Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

iPad Dying - 1600 Error, no warranty left

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:19 am

So the topic says most of it. After 2 years of glorious service, and many many many happy hours, my iPad is on it's last legs. I'm desperate for ideas!

On Saturday, Safari started crashing when opened.
On Monday, I tried to Restore to reload everything. 160X errors throughout (more info follows).
Today I tried to contact Apple Support, just to see if there was anything I was overlooking. Since my warranty has expired, they won't even talk to me. No email option, phone option wants to CHARGE ME MONEY to verify my device is dead.
Further, today, my iPad now crashes when running App Store. The Home button no longer works while in an app (I know the physical button is fine, since a single press at the home screen brings up search, but double tap or single tap does nothing otherwise...)

Basically, I've tried normal updates and restores, I've tried going into DFU mode first, I've tried all manner of hacks and tricks and nonsense. I can't get this thing to wipe and reload. I've tried three different machines, two PCs and a Mac. I always get 1600, 1601, or 1604, depending on what I've tried to do. Apple's support docs seem to indicate this is a USB-based problem, and given the number of cables, machines, and configs I've tried, I'm left to assume that the USB controller on the iPad itself is failing.

I was hoping to get an iPad 3 soon, if it has the rumored retina screen, but I'd really like having an iPad in the meantime as well. Anyone know anyone at Apple? Any tricks, tips, suggestions, hints? Apple's out-of-warranty support option will let me send it in to get fixed, but it's a flat ~420$, and they can decline to fix it, too. I'm heartbroken.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: iPad Dying - 1600 Error, no warranty left

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:36 am

Do you have an Apple store near you? If so just walk in hand it to them and ask. They will tell you that its out of warranty, but many times I have taken stuff to them out of warranty and they still gave me some support......or even ideas on what to look at. Its worth a shot.

Also cross post this at forums.appleinsider.com/ they have been a helpful bunch to me from time to time.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Fragnificent
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:46 am

Everyone and their mother has been having iPad, iPhone, and MacBook issues around my neck of the woods recently. Apple sure doesn't make stuff like they used to it seems. My 1990 era Mac IIsi with OS 7.6 on it still runs fine. lol.
*** Shuttle X48 / 4 GB Corsair PC6400 / C2D E8400 @ 3.6 Ghz / Radeon 5850 / Caviar 750GB / Windows 7 Pro 64-bit ***

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:02 am

Have you tried a little good ol' fashioned "percussive maintenance"? At this point you've got nothing to lose; you'd be surprised how often it actually works.

A couple of months ago one of my monitors here at work was getting increasingly flaky -- cutting in and out, colors going wonky, etc. I verified that the DVI cable was screwed in tight, and tried a different cable, but the problem kept getting worse. I was pretty certain it was the monitor (not the video card), since power cycling the monitor would usually cause it to start working again whenever it flaked out.

Finally, one day I just raised the telescoping monitor stand as high as it would go, then quickly slammed it down to the bottom end of its travel, giving the monitor a hefty jolt. It's been fine ever since.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:18 am

Appleinsider: Good thinking, tanker. I'll get on that. It can't hurt.

Apple Store: I have one not too far from me (but much further than it used to be). I might pursue that at some point, but I did have the Infamous iPad Fire event showdown there, so I'm not real confident.

Apple QC: Yeah, Fragnificent, I have that feel as well. I've had lots of quality issues with my iPads, but this one looks to be dying from simple wear.

Percussive maintenance: I'm all about percussion and electronics, but I can't see how that would help. The iPad itself is a sealed box with no moving parts. The physical connector looks highly worn, but fully functional, and the iPad will communicate for sync, just not for restore.

Thanks for the feedback, all, but I think I'm without options still. :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:21 am

Forge wrote:
Percussive maintenance: I'm all about percussion and electronics, but I can't see how that would help. The iPad itself is a sealed box with no moving parts.

It worked for my LCD monitor, and those don't have moving parts either... :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Just wait for iPad3... If you want to try and see if you can do anything to your current broken iPad - there's a disassemble guide on iFixit, just follow it, check whether all of the internal connectors are fine (not loose), maybe visually check other stuff like soldering points for all connectors/chipsets, etc., that should at least keep you busy until the iPad3's release :wink:
Also, have you possibly tried using jailbreaking tools? Google for "jailbreak error 1600" and see what you can do (something like this: http://www.letskis.com/how-bypass-itune ... c-windows/), depending on the iOS version you have...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:07 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Have you tried a little good ol' fashioned "percussive maintenance"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEkOT3IngMQ ? :o
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:51 pm

JohnC wrote:
Also, have you possibly tried using jailbreaking tools? Google for "jailbreak error 1600" and see what you can do (something like this: http://www.letskis.com/how-bypass-itune ... c-windows/), depending on the iOS version you have...

Heh. I suppose I should mention that I have SHSHs on file back to 3.2.1?

My iPad will not restore in normal, standard restore, DFU, nor pwned DFU modes.

Working otherwise. I managed to jimmy-rig it to "mostly" work. I'll try to limp along till March, and then pray I get some money!