Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Re: Rumor that had better be false

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Many people doubted the pricing of the 7970 (I'm not saying this situation is anywhere near the same), and it looks like they hit it right on the head; the cards are in stock at retail price, but regularly only a few models are in stock.

My guess is that they're getting while the getting's good (before Kepler), and they'll evaluate how much/if they'll need to drop prices when Kepler arrives. It seems that unless someone is in a pretty big hurry, waiting a few months could change the landscape considerably, even if Kepler is only on par with the 7970 (which I kind of doubt, but that's another can of worms).

Frankly, AMD could use the shot in the arm of higher markups from a financial standpoint.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:38 am

flip-mode, you can discuss it. It's the histrionics of the OP and your initial comments on the review that make us all think you're panicking.

vargis14 wrote:
Wonder how much it will cost at best buy?? :roll:

Well they're saying a $159 recommended price, so my guess is BB will charge $199.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

clone
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:41 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 am

clone wrote:
it's clear the ppl designing HD 7770 knew it's performance, they built it, they tested it, it's clear they knew where it was going to fit, it's clear they also knew what was already on the market... HD 6850 and HD 5770... they built those too, it's clear AMD knew what they are doing, what they were doing and what they've done.

with this in mind AMD chose to price HD 7770 high.

which has left some confused/disappointed, railing against the choice, "their is no reason to buy HD 7770, HD 6850 is the better deal"... yes you are correct and AMD wants it that way leaving only the why to be answered.

the answer is obvious, has always been obvious but here we are 3 pages in with the same circular discussion that avoids acknowledging that AMD builds the cards, prices the cards and knows how they will fit into the market.

AMD owns the high end, they own the upper high end and now AMD owns the low end whether it be HD 5770 or HD 6850 or HD 6870 or HD 7770, HD 7850 and HD 7870 are due out in a cppl weeks at which point AMD will own the mid range and upper mid range.... .they will own it all from a performance and pricing perspective.

until they clear out the channel of HD 5xxx and HD 6xxx it'll be a great time for gamers, afterwards HD 77xx pricing will adjust as required to fill in gaps so long as 28nm production can keep up with demand and if not they can always crank out a few more HD 5xxx and HD 6xxx to prolong their lives for a few more months.

on a final note we all really need Nvidia to get something out that's competitive if not just to add some more color to the discussion let alone pricing pressure.

No worries, clone. The price issue will work itself out eventually and then all the people that are so anxious about other people talking about it being priced too high will be able to breath a sigh of relief. As derFunk said, unbunch your panties. Just sit back, relax, and wait it out.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:28 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:13 am

clone wrote:
unless of course you still don't get it
Huh? Get what?

clone
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:55 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15 pm

At the time, yes, I was talking specifically to flip-mode, but now that more and more people are freaking the f*** out, it applies to more than him. ;)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen