Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

KayDat
Gerbil In Training

Re: ATI aspect ratio scaling fix: Windows 7 + Catalyst 9.12

Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:22 am

Well after more testing, I've finalised on settings I'm happy with. Catalyst Control Centre from 8.12 , and WDDM drivers that come with Windows 7. I realised that my monitor drop out problem may have come from my IGP actually, since I run trimon. The onboard 3300 IGP was running on the latest 10.2 mainstream drivers, and may have been causing havoc. All drivers are now WDDM Win7 drivers, and scaling works fine. Only issue is that Scaling mode defaults back to centered timings whenever you move from a lower resolution back to native res.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:01 am

KayDat wrote:
Only issue is that Scaling mode defaults back to centered timings whenever you move from a lower resolution back to native res.

Do you mean a lower desktop resolution or just any time a resolution change happens?

Overall, this is an interesting find. So does using the 10.2 legacy drivers not work? Seems strange that the WDDM driver that comes with Windows 7 works since AMD should have provided that driver as well. If you don't mind, what WDDM version does dxdiag report for you?

KayDat
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:08 am

Scaling mode sticks with any res change, it only defaults back to centered after going back to naitive. For example:
  1. 1680x1050, set scaling to Maintain aspect ratio
  2. 1024x768, scaling is still set
  3. 1280x1024, scaling is still set
  4. 1680x1050, scaling resets to centered
In any case, this happened on my computer, dunno about others.
As for the drivers, the issue may be because I'm mixing legacy (my X1800) with current (IGP 3300) drivers. If I disable my third display connected to my IGP, it works fine, so if you don't run your displays off a mix of legacy and current mainline drivers, go for broke and install 10.2 legacy drivers with CCC from 8.12.

WDDM driver version for my X1800 is WDDM 1.0, whilst my IGP 3300 is WDDM 1.1.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:39 am

KayDat wrote:
Scaling mode sticks with any res change, it only defaults back to centered after going back to naitive. For example:
As for the drivers, the issue may be because I'm mixing legacy (my X1800) with current (IGP 3300) drivers. If I disable my third display connected to my IGP, it works fine, so if you don't run your displays off a mix of legacy and current mainline drivers, go for broke and install 10.2 legacy drivers with CCC from 8.12.

What I meant to ask was, if you played a game that changed to a non-native resolution, say 1024x768, after you exit the game and go back to desktop which is at your native resolution, will the scaling mode reset?

And yea, I thought as much. The Vista drivers (WDDM 1.0) have scaling working, but the Windows 7 (WDDM 1.1) ones don't seem to. I'm betting if you just used the legacy Vista drivers in your setup, it'd probably work, although you probably don't want to test anymore driver configurations at this point.

KayDat
Gerbil In Training

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:33 am

Zoomastigophora wrote:
KayDat wrote:

What I meant to ask was, if you played a game that changed to a non-native resolution, say 1024x768, after you exit the game and go back to desktop which is at your native resolution, will the scaling mode reset?

And yea, I thought as much. The Vista drivers (WDDM 1.0) have scaling working, but the Windows 7 (WDDM 1.1) ones don't seem to. I'm betting if you just used the legacy Vista drivers in your setup, it'd probably work, although you probably don't want to test anymore driver configurations at this point.

Yes, that is the case. Annoying, but at least it works; you just have to remember to set scaling mode before you start a game.

The Win7 legacy drivers are the same are the Vista ones.

Well, in my attempt to do the driver dance, I managed to trample on OpenGl...it simply won't work now. I've tried mainline 10.2, legacy 10.2, WDDM drivers, nothing can get it working again. Pretty ticked off atm...sigh.

Wolfus
Gerbil In Training

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi!
I am desperate... I have HD3850 card and Win7 Ultimate 32-bit. What should I do to switch screen mode to maintain aspect ratio??? I tried to install older version of CCC (8-12, 9-1)and all I got was control panel WITHOUT page with GPU Scaling settings. Not just grayed as in actual CCC but completely missing. The same problem I have with my wife's old office PC with Radeon 9600 Pro and WinXP32! They are both connected to same display (Lenovo l220x) - my with DVI and my wife's with D-SUB. Which version of drivers/CCC should I use on both systems? I have to say that utility from previous page does not work on either system...
Thank you very much!

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:43 pm

The legacy drivers for Windows XP should work fine for your wife since as far as I know, GPU scaling option is only greyed out for Windows 7. In your particular case, the workaround posted by morphine should work.

