New to PC's -- Friend wants to build me a "Beast" machine?

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Re: New to PC's -- Friend wants to build me a "Beast" machin

Postposted on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Jason181 wrote:Did anyone else notice that his hdd only has 60 GB on it?
Dragon Age: Origins: 18.7 GiB
Dragon Age II: 6.2 GiB
Mass Effect: 9.9 GiB
Mass Effect 2: 13.4 GiB
The Witcher: 15.1 GiB
The Witcher 2: 16.0 GiB
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: 7.3 GiB
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: 8.3 GiB
Portal 2: 10.5 GiB
...and I don't even own all of the DLC for those games. I didn't count save files--only program files.

I'm guessing that the type and size of games that he has loaded now are those that are playable on his anemic system. With a more powerful PC, he'll be able to play newer (and bigger) games.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:17 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Dragon Age: Origins: 18.7 GiB
Dragon Age II: 6.2 GiB
Mass Effect: 9.9 GiB
Mass Effect 2: 13.4 GiB
The Witcher: 15.1 GiB
The Witcher 2: 16.0 GiB
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: 7.3 GiB
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: 8.3 GiB
Portal 2: 10.5 GiB
...and I don't even own all of the DLC for those games. I didn't count save files--only program files.

I'm guessing that the type and size of games that he has loaded now are those that are playable on his anemic system. With a more powerful PC, he'll be able to play newer (and bigger) games.

Don't laugh but the only game I have on this PC is World of Warcraft. I've already decided (quite some time ago) I'm going to try out the Witcher series (I've always wanted to play that.) I've given some thought to even trying out that new Starwars The Old Republic but I'm slightly iffy about that one. I have Skyrim on my PS3 but the PC version has all kinds of mods and such to make the game play more enjoyable. Though, don't get me wrong I love the game regardless. I might end up opting for a bigger ssd or bigger HDD or both. I'm still on the borderline for that. As far as the PSU, if the PSU is more than enough that comes with the tower, I might end up taking off the PSU I was going to get and put some of that money to better use else where. I'm really excited to be building the PC soon (Feb 8th or so) When I build it, I'll take pictures and such and let you guys see the process. I rather love these forums I will definitely stick around and You'll hear from me soon. I'll throw up an updated list with a bigger HDD or bigger SSD or both soon when I have more time to look around. I'm sensing if all goes according to plan, I'm going to be gaming myself into a fit before long. Long nights, long work days... Oh man, it's going to be good lol.

Cheers!
AnotherCasualty
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Oh, I've got a friend that just wont stop raving about Star Wars the Old Republic. He keeps hounding me to get it. I've heard good things from others as well. I just don't know if I have the time to make it worth purchasing right now. Anyway, good luck with the build, I'm already jealous of the system you're going to have, enjoy.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:01 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
... I didn't count save files--only program files.

Did you miss the part about just waiting on the hdd until spindle-based prices drop back to pre-flood levels?

And yes, I understand about how much space games take. Here's my collection on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/combatinef ... es?tab=all

It's just that he could easily use the extra few bucks to buy a bigger ssd to delay purchasing a hdd until he really needs one (if ever, given his latter comments).

Not everyone is a compulsive gamer like us :)
Jason181
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:56 am

Oh, I've got a friend that just wont stop raving about Star Wars the Old Republic.

As someone who has the game and discontinued his sub, I urge you to caution. Endgame is still very buggy and combat performance is laggy at best (esp in warzones). Check out their official Forums for further descriptions. (It's a bit annoying to sift through the fanboy vs hater discussions but there are many threads that give you a good picture of what you're getting for your 60 bucks)

I'm really excited to be building the PC soon (Feb 8th or so) When I build it, I'll take pictures and such and let you guys see the process.

Please do, my dear, I'm on the brink of building a system myself (not yet ready to ask these men and women here for advice though) and I'm always looking forward to hardware nude pics that get me drooling even more. ^_^
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
Ifalna
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Ifalna wrote:
Oh, I've got a friend that just wont stop raving about Star Wars the Old Republic.

As someone who has the game and discontinued his sub, I urge you to caution. Endgame is still very buggy and combat performance is laggy at best (esp in warzones). Check out their official Forums for further descriptions. (It's a bit annoying to sift through the fanboy vs hater discussions but there are many threads that give you a good picture of what you're getting for your 60 bucks)

I'm really excited to be building the PC soon (Feb 8th or so) When I build it, I'll take pictures and such and let you guys see the process.

