Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Newegg won't sell me Rosewill keyboards?

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:47 pm

If I try to add any Rosewill keyboard to my cart, then view the cart, I get:
Newegg wrote:
This product cannot be shipped to IL. Please remove from cart or change destination.

There's a little question mark icon; if I click it, I get:
Newegg wrote:
This product cannot be shipped to IL, NC and NY.
Due to state or local laws and manufacturer or shipping carrier restrictions, we are unable to deliver certain products to all geographical locations.

So... IL, NC and NY have outlawed Rosewill keyboards for some reason...? WTF?!?? :-?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Newegg won't sell me Rosewill keyboards?

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:57 pm

So many possibilities for jokes, and I think all of them take me into R&P territory, so....

You should try emailing NewEggg about this. I'd love to know the actual basis for it. Is it a tax issue or something else (I could see IL and NY having something like an anti-sweatshop laws that NewEgg's house brand runs afoul of because they haven't jumped through the certification right hoops or something, but I can't see NC fitting into that). Maybe UPS just doesn't like you? Or they don't like keyboards?

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:07 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
So many possibilities for jokes, and I think all of them take me into R&P territory, so....

You should try emailing NewEggg about this. I'd love to know the actual basis for it. Is it a tax issue or something else (I could see IL and NY having something like an anti-sweatshop laws that NewEgg's house brand runs afoul of because they haven't jumped through the certification right hoops or something, but I can't see NC fitting into that). Maybe UPS just doesn't like you? Or they don't like keyboards?

Already e-mailed them, haven't gotten a reply yet.

Other brands of keyboards are fine, as are other Rosewill branded products (aside from mice... my office mate just discovered the ban apparently covers Rosewill mice as well).

So it would appear that Rosewill input devices are illegal in IL (and two other states).

Bizarre.

r00t61
Gerbil

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 pm

I am seeing the same error. Odd. I have a unicomp model M clone myself, that got shipped from KY just fine to IL. Don't see any logical reason for RW mechanical keyboards to be labeled as "dangerous terrorist goods" or whatever.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Maybe, it is some ewaste related issue.

"Oh noes! The keyboard contains heavy metals!"

Just a thought.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Krogoth wrote:

Just a thought.

Yeah, that thought occurred to me. But isn't California even more anal about that kind of stuff? Why just IL, NC and NY?

apertur3
Gerbil

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:10 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

Just a thought.

Yeah, that thought occurred to me. But isn't California even more anal about that kind of stuff? Why just IL, NC and NY?

For the record, California is more anal about everything.
[i73770][32GB DDR3-1600][Win8.1 Pro][ASRock B75][NZXT Source][GTX970-4GB][Dell U3011][240GB SSD][1TB 7K1000][Seasonic M12II 620]
[Yamaha RX-V663][Paradigm Mini Monitor][Velodyne DLS-4000R][Schiit Modi] [ThinkPad T420]

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:58 pm

Sell-able for Alaska
Costs $19.27 to ship = $129.26
Last edited by biffzinker on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:58 pm

apertur3 wrote:

But, in a good way :D
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:17 pm

ericfulmer wrote:
apertur3 wrote:

But, in a good way :D
Nope.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Try ordering same model on Amazon, see what happens (I can't do that since I don't live in IL)...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

r00t61
Gerbil

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:44 pm

JohnC wrote:
Try ordering same model on Amazon, see what happens (I can't do that since I don't live in IL)...

Well, for what it's worth, I did try ordering the same keyboard from Amazon, and it went through no problem.

Who knows, maybe Newegg is having a mob feud with IL-NY-NJ syndicate or something.

no51
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:21 pm

kinda weird since cherry corp i think is based in ill.

but then again, there was that thing where they were talking about adding sales tax to all online transactions my dad was talking about. or maybe he's just crazy.
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Intel i7 2600k - Corsair H60 - Win 7 Pro x64
16gb Corsair DDR3 1600 - Sapphire 7970 - Gateway FPD2485W
2x320gb RAID0 - 4x1000gb RAID5 - Antec Signature 850W - Tagan Black Pearl
X-Fi Fatal1ty - Logitech X-540 - RK-9000 - G9

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:30 pm

r00t61 wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Well, for what it's worth, I did try ordering the same keyboard from Amazon, and it went through no problem.

Who knows, maybe Newegg is having a mob feud with IL-NY-NJ syndicate or something.

Also, I dunno if you noticed or not, but shipping price on Amazon should be slightly cheaper than on Newegg, even though you're buying the keyboard directly from Rosewill and not from Amazon. So much for Rosewill being supposedly a "Newegg's own re-branding brand"... Maybe Newegg should WASTE less $$$ on bribing (ok, "sponsoring" :wink: ) the hardware review sites and instead intelligently invest their funds into better and more reliable (without those unknown "cannot ship to random states" errors) shipping options for their customers? :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:14 pm

no51 wrote:
kinda weird since cherry corp i think is based in ill.

Not even close... they're based in Germany! (You're probably thinking of Molex...)

In any case, AFAIK the Rosewill mechanicals aren't rebranded Cherry keyboards, they just use Cherry switches. And the ban on sales to IL seems to be *all* of Rosewill's keyboards, not just the mechanicals.

no51 wrote:
but then again, there was that thing where they were talking about adding sales tax to all online transactions my dad was talking about. or maybe he's just crazy.

