Windows 7 Libraries - crippled to the point of useless

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Windows 7 Libraries - crippled to the point of useless

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:38 am

So, I really want for this feature to be useful, but the fact that it is difficult to add a network location and the fact that you can only add folders to a library - you cannot add single files - is just stupid and kills the usefulness. Anyone else feel that way? Ugh. It makes me mad.

Edit: OK, I just got so mad at the uselessness of the whole thing that I disabled the hideously crippled feature.
Last edited by flip-mode on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Re: Windows 7 Libraries - crippled to the point of useless

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Hmm... so no one else is using libraries?
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:02 pm

One thing that annoys me is that turning them off breaks a couple of things.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:05 pm

cheesyking wrote:One thing that annoys me is that turning them off breaks a couple of things.

I have not noticed that. What breaks?
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:46 pm

just been trying to think and now it comes to it i can't remember . All that comes back to me is that it had been in use with libraries off for a few months before I ran across what it broke so it's not something you use every day.
You're being a bit harsh on libraries though, for most people they're pretty handy.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:53 pm

I don't use them myself. But I really don't have a need to, as I keep things mostly well defined, and don't have them scattered across several folders.
Intel i7 860, Asus P7P55D Pro, 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9), EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked
Seagate 7200.7 160GB, WD Caviar Black 640GB, WD Caviar Green 1TB, WD Caviar Green 2TB
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:16 pm

cheesyking wrote:You're being a bit harsh on libraries though, for most people they're pretty handy.

I'm trying to understand how. I could understand the usefulness of being able to make a library of individual documents - a way to extract the gems from the dirt, so to speak. But as it functions now, libraries are a way to combine all the dirt that I took the time to sort into different types of dirt to begin with. I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm trying to see the usefulness. I see a very small amount of usefulness here; there is some, but it seems the most useful functionality is missing.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:00 pm

flip-mode wrote:So, I really want for this feature to be useful, but the fact that it is difficult to add a network location and the fact that you can only add files to a library and you cannot add single files is just stupid and kills the usefulness. Anyone else feel that way? Ugh. It makes me mad.

I believe there is a way to add network location? However, there's a price to be paid as indexing across a network is not always smooth. I am not a heavy user of the feature, I just put multiple folders under a Library I found it to make sense (example: I can have Anime, TV, Movies, all under the Videos library. As these subfolders grow I can move them to different drives/partitions and I can still navigate them from the same starting point.).

I don't even know you can add individual files to a library? I thought it is always per folder... :oops:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:37 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
flip-mode wrote:So, I really want for this feature to be useful, but the fact that it is difficult to add a network location and the fact that you can only add files to a library and you cannot add single files is just stupid and kills the usefulness. Anyone else feel that way? Ugh. It makes me mad.

I believe there is a way to add network location? However, there's a price to be paid as indexing across a network is not always smooth. I am not a heavy user of the feature, I just put multiple folders under a Library I found it to make sense (example: I can have Anime, TV, Movies, all under the Videos library. As these subfolders grow I can move them to different drives/partitions and I can still navigate them from the same starting point.).

I don't even know you can add individual files to a library? I thought it is always per folder... :oops:

Sorry, typo in my original post, should have said: you can only add folders - you cannot add single files. Fixed first post.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:42 pm

They worked fine for what they're meant for?

I have too many video files to fit on one hard drive so I leave them on two and just combine them into a single library. Seems to work fine.
ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:They worked fine for what they're meant for?

I have too many video files to fit on one hard drive so I leave them on two and just combine them into a single library. Seems to work fine.

OK, I can see the benefit of libraries when working with multiple hard drives, though that is still useless to me.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Return to Windows