Please do, my dear, I'm on the brink of building a system myself (not yet ready to ask these men and women here for advice though) and I'm always looking forward to hardware nude pics that get me drooling even more. ^_^

Your caution is well noted, I've been reading around myself and I think for now I'll wait on that game. What type of system are you looking to build? I've been reading and researching like crazy. My only issue would be the cabling and setting up the bios but from what I've been reading all around it's not going to be that bad. I'll def take the pictures though and show you guys and dolls the process. I'm impatiently waiting for the 8th (When I order my parts) I'm tempted to get quick shipping too but since I've waited this long a few more days will not kill me :lol:
AnotherCasualty
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:08 pm

Cabling is easy, plug everything in where it fits. Also, make sure to route your cables so the insides look nice and neat. Less cables in the way look nice and improve airflow through the case.
The BIOS should auto-detect pretty much everything. The only thing you'll likely need to change before installing windows is to set the SATA mode to AHCI. Your motherboard will come with a manual that will explain how to do that. I can't think of anything else that would be terribly pertienent on first startup that the BIOS won't already do for you.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:07 pm

What type of system are you looking to build? I've been reading and researching like crazy.

It'll probably be an Ivy-Bridge Z77 DDR3 1600 based system, but w/o actual available hardware it's way to soon to have any details.

@Setup: You get a nice manual with your MoBo they usually make for good reading. (Yeah I know it's weird but I actually enjoy reading hardware manuals.) And as the above Poster already stated: Most Hardware will be recognized and configured for stock values automatically.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
Ifalna
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Ifalna wrote:
What type of system are you looking to build? I've been reading and researching like crazy.

It'll probably be an Ivy-Bridge Z77 DDR3 1600 based system, but w/o actual available hardware it's way to soon to have any details.

@Setup: You get a nice manual with your MoBo they usually make for good reading. (Yeah I know it's weird but I actually enjoy reading hardware manuals.) And as the above Poster already stated: Most Hardware will be recognized and configured for stock values automatically.

I love reading. I'm pretty confident so I think I'll be alright. I just checked out Newegg.com and the > SAPPHIRE 100312-3L Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card > Is currently listed as "Deactivated and it may or may not be restocked". That can't be good... Luckily they have the "Dirt" edition that is > SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity.
AnotherCasualty
Gerbil

Okay! Here's the final building spec (I'm ordering Now!)

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:35 am

Hey all.

I know it's been awhile since I've been back on the forums. My refund was getting more and more delayed and finally it just popped. Since the time I was here, the combo deals have long been over and on top of that, the video card I wanted has been deactivated and is no longer in stock so the panic has once more hit me very hard :D But! I'm still excited about ordering. Before so I'm going to add my parts here to be sure 1.) I didn't forget anything and 2.) No compatibility problems.

--------

For the DVD drive I was going for
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204 but it is currently out of stock. I opted to go for the
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

For the Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129065

For the Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102954 was my first choice but it has been currently deactivated :( so they have a "Dirt Edition"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102945 -- Final choice that looked just as decent as the one above

For the Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220570 -- Final choice

For the SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233205 -- Any other suggestions?

For the CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

For the MoBo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131806 - ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

For the OS -- Windows 7 Home Premium

Power Supply ---
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044 -- I know the case I'm ordering has one, but is it sufficient enough? It says on the graphics card a power supply of 500w's +

HDD -- Still on the fence if 500 gigs will be sufficient seeing as I'm going to be a gamer-holic lol
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145299
Or I could Opt for...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284 -- Suggestions?

As far as the monitor goes I think I'm going to stick with my HDTV and just run things at lower resolutions. Im still on the fence for spending 200/300+ for a new monitor while I have this huge thing staring at my face lol

Any suggestions? Tips? This is my final run down on every thing and I wanted some input before I ordered.

**edit the Editors Choice PC looks perfect... Im so tempted to grab the parts and assemble that beast!
AnotherCasualty
Gerbil

Re: Okay! Here's the final building spec (I'm ordering Now!)

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:10 am

AnotherCasualty, you could have added these notes to your older post.

