Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Please just give this build a quick glance, thanks :)

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:51 am

So alternative is as you guys suggest... ditch the HDD, switch to a H61 mobo, use the spare cash to buy a large capacity SSD (120GB) and it works out to $925...

Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD
GIGABYTE GA-H61M-USB3 B3 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD

I just don't know.... I'll have to invest in some backup software to take an image of the drive periodically to feel safe about letting my dad have all his data on an SSD... (he will not do file management).
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Firestarter wrote:
Why not trust the OS on an SSD? If you get one with a proven track record (read: not Sandforce-based), I don't see the problem. For example, you could spring for an Indilix-based SSD, those are pretty cheap nowadays and reliable enough.

Indilix-based SSD? The only Indilix SSD I can think of is the new OCZ Octane. Based on SSD track records from the first three generations, I would rather get a 3rd-Gen Sandforce SSD that has had a year to get firmware fixed than a new drive. I also have to bring up the point that EVERY SSD controller has had reliability issues in 2011 (including Intel and Marvell) not just Sandforce drives. Most of those issues have been resolved however, with the exception of the Crucial m4 bug thats supposed to be fixed next week) I still agree with Firestarter that there is no reason to be afraid of installing the OS on an SSD.

NeelyCam wrote:
I disagree about the quad-core, though - I would go with i3-21xx

Suit yourself, computer technology is an exponential growth market. ~5 years ago we were just transitioning from single to dual core CPU's. 2 years before that there was no such thing as a consumer-level dual core CPU. (the Athlon 64 X2 anybody?) Today I feel like we're already in the quad core realm, even if it means 4 virtual cores. I will recognize that hyperthreading on the i3 CPU's gives them 4 virtual cores, but virtual cores do not equal physical cores in terms of performance. Especially when those 4 physical cores (Intel i5) are actually 8 virtual cores. I would peg an i3-21xx at a ~3 year life expectancy unless its for light use (word processing, internet)

Yogi, have a look at my thread on 120GB price history. SSD prices have continued to drop since those posts, the Vertex 3 120GB is currently on sale at newegg for $150 after MIR. I also dont see why you cant just copy your Dad's data to an external (or internal) HDD from time to time. No need for backup software IMO. Also, you can move the My Documents, My Music, My Pictures etc shortcut folders to an internal hdd and he would never know the difference. ie. the start menu and windows explorer sidebar shortcuts to those folders would open the folder which is being stored on the hdd. Its quite simple actually. Thats what I did with my parents, they hate change, and the new system looks exactly the same to them as the old one.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:31 pm

I just don't know.... I'll have to invest in some backup software to take an image of the drive periodically to feel safe about letting my dad have all his data on an SSD... (he will not do file management).

Yeah, WIN 7 64 does all that if you set it. (well pro anyway, all I use) :wink:

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:40 am

Build complete. OS installed. All applications installed etc. etc. and delivered it to my Dad's house.

OP updated with a photo of my terrible cable management...

Case was really really easy to work with. Loved it. Had the test cricket on in the background while I did the build.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64