Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Why am I Obese?

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Desired body mass varies from individual to individual. It is just foolhardy to setup a system that indicates at x height and weight is ideal or not. BMI is just a guideline at best.

I am kinda on the lean side with a little beer-belly going on. (160, 5' 11"). I always had that belly since I was a little lad.

I am able to run five to six miles straight with some fatigue at the end. It just takes ~20 mintues of rest and some water I am back to 95%. I did bike like 50-60 Miles a week during this past summer on hilly roads. I did with a bike that lack a "granny" gear. My legs were usually killing me at the end of a biking session, but felt great after I had rested.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:20 pm

The first time I set foot on a WiiFit it said I was overweight, and that was about 10 pounds ago. I'm 6'3 and at about 240 right now. Granted, I was at about 210 a year and a half ago, I was also in the best shape of my life (think rowing every day, running upwards of 5 miles a day). I'm not in great shape right now, but obese is out of the question. I still have definition in my chest and legs and would gladly take my shirt of at the beach or something. I really do need to get back in shape though :-( . Maybe we need a TR Diet Challenge or something. I believe there was one on here before.

On a side note, my roomate is doing P90X and is almost done with his first month. He has lost about 15 pounds and says he feels stronger that ever.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:25 am

Time for the come-back of the fitness thread!

So doing a search on these entire TR forum history, not much at all has come up for the P90X system. And more so, no results come up for the CrossFit training.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of those programs and how easy they are to "start" with, even after the lack of exercise for the past 20+ years! :oops:

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:32 pm

5 foot 9 and 170lbs, very skinny, but muscular build.

For me the thing that had the biggest impact on my fitness was back in the summer. I put on a bunch of weight when my job put me behind a desk for a few months. My exercise routine includes a 3 mile run every night, and weight training 3 times a week. Obviously not as much as I probably could do, but it's always been enough. I've always had a job though that kept me physically active for 8 of the 10 hours each day. When I didn't have that I started noticing a difference right away. Now that I'm back to a physically demanding workload each day I seem to be back to normal.

It makes me wonder how much harder one would have to exercise each day if they had a job with zero physical activity for years. Yikes.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:13 pm

thegleek wrote:
Time for the come-back of the fitness thread!

So doing a search on these entire TR forum history, not much at all has come up for the P90X system. And more so, no results come up for the CrossFit training.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of those programs and how easy they are to "start" with, even after the lack of exercise for the past 20+ years! :oops:

My brother did P90X - it 'works' in the sense that it's a really, really hardcore intense workout. Nothing for free ; )

my parents (marathon runners and my dad's an ironman) circle of friends all do crossfit and are in great shape.
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:20 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
It makes me wonder how much harder one would have to exercise each day if they had a job with zero physical activity for years. Yikes.

Yeah... I'm about to answer that rhetorical question for you. I'm 6'4", around 285 pounds. I've been sedentary to some extent or another my whole life. I've been smoking for about 15 years, light but consistent. (Just quit, but committed to staying away from now on.) I'm not ridiculously fat, but I'm pretty close. Now that I've quit smoking, I'm moving into some seriously low intensity workouts (mostly treadmill till I'm confident my heart wouldn't explode under more), and I'll be working up until I like the looks of the guy in the mirror, or I die.

So... If my posts suddenly stop, it's the latter. Otherwise, I'll try to remember to post some stuff here.

For a baseline:

Currently going up a single flight of stairs can wind me. When I exert myself at all, I become aware of my heatbeat (heavy and loud). I'm probably in worse shape than anyone I've ever met, only my somewhat-OK eating habits have kept me from the grave so far.
Last edited by Forge on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:40 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:

Most people who are fit (and stay fit) are generally the younger crown (20-30 years old).. Don't believe me?

Go to ANY gym and tell me the percentage of old fatties in there aged over 40? Probably not many.

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Theres always people at the other end though. I'm just barely under 6', and I struggle to keep my weight in between 130-135. I weight myself everyday to make sure that I haven't dropped below 130. When I do, I try and pig out.

I don't really excerise so much as I have a high level of inactive movement. I twitch, fidget, and spaz all my calories away.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:08 pm

I'm about 195-200 lbs and about 6'1". This means that I have a BMI of about 26 or slightly over, which tips me into the "overweight" category. I have a larger upper body, and even when I was in really good shape (probably as low as 15% body fat) in my mid twenties (now early thirties) when doing triathlons and working out frequently, I never weighed much less than 185 lbs (though i probably had a bit more muscle mass then). I remember having a physical a couple of years ago. A nurse weighed me and measured my height. When the doctor came in, she started asking me about my exercise habits, then took one look at me and said something like "Oh, you look fine, nevermind"... That said, I'd like to get back to 185 lbs if I can get myself off my ass more regularly as my waist size has gone up about two inches over the last 5 years or so. But even at 185 lbs, I'd still just barely squeeze in at under 25 kg/m^2 (ie, normal BMI).

