Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

New build, graphics issues

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:08 am

Hey guys,

This is my first build so bare with me.

i5 2500K
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB (double dissipation)
Corsair 8BG Ram
OCZ ModXstream-Pro 600W
Hitachi 500GB

Heres the run down, I've managed to assemble everything and haven't installed Windows 7 quite yet. I turned on the comp and ran bios to make sure everything was functioning properly before installing the OS. I ran across a problem with my graphics card and can't seem to get it to work. The fans running and I've checked to ensure that it was installed properly. It is a PCI-E 2.1 and is plugged into a 3.0 slot because that's the only slot that fits. I don't get any display out of the card however, my on board graphics have no issues. If anyone has any input as to why my card isn't displaying please help. As I mentioned before, this is my first build so it has been a learning experience for me.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Re: New build, graphics issues

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:45 am

I don't get any display out of the card however, my on board graphics have no issues

Oh the power of second reading....ok so the board graphics works and PC posts fine with it, then call up the store where you bought the video card and send it for repair/replacement.

Before you do that you should double check if the card is DOA (dead on arrival) on a friend's computer that has the compatible parts (i'm talknig about PCI-E 2 expansion slot and a powerful enough PSU).

You are not correct. It's not the video card's fault, well at least you haven't determined that yet.

I'll elaborate. I had a similar issue to yours, i assembled everything, connected all cables from the PSU and case and when i powered everything up to see if it would POST (stands for power on self test) it failed to do so although all fans started working there was no image displayed on the screen, non what so ever.

At first i also thought it might have been the video card. But i soldiered on and i started checking every connection and visually inspect the components. I checked if there was a short, if i installed the RAM incorrectly, reseated CPU and cooler, reconnected every power cable from the CPU 8 pin to the start and reset cables. There was no mistake or damage i could notice.

So i started to tinker with the clear CMOS pin, i tried it like 15 times and changed the battery too till i finally got the PC to post and i accessed the BIOS. I thought i cracked it but while i was trying to install windows the Pc locked up. Again after 20 clear CMOS i managed again to make it post but after i entered the BIOS setup it locked up again, while browsing the BIOS which is a clear warning flag for either memory instability/incompatibility or mobo damage.

So i called my e-tailer, got the mobo changed with a better one (this time with one that had the integrated GPU so i could test with either the discrete or integrated to make sure it wasn't the video card's fault). Everything worked flawlessly this time around. So don't think that a new PC failing to post is immediately the video card's fault.

I would advise you to connect the monitor to the integrated GPU (VGA or DVI from the mobo I/O shield not the expansion's I/O/ where the discrete would be) and try again. If it still doesn't post you will know for sure it's not the video card.

Next would be to recheck absolutely every power cable (8 pin CPU cable, 24 pin mobo cable, video card 2 x 6 pin? cables, the SATA cable and power SATA cable to the HDD, the LED, power and reset cables from the case).

Then reseat the RAM and video card to make sure they are plugged in the right way. Afaik PCI-E 3 is backwards compatible with PCI-E 2 devices (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

Reseat CPU and CPU cooler (if you have TIM).

If it still fails to POST, try to clear the CMOS, for me it took 15 attempts, plus the replacement of the battery. If say after 20 attempts it fails to POST, you should call your retailer and follow his instructions to send the mobo for replacement.

At this point i doubt it's the video card, but there is an easy way to make sure. Ask a friend to let you test it in their systems and if it fails (make sure his PSU has enough juice though) you know what to do. I assume you got warranties for everything...
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:44 am

Check all your molex plugs have been correctly fitted and that the GPU is nicely seated in the PCI-E 3.0 bracket.

Also, worthwhile just installing windows 7 and seeing if the default display driver it installs fixes it. Maybe it's a quirk of the 6950?

Also check if you've got an old monitor that it's on the right setting. E.g. digital in etc. maybe the scan function on your monitor is dead? And it's stuck on VGA in or something.