Also, it would help if you list the actual name/description of the part, with the price. Have added it below.
AnotherCasualty wrote:DVD drive - LITE-ON DVD Burner - $18
Case - Antec Three Hundred + BP430 - $85
Video Card - SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 - $280 -- Final choice that looked just as decent as the one above
Memory - Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $42 -- Final choice
SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 2.5" 90GB - $150 -- Any other suggestions?
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge - $230
MoBo - ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $190
OS -- Windows 7 Home Premium - $100
Power Supply --- Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W - $80 -- I know the case I'm ordering has one, but is it sufficient enough? It says on the graphics card a power supply of 500w's +
HDD -- Still on the fence if 500 gigs will be sufficient seeing as I'm going to be a gamer-holic lol
HITACHI 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB - $85
Or I could Opt for...
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB - $130 -- Suggestions?

From the earlier thread...
JustAnEngineer wrote:There's no need to buy two power supplies.
$60 -15MIR Antec Three Hundred ATX case

Don't forget to use the $10 off promo code "EMCNJHF28" on your hard-drive.

You also get $10 off on Windows 7 with the code EMCNHNA24 (expires 02/15/2012)

Hard disk - 500 GB may not be sufficient, but you could add a hard disk later if you wanted (once prices are more stable).
(My build, thanks to TR) i5-3570k | P8Z77-V | DDR3 1600 (4x4 GB) | Radeon 5850 | m4 128 GB | Blue SE16 500 GB | Green SE16 1 TB | Xonar DG | M12II 520 W | Sonata III | LP2475W | Blu-Ray | Access 600 | MX310 | Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
integer
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:27 am

The latest Three Hundred version called "Two" has wire management holes, big hole in the mobo tray for easy installation of aftermarket coolers, removable, washable dust filter for the PSU among other features. From the link you posted i guess you didn't order that version:
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzA0Nzkz

As an alternative to the Antec case i'd suggest the following:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811112247

Pros:
- tooles installation of everything (PSU, mobo, HDD, fans...everything)
- comes with 4 fans (3 x 140mm, 1 x 120mm)
- removable and washable dust filers (for intake fan and PSU)

Cons:
- some say the front bezel comes off a little too easy. I'd actually consider this a plus taking into consideration that you need to take it off to clean the dust filter.
Last edited by Arclight on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:39 am

Hey all. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I just ordered the Editors Choice http://techreport.com/articles.x/22104/6 I wanted to splurge just a little bit and well seeing the price tag I assume I have. I'll post pictures and such (Of the building process, etc) once it arrives. Thank You all so much for the help.

Subtotal: $1661.89
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $12.76
Total Amount: $1674.65
AnotherCasualty
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:56 am

AnotherCasualty wrote:Hey all. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I just ordered the Editors Choice http://techreport.com/articles.x/22104/6

Heh, 71 (68+3) posts later, you tell us you just ordered off the System Guide!

Congrats on the build. It should be quite a "beast". Awaiting pictures.
(My build, thanks to TR) i5-3570k | P8Z77-V | DDR3 1600 (4x4 GB) | Radeon 5850 | m4 128 GB | Blue SE16 500 GB | Green SE16 1 TB | Xonar DG | M12II 520 W | Sonata III | LP2475W | Blu-Ray | Access 600 | MX310 | Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
integer
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:51 am

Threads merged.

That's a huge and expensive case in the system guide. Did you take advantage of any of the current combination deals and discount codes?
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:55 am

AnotherCasualty wrote:For the Memory -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220570 -- Final choice

Why max yourself at 8gb from the start? Go with 16gb, believe me, it's cheap enough!

AnotherCasualty wrote:For the OS -- Windows 7 Home Premium

A better option would be Windows 7 Professional (64bit) so it can handle all the RAM you throw at it! My current setup:

AnotherCasualty wrote:HDD -- Still on the fence if 500 gigs will be sufficient seeing as I'm going to be a gamer-holic lol
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145299 Or I could Opt for... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284 -- Suggestions?

Go no less then 2tb. For HDD prices back to a dime on the gig, they are really affordable again!
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:17 am

thegleek wrote:Why max yourself at 8gb from the start? Go with 16gb, believe me, it's cheap enough!

Yup, these days my philosophy on RAM is to max out the motherboard unless there's a huge jump in $/GB to get there. 4GB DIMMs seem to be a commodity now, so...
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:33 am

thegleek wrote:Why max yourself at 8gb from the start? Go with 16gb, believe me, it's cheap enough!

The OP bought a 2x4GB kit = 8 GB with 2 dimms total. (If he didn't, I'm confused because there have been so many "final" configurations posted on this thread its getting rediculus) Unless you're buying mini-ITX mobos, most/all boards will have 4 dimm slots. Therefore the OP can always double up to 16GB in the future by adding another 2x4GB kit. Also, 4GB is still plenty for most uses.

thegleek wrote:A better option would be Windows 7 Professional (64bit) so it can handle all the RAM you throw at it!

