Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Jambe
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

The Hunter?

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:41 pm

So I had no idea what The Hunter was until the guy that does Dead End Thrills took this series of screengrabs from it.

I don't hunt much myself (don't even have a slug shotgun for Indiana deer), and I don't know that a hunting game would be very fun... but I might check that out anyway because wow, it looks spiffy. It's also F2P.

Just thought I'd share. Also, Dead End Thrills is fantastic, and the guy behind it recently started taking user submissions.

Klanky
Gerbil

Re: The Hunter?

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Ha, same thing happened to me...saw it on Dead End Thrills and now I want to try it out. All this despite the fact that I don't hunt at all.....
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Gigabyte GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC
120 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Gigabyte B450 Aorus-M
NZXT H510
16 GB Ballistix DD4 3200

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:05 pm

What is this Dead End Thrills thingy? Artistic videogame fauxtography?

Anyway, The Hunter was pretty entertaining when I played it a year or two ago. Tracking down a single deer for twenty minutes is a lot of fun, and the outdoor environment is pretty impressive.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:34 pm

TwistedKestrel wrote:
What is this Dead End Thrills thingy? Artistic videogame fauxtography?

Yep. Some people rant its pretentiousness, but he really has produced some beautiful shots (I don't care if they're pretentious or not, really). With each screengrab he usually describes the game it was taken from and/or the various hacks and mods he used to get the shot (either that or he relays some witticism or short life story). A few of his posts are promotional or concept art (some of which seems previously unreleased) but most of it's screenshots.

All of the non-community-contributed stuff is also always available in a wallpaper format (usually 1920x1080) and much of it is also available in huge print-friendly resolution, so you could make yourself a quite-nice-looking poster if you have access to a print shop. The user-submitted stuff just has to fill the width of the page (1024 pixels) but it doesn't necessarily have a larger resolution available, and if it does it's not necessarily 1080p.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Taking another look at DET at home, I've got to admit it's pretty interesting. It must be because I am many pages into it. :P I own some of these games and haven't finished (or played) them, it's gonna kill me when they don't actually look this good. :P