BMI is a useful antrhopometric measure for large epidemiologic studies/descriptive stats. It is accurate enough for most of the general population, that, overall, if sample size is large enough, doesn't generally introduce too much bias, especially if it is not the main variable of interest in an analysis. The fact is that height and weight data are often already available on most people, and if not, are easy to measure. This is the main reason why BMI is commonly used. To get more valid anthropometric measures, (ie, % body fat, or perhaps ratio of abdominal body fat to overall body fat - which can be particularly important if interested in predictors of heart disease, etc) it costs researchers much more time and money and is more onerous for subjects being measured as these measures are not easily obtained. Therefore BMI's popularity is more due to feasibility than anything else.

BMI as an indicator of individual adipostiy (fatness), as others have said, is often misleading. However, it still is useful as an indicator for how husky you are (whether due to muscle or fat) relative to the rest of the population.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:15 pm

thegleek wrote:
Most people who are fit (and stay fit) are generally the younger crown (20-30 years old).. Don't believe me?

Go to ANY gym and tell me the percentage of old fatties in there aged over 40? Probably not many.

I'm about to leave the younger 'crown' and I don't go to the gym. I did when I was younger, but now that I've had a good job I've been able to afford the equipment I use at home. My treadmill, multi-purpose bench, weights, exercise ball, et.c.

While I imagine many of the oldies who used to go to the gym HAVE this equipment, I wonder how many actually use it. I keep my little home gym in my office. It serves a couple purposes. I can watch my stuff on the computer while I work out. The computer heats up the room so I can get a good sweat going, and it is in the room while I sit on my butt playing games guilting me into using the stuff.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:22 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
The computer heats up the room so I can get a good sweat going

Seems like a good opportunity to add yoga to your workout routine. No equipment (other than a mat and maybe a block or two) required! I've just started doing yoga recently (ashtanga mostly - the other styles I find a kinda slow and boring as I'm not quite getting into the meditation aspect yet), and as someone who has just left the "younger crown" am finding it a good way to retain some of the flexibility and core strength from days of yore.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:34 pm

I was considering it while I was stuck behind a desk. Now that I'm up and about at work again I seem to be as limber as I ever was.

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Everyone is different. 5'11", anywhere between usually in the 170 - 180 range. I'm an IT guy, sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day, plus general computer and TV time. I generally don't over eat, but have more sugar than I should. But I've been playing ultimate frisbee at least twice a week for the last 6 years (usually 3 nights plus 6 or 7 weekend long tournaments in the summer), and started curling as well during the fall/winter season for the last 2 years.

Given my generally sedentary lifestyle before compared to now, I probably should have been a good 30 lbs heavier, but between a high metabolism and fidgeting, I was saved. Now that I've hit my late 20's, I'm seeing the metabolism slow down, so I'm starting to pay a little more attention to what I eat.

As for the P90 system, several of the guys that I play with use it, and are generally happy with it. Never tried it myself. From what I understand, it's more geared to those who have a decent athleticism to them already and are looking to take things up a level.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:14 pm

I'm 5'8" and about 165 pounds which is just a hair into the obese range for BMI, I could definitely improve my fitness but am I obese? Naw, BMI is far too harsh if it classifies someone like me as obese.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:22 pm

After almost a year of working out and watching what I eat I'm stuck at down 70 lbs or so, and 8-10" off my waist (still in the mid 40s). I want another 6" off or so but I seem stuck and it's hacking me off.

Getting really frustrated, but seriously, screw the BMI. I can take a pair of 80 lb dumbbells off the floor and shove them above my head a few times. And I can do a 6 mile roundtrip from the canyon floor to the rim and back in about 2.5 hours (with insane vertical, in the summer heat). Still got a large gut and still obese on that damn calculator.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:28 pm

I always thought the BMI was used for political purposes of making all of the voters desire government intervention on what other people should eat. Basically another grab for power. I am 6'0" and 195 and obese. Whatever. I think my massive noggin takes up a good 100lbs of the weight, not to mention the other 50lbs in my privates depending on mood ;-).

Seriously though, I have a bit of fat on the waist, but I consider that a 7-day insurance policy on starvation.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Meanwhile, it becomes increasingly more difficult to discern where the chair ends and I start, or vice versa.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 pm

blitzy wrote:
I'm 5'8" and about 165 pounds which is just a hair into the obese range for BMI, I could definitely improve my fitness but am I obese? Naw, BMI is far too harsh if it classifies someone like me as obese.

yar 5'9" here and over 220lbs.. i need to lose 30-40lbs. i blame the beer. i am trying to follow this right now:

eff carbs and pop. all protein for me mofos!

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:44 pm

thegleek wrote:

So you're laying off the beer? If so, you've got a lot more willpower than I do!

I'd also like to know where you're finding those pasture raised fish... :lol:

I think I could lose 10-20 pounds easy if I could just lay off the snacks. (There's that willpower thing again... :roll:)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:33 am

@OP do you live in the US? If so we are talking about the country that VOTED for pizza to be considered a vegetable. You are fat yes, but obese...idk, i thought the defition of this word refered to people morbidly fat.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:52 am

Arclight wrote:
You are fat yes, but obese...idk, i thought the defition of this word refered to people morbidly fat.

The people who define such things in this country keep lowering the bar. What used to be "slightly overweight" is now "obese", and what used to be "obese" is now "morbidly obese".