That may be true, but you're more likely to be limited by the max ram supported by your motherboard. I would think that by the time >16GB of RAM is needed for the majority of PC users, we won't be using Win7 anymore.
DPete27
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:34 am

DPete27 wrote:The OP bought a 2x4GB kit = 8 GB with 2 dimms total. (If he didn't, I'm confused because there have been so many "final" configurations posted on this thread its getting rediculus) Unless you're buying mini-ITX mobos, most/all boards will have 4 dimm slots. Therefore the OP can always double up to 16GB in the future by adding another 2x4GB kit. Also, 4GB is still plenty for most uses.

Ridiculous. 4gb is so 1990's. 8gb these days cost a measly $30. 16gb around $60. Grow up dude.

DPete27 wrote:
thegleek wrote:A better option would be Windows 7 Professional (64bit) so it can handle all the RAM you throw at it!

That may be true, but you're more likely to be limited by the max ram supported by your motherboard. I would think that by the time >16GB of RAM is needed for the majority of PC users, we won't be using Win7 anymore.

Ok and your point is what exactly? By LIMITING yourself to a n00blar elfish Win Home 64 (16gb max) for $189 full retail versus the alternative of spending $60 more for the full retail edition of Professional 64 (which maxes out at 192gb), I would say it's not even a decision.
Last edited by thegleek on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:42 am

Chill. He wasn't suggesting Win7 Home *32-bit* at all.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:27 am

just brew it! wrote:Chill. He wasn't suggesting Win7 Home *32-bit* at all.

Fixed.
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:27 am

Ok and your point is what exactly? By LIMITING yourself to a n00blar elfish Win Home 64 (16gb max) for $189 full retail versus the alternative of spending $60 more for the full retail edition of Professional 64 (which maxes out at 192gb), I would say it's not even a decision.

His point is, that by the time you're REALLY needing more than 16GB of RAM, and I am not talking about crazy CAD applications that the usual desktop guy has no clue of, Win7 will be laughed at and so will the rest of his computer.

It's like saying that I must push more than 4GB in my C2D E6600 Rig that I'm currently using, sure it could handle more, but what's the point? Software that uses more will run bad because the rest of the system is outdated. "Moar RAM" won't fix that.

If you buy a system don't just buy "MAX AVAILABLE FOR E-PEENZ!", buy what you really need. If he can save 60 Bucks on Windows because more than 16GB is utopian for his usage, then let him do that and use the money on a faster GFX or let him put the money away for a rainy day.
Ifalna
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:36 pm

thegleek wrote:Ridiculous. 4gb is so 1990's. 8gb these days cost a measly $30. 16gb around $60. Grow up dude.

TR seems to agree with me, as you can see in their system guide published 2 months ago. If you flip to the next page you see they recommend 8GB as an alternative mostly because it's so cheap, and I agree. I always suggest/use 2x4GB kits in my builds for this same reason unless the budget is so tight that I can't squeeze out another $15ish or if the client simply wont ever benefit from it; like an office-use computer or HTPC. (keeping in mind again that most mobos will have 2 open dimm slots when you're done, so upgrading to ~ 14GB+ total later is always a possibility)
DPete27
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:19 pm

DPete27 wrote:
thegleek wrote:Ridiculous. 4gb is so 1990's. 8gb these days cost a measly $30. 16gb around $60. Grow up dude.

TR seems to agree with me, as you can see in their system guide published 2 months ago. If you flip to the next page you see they recommend 8GB as an alternative mostly because it's so cheap, and I agree. I always suggest/use 2x4GB kits in my builds for this same reason unless the budget is so tight that I can't squeeze out another $15ish or if the client simply wont ever benefit from it; like an office-use computer or HTPC. (keeping in mind again that most mobos will have 2 open dimm slots when you're done, so upgrading to ~ 14GB+ total later is always a possibility)

Oh I'm sorry, let me get this... You're concerned over a total price of $623.92 and not adding on +$10 for $633.92 to bring the ram up from 4gb to 8gb? My bad, have at.
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:18 pm

I give the Crap-ON err i mean LITE-ON dvd a year tops.They used to be good but not anymore,think i read BenQ bought them out a good while ago.........but what he hell wont cost much to replace:)
2600k HT on@4705mhz 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards running in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922.2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:34 pm

thegleek wrote:Oh I'm sorry, let me get this... You're concerned over a total price of $623.92 and not adding on +$10 for $633.92 to bring the ram up from 4gb to 8gb? My bad, have at.