EDIT: also just for fun, take the side of the case off with the PC turned off and unplugged and take a photo of the way you've set everything up. Could be something that someone might spot easily is off by way of a photo. :)
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Yup, sounds like you forgot to plug in the additional power located on the back/side of the card.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

JK90
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:57 pm

I sent XFX an customer support ticket today so hopefully I should get a response back soon. As for testing the card on a friends computer.. I haven't had a chance to do so but plan to try it this weekend.

I installed Windows 7 but I'm on the 30 day trial at the moment because I bought the wrong copy (upgrade instead of full version). I plan on getting a full version asap. All the plugs have been fitted properly. I'm not sure what you guys mean by the additional slot in the back. I checked for a slot but didn't see anything. I don't think it's the displays problem because it's a brand new LED display and I'm using it right now with my onboard graphics.

I tried putting the card in every slot available on my MOBO but that didn't change anything either. I also tried installing the drivers today but when I ran the software it didn't recognize my graphics card and directed to me find the drivers on the xfxforce.com website.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:52 am

Errr you just go to the amd website to get the drivers...

Right here:

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Really dumb question: (only asking because it's not obvious from what you've said): did you actually plug the monitor DVI/HDMI/VGA in cable from the back of your PC into the GPU and not into the motherboard on-board out?

Also a photo would help.

EDIT: see this video, jump to the 5 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrGWJsuAUCE

There are two x 6-pin molex plugs required to give the GPU power, both of these must be connected.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

JK90
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:36 pm

Yes I've already plugged in to the graphics card with my monitors DVI cable. I think I may have my plugged molex plugs backwards? I plugged both the 6-pins in but one of my plugs has an additional 2-pin hanging off. Could this be my problem? I'll try posting pictures today as well.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:59 am

No you plugged it correctly. It's a 8 pin (6+2 molex), your PSU has 1 x 6 pin and 1 x 8 pin (6+2 pin) PCI-E connectors:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-500w-7 ... upply.html

Connectors:

1 x 20/24-pin ATX
1 x 8-pin CPU
1x 4-pin CPU

Modular
1 x 6-pin PCI-E
1 x 6+2-pin PCI-E
4 x Peripheral
2 x Floppy
6 x SATA
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Eman17j
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:38 am

Not exactly sure of this but I have read that if u have two DVI ports only one of them works for a single monitor and the other one is for more then one monitor so try both DVI ports and see if that works also In some motherboards I have used u have to turn off the on board graphics for the installed graphic card to work.. hope this helps

parism
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Another thing to note is that, at least for my ASUS M4N98TD EVO board with two PCIE slots for the video card, the one closest to the CPU is the one to use if you only install one card.

Marty_man_X
Gerbil

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:30 pm

I had a problem like that just a few days ago on my build (with an HD 6850 though) what i did was simply plug the monitor into the the second DVI port on the card, and voiala it worked, try it
"it's a wonderfull day for pie"

JK90
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:25 pm

The GPU is plugged into the first PCIE slot closest to the CPU. I also tried both DVI ports with my monitor... I'm beginning to think either my MOBO slots have issues or my GPU is shot.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:28 pm

JK90 wrote:
The GPU is plugged into the first PCIE slot closest to the CPU. I also tried both DVI ports with my monitor... I'm beginning to think either my MOBO slots have issues or my GPU is shot.

How so? I thought you said the on-board graphics work fine?

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:33 pm

JK90 wrote:

To be 100% certain you can test the card on another system. If you can't test it just send it for repair/replacement at the store you bought it at. It's pointless to keep discussing if you don't do anything about it.

Eman17j
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Did u try going into the bios and disabling the IGP and its also possible that it might have to be set to enable pcie graphics in the bios

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Eman17j wrote:
Did u try going into the bios and disabling the IGP and its also possible that it might have to be set to enable pcie graphics in the bios

I fail to see the wisdom in this. I mean if the discrete video card doesn't work and you disable the only working IGP how would you get any video output? There was no issue for me when i first powered my PC with the monitor connected to the discrete card although the mobo had an IGP. I don't even remember disabling the IGP, i just installed the discrete drivers and i was off.

