Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Office 2010 - "Not responding"

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Office 2010 Word/Excel frequently hung and shows "Not responding" on the title bar. What could be the remedy?

spitfire650
Gerbil

Re: Office 2010 - "Not responding"

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:56 pm

Addons are a normal cause of this behavior. Repair installs often do wonders, as well.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:13 pm

churin wrote:
Office 2010 Word/Excel frequently hung and shows "Not responding" on the title bar. What could be the remedy?

I got that happen at work. The "IT" guy didn't gave it much thought, he just reinstalled it. Try it and report back.

Edit: As always, if the "product" is legit, the best place to ask for assistance is the "manufacturer", so Microst's forums would be a far better place to ask for guidance and fixes.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:58 pm

I saw somewhere about the Add-ins and thought I disabled it, but found it back now. It comes right back if Excel is re-launched. Anyone know how to disable the Add-ins? Otherwise, I will re-install the Office. I did its repair install but that did not fix the problem.

indeego
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:24 pm

1. Click "File" tab, and choose "Options". The "Options" window will be opened up, and click "Add-Ins" from left sidebar.
2. Select the type of add-ins you want to disable from "Manage" dropdown box at the bottom of the windows. Click "Go" to open a dialog.
3. In the dialog you can uncheck any add-ins to disable them.

We have noticed that if you ran the O2010 Beta/RC and later upgrade to 2010 final that there are several lingering issues that require a repair install and/or registry hackfest to get 2010 working right.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:42 pm

indeego wrote:
1. Click "File" tab, and choose "Options". The "Options" window will be opened up, and click "Add-Ins" from left sidebar.
2. Select the type of add-ins you want to disable from "Manage" dropdown box at the bottom of the windows. Click "Go" to open a dialog.
3. In the dialog you can uncheck any add-ins to disable them.

The above is exactly what I did.

We have noticed that if you ran the O2010 Beta/RC and later upgrade to 2010 final that there are several lingering issues that require a repair install and/or registry hackfest to get 2010 working right.

The one I am using is RTM version and Windows Update indicates there is no update. Maybe I should try the repair install one more time.