Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

geekgirrl
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Accessing hard drive through ide cable?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:25 pm

Would I be able to format 1gig of the drive and the access the drive or maybe install windows on that 1gig and then access?

And is Parted Magic linux? Once I boot up with parted magic from the flash drive how do I try and access the drive?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Unless you're installing a very old version of Windows, you're probably going to want more than 1GB for the Windows partition.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

geekgirrl
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:46 pm

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Take THAT best buy! Booted to parted magic on my flash drive, it was very easy to use and figure out, accessed the drive with NO PROBLEM when so many I called locally said the drive was dead and the data was probably lost. What a Bunch of BS! I guess I need to charge people $150 for data recovery since bb charges $250 just to start on it.
I pulled the data off the drive and checked it and it was all perfect.
Thanks to EVERYONE who commented on this thread! You guys Rock! Thanks!
If linux is anything like Parted Magic I need to load it on my laptop as a dual boot because it was awesome. :)
Last edited by geekgirrl on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:16 am

geekgirrl wrote:
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Take THAT best buy! Booted to parted magic on my flash drive, it was very easy to use and figure out, accessed the drive with NO PROBLEM when so many I called locally said the drive was dead and the data was probably lost. What a Bunch of BS! I guess I need to charge people $150 for data recovery since bb charges $250 just to start on it.
If linux is anything like Parted Magic I need to load it on my laptop as a dual boot because it was awesome. :)

Glad it worked out for you!

Parted Magic is a pretty bare-bones Linux distro with a bunch of useful utilities. If you want to give a full Linux distribution a try, most people recommend Ubuntu. I don't particularly like the newer versions but for a Linux n00b it's quite easy to get a handle on.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

geekgirrl
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks for the advice Waco Kid. I hope to learn enough about linux to operate DD-WRT router firmware better. I use it but can get it to work with my external hard drive. I could go back to the manufactures firmware but it's Asus and they have the worlds worst tech support so I will try a newer version of DD-WRT and using linux with it first. This looks like a job for Super GeekGirrl, quick, off to the DD-WRT forum! :)

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:03 pm

geekgirrl wrote:

So the partition table was just corrupted.

Linux can be whatever you want it to be. :)

Ubuntu is the normal first desktop suggestion.

Fedora is a nice, but it's a little more technical. It's also going through a cycle of experimentation, so things might be weird for a little bit. The KDE and Xfce spins are ones to look at until Gnome 3 gets sorted out (or they scrap it and write a saner version in 4 :) )

OpenSuse is good, and they put a lot of work into the desktop. OpenSuse is probably my recommendation for a canned desktop until Ubuntu and Fedora get everything worked out. Yast is a stick in the eye though.

Then there is Arch. It's a bare-bones distro that's good for learning how Linux works. It's going to dump you to a command line, but it has an active community and good documentation. :)

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 pm

geekgirrl wrote:
Everything works great with my two smaller WD drives at 40 & 80gig.

Man.. How rare is this nowadays... 40/80g hdd's? seriously? I haven't seen those in 5-10 years now! They are as extinct as dodo birds these days! You can buy a usb stick with that much storage for under $50 too! lol just laughing at this is all.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Fedora is a nice, but it's a little more technical. It's also going through a cycle of experimentation, so things might be weird for a little bit.

Isn't that Fedora's default state? :lol:

I started out with Redhat/Fedora over 10 years ago, and jumped ship for Ubuntu a few years back when I started getting serious about using Linux as my default desktop OS. I currently run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS + GNOME 2 as my desktop OS (both home and work). Depending on how 12.04 LTS looks I may stick with Ubuntu or jump ship again for Debian; the Unity and GNOME 3 desktops annoy me, so I'm probably switching to KDE or XFCE for the desktop environment regardless of what base distro I end up with.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 pm

thegleek wrote:
geekgirrl wrote:
Everything works great with my two smaller WD drives at 40 & 80gig.

Man.. How rare is this nowadays... 40/80g hdd's? seriously? I haven't seen those in 5-10 years now! They are as extinct as dodo birds these days! You can buy a usb stick with that much storage for under $50 too! lol just laughing at this is all.

I just pulled an 80GB drive from a workstation here at the office the other day; the motherboard died, and the user needed some files off his hard drive. A few of the older workstations here still have 74GB Raptors in them.

My home file server had a pile of ancient 80GB WD PATA drives in it, but those finally got retired (along with the Slot A Athlon motherboard that was running the server) a couple of years ago.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 pm

yeah not saying they are impossible to find. but i save all my former equipment (pack rat syndrome), i still have:

common: 3.5" barracuda 7200.7 ST3120026AA 120gb ide hdd

uncommon: 3.5" maxtor 54098H8 40gb ide hdd

rare: 3.5" maxtor 90648D3 6.4gb ide hdd

VERY rare: 3.5" maxtor 7120AI 129mb ide hdd (YES 129 friggin megabytes only! LOL)

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:41 pm

thegleek wrote:
VERY rare: 3.5" maxtor 7120AI 129mb ide hdd (YES 129 friggin megabytes only! LOL)

I may still have some WD Caviar drives of roughly that capacity somewhere. IIRC I got rid of my old 5-1/4" hard drives the last time we moved.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:03 pm

I still have a Tualatin P3-1.13GHz machine running either a Desktar 20GB or some sort of 80GB, I forget which. Should still have a working Win2k installation although it hasn't been booted in three or four years. And I definitely have an 80GB running Win2k in an old Northwood Pentium4 that serves as a workbench computer (mostly to pull up PDF datasheets and schematic diagrams).

