Win7 user profiles question

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Win7 user profiles question

Postposted on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:58 pm

When I installed windows on my system I used the default admin profile as my own, I set up a profile for my wife w/o admin access, my 5 yo daughter w/o admin but added parental blocks, and a guest account for guests to browse the web and what not.

Looking back I'm thinking I should have left the original admin account alone and set up a separate account with admin (or not) for myself. Here are my concerns:

1.) whenever I install software and create a shortcut to desktop on My profile it creates a shortcut to all users as well.
2.) if I did have a separate account for myself, when I update drivers and system critical programs would I need to do so under the admin profile instead of a regular user account?
3.) if I want to change my profile so it's not the overall admin, is it as simple as creating a new user account and just moving over files, shortcuts, media, etc?
4.) am I over complicating the logic behind all of this and should I just leave it how it is? My main concern is whenever my wife or kids touch my computer files get moved and I end up having have shortcuts appear and disappear.

What do you guys do with your computers?
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB G-Skill ddr3 | XFX Radeon 6950 2gb | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Windows 7 64
Skullzer
Gerbil First Class

Re: Win7 user profiles question

Postposted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:03 am

You are correct. I never use my full admin account as a personal account. I run a domain at my house. I may give a person admin on a computer, but I don't make them THE admin, and I don't give them domain admin privileges. I log onto the admin account only to do things that the other accounts can't, and I don't do anything else there.

On my Macs, I do the same thing. The user accounts aren't admins, but if something needs admin credentials, I can type in the admin username and password to do it.
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:41 am

whenever I install software and create a shortcut to desktop on My profile it creates a shortcut to all users as well.

That's generally something the software's installer decides, sometimes there's an option "Install for all users" or "Install for only myself".

if I did have a separate account for myself, when I update drivers and system critical programs would I need to do so under the admin profile instead of a regular user account?

You could do, but there is no need, under any user account when you try and do something that requires Admin rights, Windows will prompt you to enter the credentials of an administrator account and it would run the operation (driver install, system config change) with those admin rights.

if I want to change my profile so it's not the overall admin, is it as simple as creating a new user account and just moving over files, shortcuts, media, etc?

If you've got the admin account setup the way you want it, why not just create a new account to be administrator, and change your account type to "Regular User"? You can rename your account from Administraor to your name too.

am I over complicating the logic behind all of this and should I just leave it how it is? My main concern is whenever my wife or kids touch my computer files get moved and I end up having have shortcuts appear and disappear.

I'm not sure why that would happen, if they are regular users they shouldn't be able to modify items under your profile.
willg
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:02 pm

It's generally a good idea to leave the administrator account alone, and create a different account for yourself. You can make your account a regular user, and give it administrator credentials when you need to do something administrative (this is a good practice) or just give your account admin rights (not so good practice, but it's what most people do).

If you do create a new account, you can go to the advanced tab of system properties, go to the user profile settings, and you can "copy" the administrator profile to your new profile, which should bring over all of the files and settings. You have to set up and log in to the new account first, and then I *think* you have to log back in as administrator to do the copy. You could also just move the files manually and configure any settings yourself, which is probably the cleanest way.
spitfire650
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. I created a new admin profile then changed my current profile to a regular account. I didn't need to fuss around with moving files and what not.
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB G-Skill ddr3 | XFX Radeon 6950 2gb | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Windows 7 64
Skullzer
Gerbil First Class

Return to Windows