I recently purchased a Xonar DG sound card to fix a buzzing noise problem I've been having with my motherboard integrated sound. Getting the card installed was a bit of a hassle but I eventually got it working and it did get rid of the annoying buzzing sound (yay!). However, I can't get my mic to work correctly with it.
In the windows control panel I have the correct mic set as the default device and I have the mic volume and boost to full. When I select "Listen to this device" I can hear everything very clearly through the mic, and when I use the Windows Sound Recorder it records correctly. The problem is with any other application that uses a mic - Skype, Vent, Steam voice chat - in all those applications the mic sounds like just static, or nothing at all.
I've tried everything I can think of, including:
1) Uninstalling the driver for my integrated sound then disabling the integrated sound in the bios
2) Reinstalling the Xonar driver
3) Installing the unofficial Unified Xonar driver.
4) Using Driver Sweeper to remove all of the above
5) Reinstalling Windows (I've been wanting to do that for awhile anyway), with integrated sound disabled from the get go
The current situation is a fresh install of Windows. I finally gave up on the Xonar card, removed it and re-enabled my integrated sound but now I'm having the same problem with that. I'm at my wits end, this problem is driving me crazy.
OS: Windows 7
Motherboard: Asus P5B
Integrated Sound: SoundMax something or other.
Any help anyone can suggest would be greatly appreciated!