Wolfus
Gerbil In Training

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:02 pm

The problem is, on her PC setting is not greyed, entire page is missing...

Wolfus
Gerbil In Training

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:41 pm

Finally! I had to uninstall everything by ATI, restart, install 8_12, restart again, change res. to 1024*768 and just then whole L220X (DVI3) menu with Attributes submenu appeared... Now I have tu set-up my wife's comp. :)
Many thanks for this topic!!!

intellca
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Dude, you deserve a medal for this... Go post this solution on those hundreds of unsolved and misled posts trying to find an out for this problem!

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Heh thanks... this thread is the top Google hit so that probably won't be necessary :)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:00 pm

This issue occurs on my laptop running nvidia drivers as well as my desktop with a 5770, where the resolution must be lowered in order to adjust the GPU scaling settings. Also, apparently, no GPU can scale for VGA outputs which is fairly annoying especially when VGA is the only output option for whatever reason.

It's strange that the onus was put on the GPU of providing a properly scaled non-wide image. Previously, monitors could handle almost any resolution, but now only high end monitors can handle non-matching aspect ratios correctly when GPU scaling isn't supported. I don't see how hard it is to just get all monitors to default to letter/pillarboxing and give full-stretch options for anamorphic video sources.

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:12 pm

C-A_99 wrote:
I don't see how hard it is to just get all monitors to default to letter/pillarboxing and give full-stretch options for anamorphic video sources.

I'd wager it's because LCD monitors have become a cut-throat cost-cutting business. To do it even remotely right (that is, with "blurring" instead of pixellization), you need some sort of processor. That would increase the cost, and probably add to the image latency too.

99% of people that use an LCD monitor either A) don't use resolutions other than native, and/or B) don't care if their stuff looks stretched at all. Mostly B, really. So this way LCD makers can save $1 on every monitor they make.

Having said that, there's a fad in LCD TVs of late of using "TrueMotion" or whatever they like to call it that does frame interpolation, with horrid results IMO. Maybe these processors will trickle down to monitors and we'll have support for decent scaling, though I'm not holding my breath.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

scottiemagic
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:45 pm

SOLVED: Desktop doesn't scale correctly after updating AMD Radeon drivers/software.

My problem was that after I updated my driver (for Radeon HD3600) my monitor no longer scaled correctly. And i could not find any options for tweaking via Catalyst Control Center. After spending hours on this, reading through many boards, I stumbled across this simple fix that somehow worked for me. I went into CCC, My VGA Displays, Image Adjustments. There you'll see the screen position and size, with yellow arrows in all directions, which enable you to fine tune position/size. All I did was sort of "jiggle" the >< arrow button (which I think means squeeze image) and the whole desktop snapped into proper scale, crispy clear. That's all it was. I can't explain it -- it just worked for me.

My system is Windows 7-64 Home Premium
Graphics card is Radeon HD3600
The version of Catalyst Control Center that I upgraded to is 11.12

Hope this helps someone.

scottiemagic
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:47 pm

SOLVED: Desktop doesn't scale correctly after updating AMD Radeon drivers/software. Jan. 4/2012

My problem was that after I updated my driver (for Radeon HD3600) my monitor no longer scaled correctly. And i could not find any options for tweaking via Catalyst Control Center. After spending hours on this, reading through many boards, I stumbled across this simple fix that somehow worked for me. I went into CCC, My VGA Displays, Image Adjustments. There you'll see the screen position and size, with yellow arrows in all directions, which enable you to fine tune position/size. All I did was sort of "jiggle" the >< arrow button (which I think means squeeze image) and the whole desktop snapped into proper scale, crispy clear. That's all it was. I can't explain it -- it just worked for me.

My system is Windows 7-64 Home Premium
Graphics card is Radeon HD3600
The version of Catalyst Control Center that I upgraded to is 11.12

Hope this helps someone.

F u r u y á
Gerbil In Training

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:55 pm

morphine wrote:
- Set your resolution to anything below your usual resolution.

I'm shocked that after three years from this post, this trick still work.

I registered here just to say thanks!

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:25 pm

I'm more shocked that three years later AMD still hasn't fixed this bug.

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:33 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
I'm more shocked that three years later AMD still hasn't fixed this bug.

FWIW I'm currently using a Nvidia card, and they still have issues with setting the proper gamma on boot. Grass ain't greener anywhere. :)