Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

DrkSide
Gerbil
Topic Author

Program for Scheduling

Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:14 pm

The company I work for is currently trying to take the scheduling from a piece of paper like it has been for years and move it to a digital scheduling system.

We are an autobody shop and we need to schedule cars in and track how many units (relates to labor hours) that are scheduled. These do not need to even be distributed over different days but need to be tracked so we can tell if we are under or over our goals.

The simplest way is obviously an excel sheet but I run into the problem of multiple people being in the file and overwriting changes that others have made.

I am looking for the easiest and most cost effective way to do this. It doesn't matter if it is a pre made program that we can tailor to our needs or something simple that I can learn to program. The key is that the boss doesn't want to go out of the office for labor if we don't have too. Since I already manage all of the computers and website I was the chosen one for the job.

Any help would be appreciated.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Program for Scheduling

Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:17 pm

DrkSide wrote:
The company I work for is currently trying to take the scheduling from a piece of paper like it has been for years and move it to a digital scheduling system.

Your boss won't like to hear this but if the paper-based system works and, most importantly, it's not creating otherwise-billable down time, the first cent spent on changing the system will be lost.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:28 pm

You may be able to use Google Docs (the spreadsheet program, I forget it's name), and set it up for online collaboration. This should let everyone modify it without overwriting other user's input.

DrkSide
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:59 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Your boss won't like to hear this but if the paper-based system works and, most importantly, it's not creating otherwise-billable down time, the first cent spent on changing the system will be lost.

Currently it is not creating down time except for multiple people trying to schedule at once and crowding around the front desk. What he wants is for anyone to be able to schedule from any computer. This is preliminary to be able to have at least one on the road estimator and a satellite office for estimates and scheduling.

So currently the money will be lost it will be gained once we open the second location and hire an on-site estimator.

DrkSide
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:54 am

Anyone at least have any tips on where to start with this? I can learn what I need to however I need at least a good direction to go in before I start.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:18 am

DrkSide wrote:
Anyone at least have any tips on where to start with this? I can learn what I need to however I need at least a good direction to go in before I start.

Something of this sort sounds like ERP to me or custom development.

kitsura
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:26 am

What is your budget like? I know a guy who used to work in a company selling scheduling software.