Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Help w/opening ports for Steam

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:53 pm

I know nothing about port forwarding (or triggering, so I'm not even positive that forwarding is what I'm supposed to do). The quote below is from Steam's website. I've done this before with a different router, but I remember the fields being simple enough for even me to figure out how to enter the info. On this router, I'm not sure where to plug everything in. The "local port" and "public port" fields won't allow me to put in ranges. Here's what my router setup screen looks like for port forwarding. Can someone please help? It would be greatly appreciated because Rosewill's support appears to consist of sending an email, with a response in "5 days."

Your network must be configured to allow Steam access to the following ports (in order from highest to lowest priority for QoS users):

Steam Client
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
UDP 4380

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Help w/opening ports for Steam

Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:05 pm

I don't have to do anything with port forwarding on my router to let Steam work. Have you tried making it work without fiddling with your router?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:06 pm

From a quick Google it looks like Steam may support UPnP so rather than trying to open the ports by hand you could try going to the UPnP tab and enabling it if it isn't already.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Oh and if that doesn't work, you may just need to enter every single one of the ports listed by steam rather than specifying them as a range - probably quicker to write an app to talk http to the router rather than doing it by hand!

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:43 pm

bthylafh wrote:
I don't have to do anything with port forwarding on my router to let Steam work. Have you tried making it work without fiddling with your router?

Yes. Steam doesn't connect to the servers.

notfred wrote:
From a quick Google it looks like Steam may support UPnP so rather than trying to open the ports by hand you could try going to the UPnP tab and enabling it if it isn't already.

I checked that box, and now one of my computers can connect to Steam, but the other still can't. I've tried restarting that machine, uninstalling and re-installing Steam, unplugging the modem and router and plugging them back in. I've also tried unchecking the UPnP box and re-checking it on the computer that doesn't work. Still won't connect.

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:53 pm

If it helps, here's what the port triggering screen looks like (which does allow for ranges): http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/60 ... ering.png/

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:21 pm

No one I know has ever had to set and port forwarding on their router to get Steam to work. To me, it sounds more like a firewall issue then one of port forwarding. Try disabling any firewalls that you have (router and local PC firewalls), and see if Steam connects with them turned off. If so, then you'll need to open the ports on your firewall / enable the apps.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:29 pm

emorgoch wrote:
No one I know has ever had to set and port forwarding on their router to get Steam to work. To me, it sounds more like a firewall issue then one of port forwarding. Try disabling any firewalls that you have (router and local PC firewalls), and see if Steam connects with them turned off. If so, then you'll need to open the ports on your firewall / enable the apps.

I just disabled the router firewall entirely, turned off the Norton 360 "Smart Firewall" for 15 minutes, and made sure Windows Firewall wasn't on (it says its settings are being managed by Norton 360). I had also gone into Norton earlier and set all the Steam programs I saw to "allow" in the firewall settings. Still no luck.

Turd-Monkey
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:35 pm

Make sure you are running the latest firmware before you try anything else.

http://www.rosewill.com/products/1281/P ... wnload.htm

Appears that like Ver 1.1.1.47 is the newest, read the firmware_update_guide PDF on that page for instructions.

The router has 2 firmware files, one for the kernel and one for the apps, make sure to update the KNL one first.

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:11 pm

Turd-Monkey wrote:
Make sure you are running the latest firmware before you try anything else.

http://www.rosewill.com/products/1281/P ... wnload.htm

Appears that like Ver 1.1.1.47 is the newest, read the firmware_update_guide PDF on that page for instructions.

The router has 2 firmware files, one for the kernel and one for the apps, make sure to update the KNL one first.

Just updated the firmware, disabled all firewalls again, still nothing. I know everyone says they've never had to open ports for Steam before, but can you at least explain to me how to do it with this router so I can try it for $hits and giggles?

hansmuff
Gerbil

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Great resource on the topic:

http://www.portforward.com

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:20 pm

hansmuff wrote:
Great resource on the topic:

http://www.portforward.com

According this page for setting up the Steam Client on the RNX-EasyN4:
The RNX-EasyN4 will not allow you to forward enough ports, to run Steam Client. You should try using the DMZ portion of this router if it is available. Alternatively you can try switching the router to bridged mode. You will need to contact your ISP to switch to bridged mode, so they can make the required changed on their end.

WTF? I think I remember reading on Steam's website that it won't work with a DMZ (they've currently got the support site shut down due to high volume, so I can't post a link). I also don't know anything about "bridged mode." Should I really try that?

After investigating a bit more on my computer (where Steam will load up), I've realized that it's not fully functional. I can get into a game and download an update for a game, but my Friends list won't load. It says there's no connection. I don't know if this could be related to the Steam Support page also being down or if it really is related to the issue with the other computer being unable to even log in. Sigh.

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Problem solved. My idiot father was putting in the wrong account name the whole time, and for reasons that are beyond me, Steam wasn't saying that the account name was wrong. It was just saying it couldn't connect to the servers. Anyway, it's all working now (including my Friends list, even though I changed nothing). Anyway, thanks for all the help with my imaginary problem!