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:47 am

Ok if the term obese doesn't mean the same for everyone, i'd like to ask OP to tell us in which of the following categories he could be classified:
1. Healthy (normal weight)
2. Big (slightly overweight)
3. Husky (clearly overweight)
4. Fluffy (obese)
5. DAYUM! (morbidly obese)
6. Oh HELL NO! (a freak of nature)
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:27 am

If your body fat % is below ~20% and your waist measurement is below 95 cm (~38 inch) (for males only) then you are perfectly healthy.

If your body fat % is below ~12% then you are an elite athlete.

For women the body fat % goes up a little bit and the waist comes down a little bit (i don't know what they are meant to be).
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:52 am

just brew it! wrote:
thegleek wrote:

So you're laying off the beer? If so, you've got a lot more willpower than I do!

Nope, that's the only thing I won't give up. It makes for an interesting battle.

just brew it! wrote:
I'd also like to know where you're finding those pasture raised fish... :lol:

I just do the best I can with whatever situation I find myself in.

Example: Qdoba. I order a "naked" burrito withOUT the rice or tortilla shell. I select either the black or pinto beans. Load it up with grilled veggies, fajita veggies, select from a wide variety of meats (chicken & pork being my top picks), then add the salsas, very little cheese, no sour cream, and a dollop of guacamole! so good. yum. and i usually get unsweetened iced tea or water w/lemon to drink.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:22 am

Arclight wrote:
Ok if the term obese doesn't mean the same for everyone, i'd like to ask OP to tell us in which of the following categories he could be classified:
1. Healthy (normal weight)
2. Big (slightly overweight)
3. Husky (clearly overweight)
4. Fluffy (obese)
5. DAYUM! (morbidly obese)
6. Oh HELL NO! (a freak of nature)
I see that you're a fan of Gabriel Iglesias.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:36 am

thegleek wrote:
Example: Qdoba. I order a "naked" burrito withOUT the rice or tortilla shell. I select either the black or pinto beans. Load it up with grilled veggies, fajita veggies, select from a wide variety of meats (chicken & pork being my top picks), then add the salsas, very little cheese, no sour cream, and a dollop of guacamole! so good. yum. and i usually get unsweetened iced tea or water w/lemon to drink.

Hate to break it to you, but black/pinto beans are still loaded with carbs! Yes, they've got a lot more protein than most other plant-based foods (which is why vegetarians are supposed to eat them as a source of protein), but they still have 3x more carb than protein by weight. It is not my intent to discourage you from eating black/pinto beans, they're good for you! But if you're thinking that naked burrito is low carb you're kidding yourself.

FWIW soybeans (e.g. tofu) have a much higher percentage of protein. Unfortunately, soybeans are also rather high in fat... and tofu doesn't work nearly as well as a burrito filling! :lol:

And I think I may try doing a naked burrito that way too. Sounds tasty!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:00 am

Then I give up. I am trying to curb my normal ways of eating into something that resembles a healthier option. Carbs is something (impossible) to cut out completely. If I am removing all white starches (grains, rice, bread, etc) from my diet, what's the harm in that? It's basically close to a low glycemic diet.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:09 am

thegleek wrote:
Then I give up. I am trying to curb my normal ways of eating into something that resembles a healthier option. Carbs is something (impossible) to cut out completely. If I am removing all white starches (grains, rice, bread, etc) from my diet, what's the harm in that? It's basically close to a low glycemic diet.

I'm sure it is 10x healthier than what you were doing before!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:12 am

just brew it! wrote:
I'm sure it is 10x healthier than what you were doing before!

Before: Subs from (jimmy johns, subway, tubbys, quiznos, and blimpees), Pizza (from everywhere), fast food galore (wendys, mcdonalds, arbys, del taco, taco bell, burger king, etc)
Now: mostly qdoba, chiptole, home cooked meals

Before: beer, mt dew, any sugared/HFCS pop, GOD I LOVE SUGAR!!!
Now: unsweetened iced tea, coffee, and water (oh ****... and BEER)

Before: n/a
Now: vitamin D (1000-2000mg), Coq10, omega-3 stuff

before: nothing
now: crossfit training (beginning stages)

I still think I started this WAY too late in my life. I shoulda minded my health better in the past 20 years...

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:47 am

A serving of black beans from Qdoba only has 36g of carbs, but 20g of it are from fiber. Also, they do have 13g of protein. I think the benefit of the protein and fiber outweigh the "bad" carbs. My biggest complaint with Qdoba, and pretty much every other restaurant, is the ridiculous amount of sodium used in their food. Yeah, I know it makes food taste better, but it's way too much. If you were to eat a naked burrito with grilled chicken, black beans, guacamole, cheese, grilled vegetables, pico de gallo, and salsa roja, you will be eating a whopping 1880mg of sodium! And that's only if the guy making your food is giving you the correct serving size (i.e. not likely). That's more than 80% of your suggested daily sodium intake! People don't seem to realize that you can be thin and "in-shape" but potentially hurting themselves (especially their heart) due to eating way too much salt.
Last edited by Dizik on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.