Look if he isn't getting signal it's no big mystery, either the PSU isn't adequate (it's not his case, the PSU has enough wattage and correct PCI-E molex conneters) or the video card is DOA. The chances of PCI-E expansion slots being defective or some weird CPU PCI-E controller defect is highly unlikely. He just needs to use his warranty and get a replacement. I had to do a RMA or two myself, it's quite pain free if you can pinpoint the defective component.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm

JK90 wrote:
I installed Windows 7 but I'm on the 30 day trial at the moment because I bought the wrong copy (upgrade instead of full version). I plan on getting a full version asap.

There's no need for you to go out and buy a 'full version,' you just need to do a quick registry tweak and you'll be activated and good to go. I have done this on 2 machines, clean installs using upgrade discs.

From http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win ... dia-128512

Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)

Close RegEdit.

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.

In the command line window, type: slmgr /rearm

Then tap ENTER and wait for the "Command completed successfully" dialog.

Then, close the command line window and reboot. When Windows 7 reboots, run the Activate Windows utility, type in your product key and activate windows.

If it works, you're all set. You're done. Congratulations.

If this does not work, you can try two different things:

First, ensure there are no pending Windows Updates to install. In my experience, some of these can cause this method to fail. Install them and reboot PC. Re-run the command line (with administrative privileges) noted above, reboot again, and re-attempt the activation.

Now go enjoy the money you just saved!
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

Anarchist
Gerbil

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:50 pm

JK90 wrote:

If I recall correctly there is usually a bios option which you can specify to initialize PCI-E video first. Do you have that set correctly?

JK90
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Thanks guys for sticking with me. I have already tried disabling the IGP and I have selected the PCI-E option in BIOS. I just spoke with tech support at XFX and they have told me its an issue with Virtue (SP?). Apparently, if virtue is enabled it does not allow you to run a graphics card. I was told to re-install the AMD drivers with the card connected then shut down the machine disconnect the card and install Virtue. Afterwards I need to disable the virtue program and re-install my card. It seems like a lot of unnecessary work but at this point I'm willing to try anything. If this does not work, I'm going to test my card on my friends computer and see if either my MOBO has issues or if it's my GPU. Lesson learned, I'm never going to buy an ASRock again.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:32 am

JK90 wrote:
[...]Lesson learned, I'm never going to buy an ASRock again.

Oh i learned that lesson some time ago, back when AsRock was still owned by Asus. For me, now, it's Asus or Gigabyte all the way...

Good luck.

JK90
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:23 am

Final consensus:
After going through the process of install Virtu drivers and adjusting the Virtu program settings I have once again had no success. I tested my GPU on a friends computer and the card functioned flawlessly. Well, looks like I'll be needing to send MOBO back to Newegg for either a refund or replacement (hopefully refund). Man I'm bummed...

If I'm able to receive a refund do you guys have any suggestions for a new MOBO? Preferably one that is currently running a 6950 that has been problem free

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:32 am

JK90 wrote:
Final consensus:
After going through the process of install Virtu drivers and adjusting the Virtu program settings I have once again had no success. I tested my GPU on a friends computer and the card functioned flawlessly. Well, looks like I'll be needing to send MOBO back to Newegg for either a refund or replacement (hopefully refund). Man I'm bummed...

If I'm able to receive a refund do you guys have any suggestions for a new MOBO? Preferably one that is currently running a 6950 that has been problem free

That's great, you finally found which component was bad. Well myself i sent my Asrock AMD3 mobo back to the store and instead of asking my money back i told them to keep the money and let me pay a few more bucks for a better Asus mobo. It worked out great for me in the end, hope you'll have a happy ending as well.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:15 am