Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Re: Newegg won't sell me Rosewill keyboards?

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:44 pm

thegleek wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Have you ever used a chiclet-style keyboard that you liked? I haven't...

Never. Until my very first purchase of my MBP years ago. Then I discovered Logitech made a similar kb for the pc (K750/K800), I'll never go back I tell ya!

Is that really a chiclet-style design? It looks closer to scissor-switch, at least in terms of the shape of the keys.

thegleek wrote:
omfg! ROFL! when we hanging out next? i gotta make a trip up to New Glarus one weekend...

Me too. It has been years since I've been there.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Once I figure it out, the R&P posts will suddenly disappear here and reappear in R&P.

EDIT: Done. Go here to complain about E-waste laws.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Compton
Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:36 pm

RickyTick wrote:
This must have something to do with where it's shipped FROM and where it's shipped TO. I know NC has been doing some screwy things with sales tax for online ordering.

I've never had a problem ordering Rosewill stuff from Newegg to NC, but I've never ordered any input devices from Rosewill. I'm gonna see if I can ask someone at Rosewill what their damage is.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:34 am

First, I am just going to state what we've discovered without adding any prejudicial opinion to it, so let's try and keep this out of R & P

Second, I am not a lawyer. I don't even look like a lawyer. This is all the result of guesswork.

----

Ok, let's recap what we know about the fact pattern here:

1) In December 2011 JBI (IL resident) could order rosewill keyboards from Newegg

2) In 2012, JBI cannot order Rosewill keyboards from Newegg, as they won't ship to IL. No explanation is given.

3) This appears to be specifically an issue with keyboards, Rosewill and Newegg, as other Keyboards are available on Newegg and people can order/buy Rosewill keyboards within the state of IL.

4) As JBI noticed, Rosewill is special in that it is a Newegg brand. As such, Newegg is effectively the "manufacturer" of Rosewill products. evidence

5) On 1/1/2012, a law took effect in Illinois that makes "electronic keyboards" prohibited e-waste. It specifically applies to the manufacturers of such devices.

Our supposition is that these things are all interrelated.

I called a number for Newegg's legal department yesterday, fail to talk to anyone, and I'm unsure how successful I'll be if I try again. The unfortunate side-effect of people going nuclear over RMA issues is that it's likely difficult to just get a hold of whoever can answer the question.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:16 am

I'm still getting the runaround trying to get a straight explanation from their e-mail customer support people as well. As noted previously, the first person to answer my question told me the item must have been out of stock. The second one said "I have confirmed that most Rosewill keyboards appear to no longer be available for shipment to IL". Progress! But duh, I already knew that; I was looking for some explanation of *why* (and whether it is permanent or temporary). :roll:

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
thegleek wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Have you ever used a chiclet-style keyboard that you liked? I haven't...

Never. Until my very first purchase of my MBP years ago. Then I discovered Logitech made a similar kb for the pc (K750/K800), I'll never go back I tell ya!

Is that really a chiclet-style design? It looks closer to scissor-switch, at least in terms of the shape of the keys.
[/quote]Isn't scissor-switch more about the spring mechanism underneath and not about the shape of the keys? I think chiclet vs scissor-switch is comparing the wrong thing.

just brew it! wrote:
I'm still getting the runaround trying to get a straight explanation from their e-mail customer support people as well. As noted previously, the first person to answer my question told me the item must have been out of stock. The second one said "I have confirmed that most Rosewill keyboards appear to no longer be available for shipment to IL". Progress! But duh, I already knew that; I was looking for some explanation of *why* (and whether it is permanent or temporary). :roll:
Have you tried "realtime" chat instead of email? May be that will force them to find someone that knows?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:51 pm

FYI for anyone who cares at this point -- Most Rosewill keyboards (including *all* of the mechanical ones) have now disappeared from Amazon.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:54 pm

I care. Not that I'm going to get a Rosewill keyboard, only that my options are artificially limited since I live in Illinois.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:15 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I care. Not that I'm going to get a Rosewill keyboard, only that my options are artificially limited since I live in Illinois.

Yeah, thank you very much Springfield. :roll:

Sure, there are other options. But Rosewill was a known quantity, and decent quality given the price -- both for the inexpensive keyboards we use on most of the desktops at the office, and the Cherry blue mechanicals I prefer for my own use.

For personal use I'm good for now unless one of my existing keyboards dies. For the office I could have keyboards shipped to corporate headquarters, which is out-of-state; but that would mean dealing with our corporate purchasing department (which is about as much fun as a sinus infection), and paying to have the damn things shipped twice (so probably not worth it for cheap keyboards).

