Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Recent discoveries

Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:46 pm

I just recently discovered Thomas' Hearty Muffins. Get them nice and warm in the toaster, and they're super tasty.

They were on sale at the grocery store, and a couple days earlier, one of my professors had mentioned how good they were. I bought some and found out they are delicious.

What are something everyone else has recently discovered?

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Recent discoveries

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Kolaches. My in-laws just came back up from south Texas and apparently they're popular there.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:36 pm

America's Test Kitchen. Greatest cooking show ever. They go through how to cook things best so real people can make it at home.

Awesome recipes and fascinating.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:00 pm

If we're restricting this discussion to food, I'm always on the lookout for things I can make quickly for lunch at work that are at least a token nod to healthier eating. Recently I've been taking wheat gluten and microwaving it with random veggies. Top with a little soy sauce and Sriracha hot chili sauce. Pretty tasty... especially for vegetarian fare. (And yeah, I know soy sauce is loaded with sodium. I did say TOKEN nod to healthier eating... :lol:)

If we're going with recent discoveries in general, I was pleasantly surprised to discover something I didn't know about the motherboard in the system I've been using at work for the past 2+ years, namely that the on-board GPU supports dual DVI monitors (second one via a DisplayPort to DVI adapter). I was also pleased to discover that it is possible to configure the audio stack in Linux to split the front (stereo) signal and route it to both the front and rear speaker out jacks, with different EQ settings for each. This way I can just leave both the headphones and speakers plugged in all the time, and don't need to futz with EQ presets to get things to sound decent.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:44 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Kolaches. My in-laws just came back up from south Texas and apparently they're popular there.

Those look interesting. Are your in-laws from the San Antonio/New Braunsfels/Austin area? That area is supposed to have a history of Eastern European immigration.

TheEmrys wrote:
America's Test Kitchen. Greatest cooking show ever. They go through how to cook things best so real people can make it at home.

I've seen the books and magazines with that title, and they always look interesting. I'll have to check that out.

just brew it! wrote:
If we're restricting this discussion to food, I'm always on the lookout for things I can make quickly for lunch at work that are at least a token nod to healthier eating. Recently I've been taking wheat gluten and microwaving it with random veggies. Top with a little soy sauce and Sriracha hot chili sauce. Pretty tasty... especially for vegetarian fare. (And yeah, I know soy sauce is loaded with sodium. I did say TOKEN nod to healthier eating... :lol:)

I didn't mean for it to be just about food; I was trying to be general in the topic. The muffins are the latest thing I've been super jazzed about.

Interesting. My wife has been looking for some easy lunches to take with her. We'll have to get some and test it out.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

Those look interesting. Are your in-laws from the San Antonio/New Braunsfels/Austin area? That area is supposed to have a history of Eastern European immigration.

They passed through that way on their trip down to south Texas. One's from somewhere in TX (don't remember), the other's from northwest AR.

The kolaches we got are similar to Danishes, but with a softer crust and no frosting.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
If we're restricting this discussion to food, I'm always on the lookout for things I can make quickly for lunch at work that are at least a token nod to healthier eating.

Recently I've been taking wheat gluten and microwaving it with random veggies.

Top with a little soy sauce and Sriracha hot chili sauce. Pretty tasty... especially for vegetarian fare. (And yeah, I know soy sauce is loaded with sodium. I did say TOKEN nod to healthier eating... :lol:)

I'll entertain your "wheat gluten" as healthier eating with an except from a book I'm currently reading:

Robb Wolf, Paleo Solution, Ch 6 wrote:
It will come as a surprise for most people that the underlying cause of all the issues described above, in these very different people, was the same thing—a common component in nearly everyone’s diet. Something medicine is only now discovering to be dangerous and unhealthy, despite its prominent role in our food supply. Gluten.

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye oats, and barley. Other grains such as corn and rice have similar, but less problematic proteins (we will talk about that later). Just let that soak in for a minute. The usual response is BS! Grains are healthy! The government says so! I love bread and cookies!

OK Buttercup, calm down, I get it. Bread, pasta, and cookies are yummy. They are also likely killing you. The other sections of this book I’m willing to give you a “pass” on understanding the technical points. Most people kinda get the insulin/high-carb issue. People are slowly realizing there are “good fats.” So, I’ll not hold you responsible for that material. However, I insist you read this grain issue, ponder it, and then do what I recommend. Why? Because left to your own devices you will argue and bellyache. Then you will generate an impressive but ultimately inaccurate list of counterarguments and excuses based on emotions, fear, and governmental inaccuracies. Then we have the teensy issue that you are likely more addicted to junk foods than a crackhead to his rock.

Let me be completely clear on this: Your understanding of this situation is clouded by failed governmental policy, the industrial food complex, and your addiction to these foods. You may think this is caca-de-torro (BS), but I’m going to prove you wrong and hopefully save your life in the process. I am not trying to be a jerk, but if you have any of the plethora of health issues for which gluten is a causative factor, the clock is ticking.

and...

Robb Wolf, Paleo Solution, Ch 6 wrote:
Whole grains are held up as some kind of miracle food, but did you guys read the Hunter Gatherers Are Us chapter? Have you been reading this grain chapter? Grains are NOT healthy! Be they whole or half a grain. You will see in a later chapter that grains are, calorie per calorie, remarkably weak as compared to lean meats, seafood, veggies, and fruit. You can look that stuff up yourself on the USDA nutrient database website. It’s an eye-opener, especially for vegetarians. Now this is just considering the value of grains with regards to vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients like protein, carbs, and fat. When we factor in their anti-nutrient properties, and potential to wreck havoc on our GI tract, grains are not a sound decision for health or longevity.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:13 am

Barley's got gluten too. So if you're going to join the anti-gluten crusade you'd better be willing to give up beer!