Those 80GB drives were great workhorses and there's probably still a lot of them out there if you know where to look.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:47 am

just brew it! wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:
Fedora is a nice, but it's a little more technical. It's also going through a cycle of experimentation, so things might be weird for a little bit.

Isn't that Fedora's default state? :lol:

I started out with Redhat/Fedora over 10 years ago, and jumped ship for Ubuntu a few years back when I started getting serious about using Linux as my default desktop OS. I currently run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS + GNOME 2 as my desktop OS (both home and work). Depending on how 12.04 LTS looks I may stick with Ubuntu or jump ship again for Debian; the Unity and GNOME 3 desktops annoy me, so I'm probably switching to KDE or XFCE for the desktop environment regardless of what base distro I end up with.

Hehe. It goes in cycles. :) Right now is just particularly bad.

I just switch my laptop, an ancient R51 Thinkpad, over to Debian wheezy for performance and curiosity reasons. I still don't like Debian or apt, but it's fun to learn new things.

Xfce is my desktop of choice; it's simple and just works. KDE is getting nice again, and it has lots of cool technology as it always has.

@thegleek
I have, like, 12 80GB hard drives from a server that I have no idea what I'm going to do with.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
@thegleek
I have, like, 12 80GB hard drives from a server that I have no idea what I'm going to do with.

I know! It's crazy! It used to be beneficial to save (rat pack) older hardware.. But as time progresses... I'm starting to think the same.. What do I do with all this... junk?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:42 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:
I just switch my laptop, an ancient R51 Thinkpad, over to Debian wheezy for performance and curiosity reasons. I still don't like Debian or apt, but it's fun to learn new things.

Funny you should say that; package management was one of the reasons I switched to Ubuntu! Yum/pirut was quite a train wreck back in the day; I vastly prefer apt. I guess Fedora swapped pirut out for PackageKit a few versions back?

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Xfce is my desktop of choice; it's simple and just works. KDE is getting nice again, and it has lots of cool technology as it always has.

The main drawback of KDE these days is that it's a horrendous resource (RAM) pig. But RAM is cheap, so that's less of an issue than it would've been a couple of years ago. I would hesitate to install it on a 32-bit system though; you'll probably chew up close to a third of your available RAM just running the desktop.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Funny you should say that; package management was one of the reasons I switched to Ubuntu! Yum/pirut was quite a train wreck back in the day; I vastly prefer apt. I guess Fedora swapped pirut out for PackageKit a few versions back?

Pirut was pretty bad, and PackageKit has gotten better. I still prefer Yumex (Yum Extender) or CLI yum.

Apt is just confusing. If they had a separate program for every function it wouldn't be that bad, I could understand that logic, but they have several programs that do multiple things.

Pacman form Arch Linux has to be my favorite Linux package management program overall. It's one program, and it doesn't use long options.

The main drawback of KDE these days is that it's a horrendous resource (RAM) pig. But RAM is cheap, so that's less of an issue than it would've been a couple of years ago. I would hesitate to install it on a 32-bit system though; you'll probably chew up close to a third of your available RAM just running the desktop.

I've never noticed the RAM thing, but I have noticed how video card dependent it is. It really likes more modern video cards versus older cards. Of course my frame of comparison is a seven year old ATI mobile video card and a Nvidia GeForce 8600GT.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Pirut was pretty bad, and PackageKit has gotten better. I still prefer Yumex (Yum Extender) or CLI yum.

Even CLI yum was pretty bad back when I was still running Fedora. IIRC it seemed to have behavior that was exponentially related to the number of packages being updated. If you had a lot of packages to install (e.g. first update on a freshly installed system) you had to do them in small batches if you didn't want to be waiting all day.

My (low) opinion of pirut was sealed one day when a co-worker was using it to remove a number of packages from a system. Via some bizarre dependency checking glitch that I still couldn't fathom after diagnosing what had actually happened, pirut/yum decided that removal of one of the packages implicitly required removal of the running kernel. It prompted the user regarding whether this was what was really desired, but the dialog had a timeout, with a default choice of "yes". The co-worker returned from a trip to the can to discover that pirut had rendered his system unbootable.

Flatland_Spider wrote:
I've never noticed the RAM thing, but I have noticed how video card dependent it is. It really likes more modern video cards versus older cards. Of course my frame of comparison is a seven year old ATI mobile video card and a Nvidia GeForce 8600GT.

Yeah, it's incompatible with VirtualBox's OpenGL acceleration as well, so if you run it in a VM you can't enable desktop effects. (Not that I care much about desktop effects, but it's another indication that KDE is picky about video cards.)