Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Mr. Bamboo Head
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Vertex 2 Dead

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:17 am

Sunburn74 wrote:
I still feel threatening OCZ with BBB complaints/suits reflects poorly on consumers in general and wouldn't be surprised if the costs such upgrades given to avoid frivolous complaints, bad press, etc ultimately aren't passed down to us all.

If I am a dick for saying so, then I apologize.

+1.

joselillo_25
Gerbil

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 am

You can count another 2 horror histories with vertex (1 and 2) here. Two disk suddenly dead with no aparent reason. Changed for a new one with no cost and no questions, at least this was good. One of them in a computer with a PSU unit. I love ssd technology but this scares me a bit. Probably I would try with another brand in the future.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:32 pm

Sunburn74 wrote:
I still feel threatening OCZ with BBB complaints/suits reflects poorly on consumers in general and wouldn't be surprised if the costs such upgrades given to avoid frivolous complaints, bad press, etc ultimately aren't passed down to us all.

You're not. If a company offers a warranty to repair or replace a product with a product of equal or greater value for a failure occuring within "n" days of first sale, and the product fails within "n" days of first sale, and the company makes arrangements to repair or replace it with a product of equal or greater value, then the person who responds to that with angry threats is the one who needs to go find a cold shower.

Having multiple product failures in a short time period is frustrating, no doubt, but losing one's religion over it usually doesn't help matters.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:35 pm

I wonder if this thread is an indication that OCZ's customer support has improved, but their products are problematic...?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:44 pm

Well, the drive is off to OCZ. I'm curious to see what they send back. I'm guessing either a Vertex 3 or Agility 3? I don't really care. I just want a reliable drive. Seems the newest replacements from OCZ are okay?
I wish I had gone to med school.

equivicus
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:59 pm

Thought I should post this. I use a Vertex 2 in my work laptop. Most of my valuable data is stored on-net but reading this thread reminds me I need to take a snapshot of the drive. The firmware version was the latest at the time I bought this drive.. probably very old?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:12 am

joselillo_25 wrote:
You can count another 2 horror histories with vertex (1 and 2) here. Two disk suddenly dead with no aparent reason. Changed for a new one with no cost and no questions, at least this was good. One of them in a computer with a PSU unit. I love ssd technology but this scares me a bit. Probably I would try with another brand in the future.

Well to be fair ALL Indilinx drives had problems with firmware until very recently (as in a few months ago). The original Sandforce drives are similarly inundated with failures.

After updating my pair of original Indilinx drives with the SuperTalent firmware (whatever the newest one is, other vendors are SLOW in getting updates out) they are once again performing well and extremely stable. My Vertex 3s and my fiancee's Agility 3 are cranking along with the newest firmware with nary a complaint.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:15 pm

Sunburn74 wrote:

Of course they are. This is why all those websites/books/crap/etc. that are devoted to saving $10 here and there by being a complete dick in life are annoying as f)&_ to actual consumers that want to consume and you know chat to someone like a person if they do have a problem. If I worked for one of these companies and the first email I get when someone isn't happy that we are REPLACING their supposably broken drive (when we don't know what they've been doing with it for the last 7 months and we already gave them a replacement drive!) with a NEW model and they whinging and moaning about going to the BBB because we're not good enough for them... I'd be PISSED. Unfortunately for you you might have your Vertex 3, but they've got your address. Be warned. :P
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:43 pm

The Swamp wrote:
Well, the drive is off to OCZ. I'm curious to see what they send back. I'm guessing either a Vertex 3 or Agility 3? I don't really care. I just want a reliable drive. Seems the newest replacements from OCZ are okay?
If you go to OCZ'S RMA Lookup, you can see what model you'll be receiving.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:08 pm

I would be very curious if it is a lost MBR / partition table.

OP, can you bootup via a systemrescuecd and see if testdisk finds any partitions? Does fdisk -l display it?

For mechanical drives, I make sfdisk -d and dd bs=512 count=1 backups, but I don't know if that would really be of help to these sorts of failures.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Well, that sucks. From the website, it sounds like they are replacing it with another Vertex 2. Why would they send out defective drives to replace defective drives? That makes no sense. Unless the Vertex 2 upgraded the Sandforce controller in mid-production? If not, it sounds to me like I've got another ticking time bomb.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:51 am

The Swamp wrote:
Well, that sucks. From the website, it sounds like they are replacing it with another Vertex 2. Why would they send out defective drives to replace defective drives? That makes no sense. Unless the Vertex 2 upgraded the Sandforce controller in mid-production? If not, it sounds to me like I've got another ticking time bomb.

Well... if the issue was a bug in the firmware, they could indeed have upgraded it to prevent it from happening again.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:36 am

It looks like they are using 1.35, which is also failing. It sounds like a design flaw in the controller itself.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:53 pm

The Swamp wrote:
It looks like they are using 1.35, which is also failing. It sounds like a design flaw in the controller itself.

Still could be a firmware issue (that they just haven't fixed yet). But yeah, a firmware flaw that never gets fixed might as well be a bug in the silicon as far as the user is concerned.

That sucks.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:48 pm

I don't use the laptop for much, except when I'm at CLEs and other places where I need portable computing. It's just getting slow, and I imagine the drive would make a huge difference. I guess I'll just RMA the new one when it craps out and hopefully by then they will be replacing them with Vertex 3s.