I've been eating a lot more tofu lately as well. (And yes, I know there are also people who believe soy is unhealthy...)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:23 am

just brew it! wrote:
I've been eating a lot more tofu lately as well. (And yes, I know there are also people who believe soy is unhealthy...)

Toe jam!?!? Not in a million years.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:04 am

just brew it! wrote:

Linoleic acid (LA) is an 18-carbon n-6 PUFA found in high concentration in vegetable oils such as safflower and sunflower. Both LA and its longer metabolites are potent mediators of systemic inflammation (i.e., they are pro-inflammatory). As we will see, this makes some otherwise “Paleo” foods such as certain nuts problematic because LA can block the anti-inflammatory effects of EPA and DHA. This is also why corn, sunflower, and soy oils are so bad for us, as they are loaded with LA. Let’s take a look at the metabolites of LA.

just brew it! wrote:
Barley's got gluten too. So if you're going to join the anti-gluten crusade you'd better be willing to give up beer!

What about beer and wine?

Beer is generally loaded with gluten. If you can find a gluten-free variety, give it a shot, but keep in mind it does have significant sugar content. As to wine, I detest the stuff and think it had its best day when it was still grape juice. If you go for wine, opt for dry varieties, as they have less sugar. If you think you are drinking wine “for your health,” this is as shaky an excuse as explaining away an adulterous liaison as “networking.” In both situations, you are fooling no one but yourself.

Yup. I know. And that's the hardest thing to not partake in... But hence, I'm giving this Paleo thing a try for 30 days to see if its beneficial or not...

Remember, I’m recommending that you give this a full try for thirty days. If vibrant health and a lean strong body are not what you want, you can always go back to what you were doing, But what I’m trying to do is ensure that you succeed. You do not get to blame your failure on your family.

You may want to dismiss this stuff, but think about it like this: Most people feel like they can stay in a monogamous, lifelong relationship. Sure, giving up the dating life might cut a little excitement from your Saturday nights, but there are other benefits to a long-term relationship. Well, what if we dropped you off at the Playboy mansion (I don’t care what gender or sexual orientation you are), and let’s say we got you falling down drunk and dosed you to the gills on Ecstasy. Would you remain monogamous? Highly unlikely, and this is my point: refined carbs are like an ecstasy-soaked beer binge at the playboy mansion. This is a battle you will not win, so stack the cards in your favor. Bag up all your crap food, take it to your local shelter and, I guess inadvertently, contribute to the death of the homeless. Well, better them than you.

Jaker
Gerbil In Training

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:12 am

Found this on how to transfer files from my pc to my android phone wirelessly, using a program SwiFTP. Tried it out today. Worked both ways, to and from the pc. Worked on Win7. Hey, it's new to me.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/41583/how-to-transfer-files-between-your-pc-and-android-phone-wirelessly/

yokem55
Gerbil

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:54 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:

Roasted Brussel Sprouts. Put them in a ziplock bag, add a little olive oil, a little salt, a little garlic & onion powder, get them all evenly coated, put them on a pan and roast them at 400 for half an hour. I always hated the things when I was a kid, my mom always overcooked them to mush. But the roasted ones - a little crunch on the outside, nice & tender on the inside. Mmm, mmm, mmm.

And what freaked me out the most was that my kids ate them - no questions asked

Norphy
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:03 am

Those things on the plate in the front of the picture look more like crumpets than muffins...

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:00 am

yokem55 wrote:

Roasted Brussel Sprouts. Put them in a ziplock bag, add a little olive oil, a little salt, a little garlic & onion powder, get them all evenly coated, put them on a pan and roast them at 400 for half an hour. I always hated the things when I was a kid, my mom always overcooked them to mush. But the roasted ones - a little crunch on the outside, nice & tender on the inside. Mmm, mmm, mmm.

And what freaked me out the most was that my kids ate them - no questions asked[/quote]
My wife made those just the other night. I've always been OK with Brussels sprouts, but roasted they are GREAT!

Norphy wrote:
Those things on the plate in the front of the picture look more like crumpets than muffins...

That's because they are what we call English muffins here in the US!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:01 am

just brew it! wrote:
That's because they are English muffins.

And you're up early, insomniac.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:07 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
That's because they are English muffins.

And you're up early, insomniac.

And you responded so quickly you missed my quick edit!

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:30 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:

IMHO, anything, but the US food :roll:

I don't know how you people can survive on those greasy, sweetened things you consume every day...
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:09 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Toe jam!?!? Not in a million years.

Try extra-firm tofu in fried rice. It's actually really good.
Hakkaa päälle!

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:22 am

It irks me how much of a markup "normal" grocery stores charge for tofu. It can be 2x to 3x more expensive at the chain stores, compared to grocery stores which cater to Asian customers. Stupid Caucasians, willing to pay $3.50/lb for the stuff... get a clue and the chains will need to lower the price to proper levels! :lol:

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:25 am

Madman wrote:
IMHO, anything, but the US food :roll:

I don't know how you people can survive on those greasy, sweetened things you consume every day...

^ this. I don't either. Someone is out to kill us all.