Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

BloodSoul
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Strong entry-level subwoofer

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm putting together a home theater system for my sister's family, currently it has:
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Quintet-T ... 091&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-Channel- ... 115&sr=8-1

The sound is nice, but it is obviously missing bass... any suggestions for a subwoofer to pair these with? I've been looking around in the 200-350 price range and have found a couple decent offers... but nothing that has wowed me (almost pulled the trigger on the klipsch synergy series... but I'm afraid of the bad amps that come with them).

Thanks

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Re: Strong entry-level subwoofer

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Try the subwoofers at PartsExpress.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:56 pm

For a system with mains that are basically satellites, pretty much anything in the 8-10" range with at least a 200W amp will fill the hole. Too big or powerful and it will overwhelm the soundstage.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:23 pm

If you're not in any rush, NewEgg runs great deals on Polk and/or Klipsch subs (and sometimes others) every couple-three weeks or so.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:41 am

The link you gave for the speakers had the solution on it: Klipsch Synergy SUB-12.

Other options:
Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series
Klipsch SUB10 10"

Any decent powered sub that will get down into the 30-40Hz range should do. Unless you know what you are looking for, stay with the name brands. You can get better and/or cheaper going no name, but you have to have some idea of what the specs mean and what to look for: over-rated amps and undersized magnets, etc. If you want to stay with Klipsch, I'd probably go with the Sub-10 as it will be a good balance between cost and oomph.

Oh, how big a room?

--SS