Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

System reserved

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:53 am

When I reinstalled W7, I let the installer delete the existing 100GB partition and recreate a new primary partition, then a 100MB primary partition called "System reserved", and a 99.9GB primary partition were created. I installed W7 on the 99.9GB partition and everything looked OK. I used in the past W7's built-in utility or third party disk utilities, no such extra partition was automatically created and have not seen any problem. I wonder in what circumstance(s) that extra 100MB partition is required.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: System reserved

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Bitlocker and bootable GPT disks.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Bitlocker and bootable GPT disks.

How the above relates to my question?

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:21 pm

That's what the 100MB is used for. Also, it's used for the recovery manager if I remember right.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Here's some more info (and how to remove it, if you insist on dong so -- which would be a mistake, IMO).

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:20 pm

CampinCarl wrote:
That's what the 100MB is used for. Also, it's used for the recovery manager if I remember right.

I have been using BitLocker quite a while without such extra partition. I will not be using GPT any time soon.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:24 pm

It's more trouble than 100MB is worth to get rid of it. Best leave it alone.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:39 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Here's some more info (and how to remove it, if you insist on dong so -- which would be a mistake, IMO).

Thanks for the info. I am going to get rid of it because it takes one of the four primary partitions being maximum allowed.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:56 pm

churin wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:

Thanks for the info. I am going to get rid of it because it takes one of the four primary partitions being maximum allowed.

We had a new HP laptop come in at the office recently. ALL FOUR primary partitions were already in use - System reserved, Win7, HP system recovery, and HP diagnostic tools. WTF? No primary partition left to install Linux on (we wanted to dual-boot it). We ended up nuking the HP diagnostics partition.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
churin wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:
We had a new HP laptop come in at the office recently. ALL FOUR primary partitions were already in use - System reserved, Win7, HP system recovery, and HP diagnostic tools. WTF? No primary partition left to install Linux on (we wanted to dual-boot it). We ended up nuking the HP diagnostics partition.
You probably could do away with the HP system recovery partition as well, since the native Win7 stuff is likely to work better (though there may be a contractual support reason to hang onto it if you need to do a complete reinstall and don't have a volume license for Windows).

HP's software arm has been completely off the rails for some time now. Between redundant crap like this and 1GB printer "drivers" the less HP software on your system the better it is likely to run.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:01 am

churin wrote:
CampinCarl wrote:

I have been using BitLocker quite a while without such extra partition. I will not be using GPT any time soon.

Bitlocker only requires it for the bootdisk.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766295(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_S1

It's a chicken and egg aspect. The OS loader is a very simple bootstrap process and doesn't know how to decrypt the files.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:39 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
churin wrote:
CampinCarl wrote:

Bitlocker only requires it for the bootdisk.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766295(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_S1

It's a chicken and egg aspect. The OS loader is a very simple bootstrap process and doesn't know how to decrypt the files.

Thanks for the info. I have been using Bitlocker to encrypt USB memories only and never thought of encrypting os boot drive.