Are you even reading his posts?

He agrees with the poster's decision to buy 2 dimms for 8 GB. His point is that Win Pro 64 really not necessary because there's really no point in putting 24 GB in a system like that, unless you're covering for other deficiencies.

He's a new builder, and it's probably wise to stick with a 2 dimm config as 4 dimms can sometimes be problematic. If you like to max out your board, more power to you, but just realize it's not really necessary and even the system guide goes with 8. Maybe you should argue the point with TR editors?
Jason181
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:22 pm

WOW.

All my parts came in at the same time (Minus the CPU! Which arrives Monday). This case is bloody HUGE! > Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (CC650DW-1) Black Steel structure with black brushed aluminum faceplate ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -- It's so nice!

I'm loving the GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores -- it's also bloody huge, and pretty heavy. I hate having all these parts here, looking at the boxes and knowing I cannot do anything until Monday! It's odd to me that everything shipped at the same time but only the CPU > Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K is arriving Monday. Oh man I think I'm going to lose it before Monday lol.

The free voucher for Batman Arkham City is nice also - I'm pretty sure I'll end up blowing up the forums asking for help once I start to assemble this sexy thing.
AnotherCasualty
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:13 pm

AnotherCasualty wrote:I hate having all these parts here, looking at the boxes and knowing I cannot do anything until Monday! It's odd to me that everything shipped at the same time but only the CPU > Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K is arriving Monday. Oh man I think I'm going to lose it before Monday lol.

Actually, you can start by getting the power supply, hard disk, and optical drive installed in the chassis, and if you already have your CPU cooler, you can get the cooler's mounting bracket installed on the motherboard and then install the motherboard in the case, as well. Once the mobo is installed in the chassis, pop in the memory stick closest to the CPU, and then test-fit your cooler to make sure there are no obstructions. If the cooler seems to be hover against or over any of the motherboard power supply connectors, test-fit those, too. With the mobo installed, you can start locating and connecting front-panel switch, audio, and USB connectors and SATA cables for your disks. Try to find a good routing path that keeps them out of the way, but don't start zip-tying yet as you may need to move or reconnect some things during final assembly.

Besides normal static precautions, the two things you don't want to do are (1) install any screw mounts that the motherboard doesn't use, or omit any that it does use; and (2) start flexing any broad or loose edges of the motherboard that don't have stable screw mounts very close by. If need be, support the edge of the board with one hand, while plugging or unplugging nearby cables with the other hand.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:24 pm

ludi wrote:
AnotherCasualty wrote:I hate having all these parts here, looking at the boxes and knowing I cannot do anything until Monday! It's odd to me that everything shipped at the same time but only the CPU > Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K is arriving Monday. Oh man I think I'm going to lose it before Monday lol.

Actually, you can start by getting the power supply, hard disk, and optical drive installed in the chassis, and if you already have your CPU cooler, you can get the cooler's mounting bracket installed on the motherboard and then install the motherboard in the case, as well. Once the mobo is installed in the chassis, pop in the memory stick closest to the CPU, and then test-fit your cooler to make sure there are no obstructions. If the cooler seems to be hover against or over any of the motherboard power supply connectors, test-fit those, too. With the mobo installed, you can start locating and connecting front-panel switch, audio, and USB connectors and SATA cables for your disks. Try to find a good routing path that keeps them out of the way, but don't start zip-tying yet as you may need to move or reconnect some things during final assembly.

Besides normal static precautions, the two things you don't want to do are (1) install any screw mounts that the motherboard doesn't use, or omit any that it does use; and (2) start flexing any broad or loose edges of the motherboard that don't have stable screw mounts very close by. If need be, support the edge of the board with one hand, while plugging or unplugging nearby cables with the other hand.

He could put the motherboard in, but general advice is to test the motherboard outside of the case beforehand. You want to know whether or not it works first. If it does, then you can install it, and you can eliminate it from the list of problems if the system doesn't post.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:28 am

AnotherCasualty wrote:I'm pretty sure I'll end up blowing up the forums asking for help once I start to assemble this sexy thing.

This should help you get started. Do read your manuals as that guide was a bit dated, but hey, nice hand model there. ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

PreviousNext

Return to System Builders Anonymous