Guess if I ever decide I need another RK-9000 I'll just have it shipped to someone else...

r00t61
Gerbil

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, thank you very much Springfield. :roll:

Well, we IL residents all know that Springfield is merely Chicago's puppet. What Chicago wants, Chicago gets, usually by getting the dead to vote early and vote often. I wouldn't be surprised if this e-waste thing wasn't originated out of some "green" alderman's ward in the Second City.

This Rosewill business is semi-annoying, but so long as I can still get Unicomp Model Ms, I won't complain too much.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
Guess if I ever decide I need another RK-9000 I'll just have it shipped to someone else...

TR BBQ Rosewill keyboards pickup for Illinoisians? ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:55 am

r00t61 wrote:
This Rosewill business is semi-annoying, but so long as I can still get Unicomp Model Ms, I won't complain too much.

I was fairly happy with the first Unicomp I got, but the keys on the second one (a Unicomp SpaceSaver) were a little too stiff. Cherry switches seem to be a bit more consistent than Unicomp's buckling spring mechanisms...

mako
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:09 am

They need to start a recycling program in Chicago before they can justify pulling stuff like this.
E3-1230v2 | GA-6UASL3 | 16 GB ECC | Seagate 600 240GB | HGST 4TB | GTX 660 | Silverstone TJ08-E | Seasonic X650 | Win Server 2012 | Dell U2713HM || Zotac CI320

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:44 am

Please post any overtly political followups in the piece of the thread that got split out to the R&P forum a few days ago...

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:16 am

I guess I can always fill in the gap and pimp Filcos off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... +2&x=0&y=0

But it looks like they've gone way up in price. Still numero uno, though.

There's also Leopolds at elitekeyboards.com for $100:

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php? ... r=fullsize

The MX Reds seem pretty intriguing, so I'd get a Leopold one if I were in the market. You do have to deal with different feeling stabilizer keys, but at the price, it's still a steal. You might also be able to email them to see if they know what's going on with Rosewill not shipping to IL, NC, and NY.

There's also WASD Keyboards for that custom job:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

Go laser etched with any keycap color of your choice.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:35 am

Oooh ooh I want to know the ending!!!! :(
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:35 am

drsauced wrote:
I guess I can always fill in the gap and pimp Filcos off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... +2&x=0&y=0

But it looks like they've gone way up in price. Still numero uno, though.

I noticed that the prices of the Das seem to have gone up a bit at some e-tailers as well.

When the Rosewill mechanicals first came out there were some reports that they contained Filco electronics; so it is quite possible that they were (or even still are) rebranded Filcos.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:40 am

Flying Fox wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

TR BBQ Rosewill keyboards pickup for Illinoisians? ;)

winning.

ChicagoChump
Gerbil In Training

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Amendments to the Illinois Electronic Products Recycling and Reuse Act

Illinois Governor Quinn recently signed legislation that makes extensive changes to the Illinois Products Recycling and Reuse Act that will take effect for calendar year 2012. This legislation expands the number of covered electronic products in Illinois from four to seventeen. For calendar year 2012 all manufacturers of the new list of covered electronic products must now register with the Illinois EPA and meet an annual recycling goal.

Starting in 2012 all manufacturers of covered electronic devices will be responsible for collecting and refurbishing or recycling a percentage of the weight of products they sold in Illinois two years prior to the program year. All manufacturers must report the total weight of all covered electronic devices sold under each of the manufacturer's brand names. For calendar year 2012 40% of the weight of items that each manufacturer sold at retail in Illinois during calendar year 2010 must be recycled.

NEW LIST OF COVERED ELECTRONIC PRODUCTS

Televisions
Monitors
Printers
Computers ( laptop, notebook, netbook, tablet )
Electronic Keyboards
Facsimile Machines
Videocassette Recorders
Portable Digital Music Players
Digital Video Disc Players
Video Game Consoles
Small Scale Servers
Scanners
Electronic Mice
Digital Converter Boxes
Cable Receivers
Satellite Receivers
Digital Video Disc Recorders

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Well that explains it. Rosewill must not be registered (registering?) with the IL EPA.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 pm

This is not an R&P topic.

Posts decrying the yoke of "the man" will be merged into the R&P topic.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
When the Rosewill mechanicals first came out there were some reports that they contained Filco electronics; so it is quite possible that they were (or even still are) rebranded Filcos.

I believe they are. The Rosewill mechanical keyboards disappeared about the same time the Filcos did because of manufacturing issues in Japan for more evidence.