If it was something like that it would affect everything, not just Rosewill keyboards/mice.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:11 am

just brew it! wrote:
And the ban on sales to IL

There is no "ban on sales", most likely Newegg just screwed up something in their billing/payment/shipment system... Or perhaps they have an agreement with some other retailer :wink: where they will not sell certain items to certain states. Anyways, you can freely buy Rosewill keyboards in IL or NY, just from other retailers.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:42 am

JohnC wrote:
There is no "ban on sales",

OK, yeah that's an exaggeration. But it is effectively a ban (even if self-imposed) on Newegg shipping those products to three states.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:55 am

Not sure what the issue is, but it IS still current. And I somehow doubt it's an error on their end. JBI - you get a reply back yet from the email you sent?

Shipped to Chicago, IL results in:

Shipped to Detroit, MI results in:

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:14 pm

thegleek wrote:
Not sure what the issue is, but it IS still current. And I somehow doubt it's an error on their end. JBI - you get a reply back yet from the email you sent?

Yes. The reply was totally clueless (they basically said "the item you tried to order must have been out of stock").

I asked again, this time giving them the product #s for two examples which are definitely in stock and exhibit this issue. Haven't gotten a reply on my second e-mail yet.

As an aside, this isn't an emergency so I'm not in any hurry to find an alternate source or have someone out-of-state reship keyboards for me (got a PM from someone offering to do that). I was just looking to replenish the stock of spare keyboards in the office IT closet when I stumbled across this issue...

Edit: And no, we don't buy Rosewill's Cherry-based mechanical keyboards for general office use! We typically get the basic 104-key rubber dome ones. They're reliable and cheap... good value.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:41 pm

This must have something to do with where it's shipped FROM and where it's shipped TO. I know NC has been doing some screwy things with sales tax for online ordering.

Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Marked for curiosity's sake. Newegg takes a further beating after a thread on Slashdot about refurb HD's with existing data left on them. As much business as I have sent their way, they clearly aren't what they used to be.

Time to snap up some of those Rosewill KBs and advertise them in the affected states at a markup :D
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Oh God... PEOPLE, JUST BUY IT AT OTHER RETAILER, you can do it through Amazon with 0 issues for all Rosewill products (including keyboards) regardless of your shipping address, for cheaper price (when including shipping price) than on Newegg... Who cares why Newegg has this weird shopping issues???

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Man this is making me want to try and get through to Newegg's legal department.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:02 pm

I still won't believe in your assumptions unless a representative from Newegg will officially confirm them and explicitly explain why I can't buy those items on Newegg but can still do that at (for example) Amazon (b.t.w, when you're buying Rosewill's products at Amazon, you're dealing directly with Rosewill - Amazon just provides a "storefront" for them). It just doesn't make any logical sense why would same exact company (Rosewill) have different "restrictions" for different resellers when shipping same exact product to same exact shipping location.

plonk420
Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:07 pm

not sure why you'd want one. i have the "Rosewill RIKB-11001 X-Slim Keyboard with Low Profile Chiclet Keycap Design" that i got on a ShellShocker. never again. (of course my one experience covers ALL rosewill keyboards, lol ;)

**** up-feeling tactile feedback, can't find home/end by the usual gaps between key rows. same with arrow keys. at least it has dedicated vol/mute buttons, unlike My Favorite Keyboard In The World, the Logitech Ultra X.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:10 pm

plonk420 wrote:
My Favorite Keyboard In The World, the Logitech Ultra X.

I'll take your logitech ultra x and raise it with the logitech k750

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:11 pm

plonk420 wrote:
not sure why you'd want one. i have the "Rosewill RIKB-11001 X-Slim Keyboard with Low Profile Chiclet Keycap Design" that i got on a ShellShocker. never again. (of course my one experience covers ALL rosewill keyboards, lol ;)

Chiclet-style keyboards pretty much suck by definition, no matter who makes them. Rosewill's scissor-key and mechanical keyboards are decent. I own a couple of RK-9000s (mechanical), and we use their scissor-key keyboards as replacements for the stock HP desktop keyboards at work.

JohnC wrote:
I still won't believe in your assumptions unless a representative from Newegg will officially confirm them

I am still waiting for a response from them.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Chiclet-style keyboards pretty much suck by definition, no matter who makes them. Rosewill's scissor-key and mechanical keyboards are decent. I own a couple of RK-9000s (mechanical), and we use their scissor-key keyboards as replacements for the stock HP desktop keyboards at work.

That's like saying all Gueuze style beer sucks and one prefers only Gose style'd beers.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:19 pm

thegleek wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

That's like saying all Gueuze style beer sucks and one prefers only Gose style'd beers.

Have you ever used a chiclet-style keyboard that you liked? I haven't...

Edit: And salty beer is just plain odd. Not terrible, mind you... but pretty strange. I'll take the Gueuze over the Gose, thank you very much!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Have you ever used a chiclet-style keyboard that you liked? I haven't...

Never. Until my very first purchase of my MBP years ago. Then I discovered Logitech made a similar kb for the pc (K750/K800), I'll never go back I tell ya!

just brew it! wrote:
Edit: And salty beer is just plain odd. Not terrible, mind you... but pretty strange. I'll take the Gueuze over the Gose, thank you very much!

omfg! ROFL! when we hanging out next? i gotta make a trip up to New Glarus one weekend...