Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum Ratings...

Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:48 pm

How much of a difference do these ratings make? Is it worth the cost (Currently newegg has a couple Bronze PSU's at $65-$75, while the gold rated ones are $135), or is there a minimum good level, and the rest is marketing hype?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum Ratings...

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Whether it is worth it or not depends on how much you care about PSU efficiency.

80 Plus means the PSU is at least 80% efficient. Bronze, silver, gold, and platinum certifications mean the PSU exceeds the basic 80 Plus requirement, corresponding to efficiency levels of 82%, 85%, 87%, and 89% respectively.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Depends on your electricity costs. If your electricity is cheap and you don't run your PC with 100% load (running "Folding@Home" or some similar pointless garbage :wink: ) 24/7 - I wouldn't bother with all these "gold", "platinum" and such ratings.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Even if you've got expensive electricity and/or run 24x7 it will take a *very* long time to make back that $70 price difference in power savings alone. As in, many years... probably longer than the PSU (or the system it is installed in) will last. It's almost certainly *not* worth it based solely on economic considerations.

Whether it's worth it TO YOU depends on other factors, like:

- Is it too warm in the room where the PC is located, making a cooler-running PC something you really want?

- If you live somewhere where electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels, do you care about reducing your CO2 footprint?

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks for the info..

Newegg's got a %15 off on Corsair, and the OCZ is also discounted for their V-Day special.. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of them, but they were an Bronze certified, so I wasn't sure...

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:55 pm

One can't forget the value of bragging rights. Not too many people have gold certified and even fewer have platinum, so you'd be in a pretty rare club.

Buddy over there just dropped a couple grand on consumer grade SSD's? You save baby seals and whales. Advantage: you.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Grab the Corsair - they're rebadged Seasonics and are all fairly solid - OCZ i've heard bad things about their PSUs, which is weird considering they own PC Power and Cooling.
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:05 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
OCZ i've heard bad things about their PSUs, which is weird considering they own PC Power and Cooling.

IIRC they were already in the PSU business (as a rebrander) before they acquired PCP&C. So separate product lines, designed by different people and manufactured in different factories.

oddjobman
Gerbil In Training

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:39 pm

ezcool's 700w is supposed to be bronze rated but its certainly not by amd ha ha.
but with the real makes like antec corsair coolermaster etc the ratings usually though not always do one extra thing. usually the higher the rating the quieter the psu. ots not always tje case so read reviews too but it is a good rule of thumb.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:47 pm

The quiet thing is a reasonably good point - anything rated 80+ is usually quieter than anything not, at least. I tend to stick to corsair, though, and even their Builder series which isn't 80+ is still relatively quiet unless you really get it under load.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:52 pm

The efficiency ratings have become a little too heavily marketing oriented. You can have an efficient supply that delivers sub-standard power - low voltage output, ripple, etc.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.