The Leopold keyboards from EliteKeyboard are supposed to be better anyway.

just brew it! wrote:
I was fairly happy with the first Unicomp I got, but the keys on the second one (a Unicomp SpaceSaver) were a little too stiff. Cherry switches seem to be a bit more consistent than Unicomp's buckling spring mechanisms...

The original Model Ms are the same way. Out of the three I have, one is perfect and two are okay. I also got to hand pick the three that I have.

ChicagoChump
Gerbil In Training

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:42 am

I emailed Rosewill about NewEgg not shipping keyboards to IL. They responded:

Thank you for contacting Rosewill Support Service. We apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused you.

Please be advised that Newegg is our authorized retailer, as well as Amazon and Buy.com, however, we are unable to regulate their shipping policy.

There shouldn’t be any problem to ship RK-100 to Illinois. We have forwarded your inquiry to Newegg Customer Service Department for further assistance. They will check into this and contact you directly shortly.

If Newegg fails to assist you well, please let us know and we will act accordingly.

Two days later, NewEgg sent me an email:

In regards to your most recent inquiry about shipping Rosewill keyboard to IL, we are sorry to inform you that Rosewill no longer ships keyboard/mice to IL, NY and NC. This is due to additional e-waste fees imposed by these states. Unfortunately, we are unable to make exceptions for this. I apologize for any inconvenience.

So, there it is. If NewEgg sells you a Rosewill keyboard in IL, NY or NC, they fall under those states e-waste regulations, because they are the manufacturer. If someone else sells you a Rosewill keyboard, they aren't the manufacturer, so the e-waste regs don't apply to them. The word "loophole" comes to mind. I expect that the states will eventually figure that out, though how they'll close it isn't obvious. Oh well, that's a discussion for some other forum.

Anyway, I guess I won't be buying any Rosewill keyboards any time soon. (Makes me wish I hadn't chucked out all those old Dell and Gateway keyboards I had piled up over the years. Holy carp! Maybe that e-waste thing works? :wink: )

kevin2012
Gerbil In Training

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi, I am not sure if anybody is still interested in this topic, but I chose to add my walkaround to help someone run into this this problem and happened to search this topic here, like me.
The walkaround is simple: you can do it in ebay!
Currently there is only one dealer in amazon sell this model (RK9000BR), and the price is about 140 without shipping (even the official price is 109.99..).
Being motivated by the discussions above about the manufacture and the law, I tried to google some other place where I can buy this model. It seems that Newegg has an official shop in ebay, and the stuff you bought there is warranted by the same policy you can get from buying directly form Newegg. Maybe as has been said, in ebay, the Newegg is kind of a "retailer" rather than the "manufacture", so there is no problem for it to ship the RK9000BR to my home in NC.
The only con is you can not apply any newegg coupon on your purchase, at the time when I made the order, Newegg was doing promotion by "15% off for all keyboard", and I can sign up the 1 month trial for the free-2-day ship. So I could have save about $23 (7.5 ship+ 15 discount) if I can buy it directly in Newegg... Anyway, I think it worth the money and now I am very happy with my RK9000BR.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue May 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Hm, Newegg is becoming a PITA lately. I learned the other day that they no longer accept the credit card type I'd been using with them for nearly a decade, which is just stupid. My business is going to Amazon and Buy.com as a result.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 01, 2012 3:58 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Hm, Newegg is becoming a PITA lately. I learned the other day that they no longer accept the credit card type I'd been using with them for nearly a decade, which is just stupid. My business is going to Amazon and Buy.com as a result.

What credit card type?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue May 01, 2012 4:29 pm

ludi wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:

What credit card type?

I was going to guess AmEx, but I just put something in my cart and AmEx was an option along with MC, VISA, and Discover.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue May 01, 2012 4:39 pm

ludi wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:
What credit card type?

Discover, as it happens. It lets you get fairly far into the purchase before it tells you there's a problem. I thought it was my card at first, but it worked everywhere else I tried it, and then I read the message more closely. But it's been enough time since it happened that my memory has become imprecise. Seems like they just don't deal with them any more, though.

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Tue May 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Newegg is accepting Discover again for nearly 2 months. There was apparently a security breach with Discover.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/783164.aspx

http://help.newegg.com/app/answers/list ... WGs%3D/c/3

"What payment methods does Newegg accept?
We accept the following payment methods: Visa MasterCard American Express Discover Newegg Preferred Account: For more information on signing up for a Newegg Preferred Account, please click..."
Last edited by Yeats on Tue May 01, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue May 01, 2012 4:48 pm

I just didn't buy anything from Newegg while they were rejecting my Discover card. There's always Amazon, BHPhotoVideo, Directron or just keeping my money in my pocket.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2