Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

codedivine
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fujifilm F70EXR

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Got a Fujifilm F70EXR. I know this is an old model, but got it for pretty cheap when a local retailer was clearing old stock.
Seems to have pretty good reviews and the EXR modes seem interesting.
10MP, 10x optical zoom and a relatively large sensor.
Thoughts? Anyone used one?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Fujifilm F70EXR

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Keep in mind that once you switch to SN mode for low light pictures it will be 6MP. I find that a bit misleading but the results do speak for themselves. It was at one point on my shortlist of "if I have to buy one now". I managed to hold off long enough for the Canon S90/95.

Some complained about the UI and the slowness in terms of focusing and shot-to-shot. This is something you have to try to see if you can work with. I think the 70EXR already has the shallow DOF effect (blurry background) mode, which will be fun to play with.

Keep exploring and enjoy your pictures! Mind if I ask which camera did you upgrade from or you are a new camera owner?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

codedivine
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Keep in mind that once you switch to SN mode for low light pictures it will be 6MP. I find that a bit misleading but the results do speak for themselves. It was at one point on my shortlist of "if I have to buy one now". I managed to hold off long enough for the Canon S90/95.

Some complained about the UI and the slowness in terms of focusing and shot-to-shot. This is something you have to try to see if you can work with. I think the 70EXR already has the shallow DOF effect (blurry background) mode, which will be fun to play with.

Keep exploring and enjoy your pictures! Mind if I ask which camera did you upgrade from or you are a new camera owner?

Thanks for the tips! I use a Nokia N8 for day to day use. I have also used a Sony H2, which had a great 12x optical zoom, but never played with any settings and usually left it in auto-mode most of the time. While I really like the N8, I missed the optical zoom so I got this. I got the F70 for around $80+tax which I think is a good price.

As for the camera, in the package materials, Fujifilm is touting its "Pro focus mode" for the shallow DOF you mentioned and a "Pro low-light mode" which you mention lowers the resolution (which is ok with me). As for autofocus time, there is a setting for power options that allows you to either prioritize power saving (default), or to go to a faster autofocus so i will try both of those and see which one suits me.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:30 pm

codedivine wrote:
"Pro low-light mode" which you mention lowers the resolution (which is ok with me).

EXR SN is a mode of the sensor. [url]PLL[/url] seems to be totally different, one article I read suggested it is not good for shooting low light with handheld, since the F70EXR shot the 4 pics in the metered speed. The newer ones shot at faster shutter speeds. Try both, they look pretty good in terms of improving noise and captured detail. Fun times ahead. ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.