Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Mountain Lion introducing OSX Developer Jails

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:28 am

Cnet wrote:
So what's not from iOS?
Apple has made two specific additions to Mountain Lion that cannot be found on iOS. The top one is Gatekeeper, a new security feature designed to fend off malware by controlling what applications can and cannot be installed.
As a new preference within Mountain Lion's security tools, users can choose between one of the following allowed source options:
• Mac App Store
• Mac App Store and identified developers
• Anywhere
By default, Apple's got Mountain Lion set in the middle option, which employs a signature system that checks with Apple to see if a creator of a non-App Store app is a registered developer.
Apple says developers can register for these IDs, then sign their software with them in its Xcode development software. When a user tries to install that software for the first time, the system will then check to make sure it has not been altered since being signed, and that the developer is not a known distributor of malware.
One important thing to point out about this system is that it will not uninstall unsigned software, or prohibit you from using software you've already installed. It's also been designed to let you manually override the protection measures and install something that hasn't been signed, even if your settings are turned all the way up to App Store only.
Another non-iOS addition is the handful of localizations to OS X aimed at Chinese users, including system-wide tie-ins to local search engines and content sharing sites. That includes Baidu search in Safari, integration with QQ, 126 and 163 in Mail, and sharing to services like Sina weibo, Youku and Tudou. Apple's also made some adjustments to its text input for Chinese users' typing in with simplified and traditional Chinese, along with a dictionary the company says will be more frequently updated to keep up.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57378 ... z1mYT5k782

The future (1984) begins here? This is a mildly worrying step. Next thing you know, we'll need OSX jailbreaks as well.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Mountain Lion introducing OSX Developer Jails

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:13 am

While I don't implicitly trust any software company, let's not jump the gun. I don't see anything here that's requiring the Mac App Store. I do see things put in place that will help prevent malware. And if you want to turn the code signing features, the article explains that you can do that, too.

Besides, I don't think you can successfully put the lid on pandora's box here - officially supported software for OS X exists outside of the app store and you can't suddenly wall off the garden without giving up a large portion of your user base. If that's the direction they're going with releases beyond Mountain Lion, you can guarantee a substantial portion of people will stop upgrading and buying Macs. It's not like the iOS world where it's always been that way.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:28 am

Heck, even Linux -- child of the Open Source movement -- has official software repositories, which contain only applications which have been blessed by the maintainers of the distro you're running. Granted this is more akin to a picket fence you can easily hop over than a walled garden or jail, but I don't see how this latest move by Apple even remotely resembles a jail either.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:30 am

just brew it! wrote:
Heck, even Linux -- child of the Open Source movement -- has official software repositories, which contain only applications which have been blessed by the maintainers of the distro you're running. Granted this is more akin to a picket fence you can easily hop over than a walled garden or jail, but I don't see how this latest move by Apple even remotely resembles a jail either.

Ya, I was going to use Cydia (the jailbreak "app store" for iOS devices) as an example. If you add an additional repo it's going to warn you that it may have bad stuff. And then I forgot to actually use the example.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:36 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Besides, I don't think you can successfully put the lid on pandora's box here - officially supported software for OS X exists outside of the app store and you can't suddenly wall off the garden without giving up a large portion of your user base. If that's the direction they're going with releases beyond Mountain Lion, you can guarantee a substantial portion of people will stop upgrading and buying Macs. It's not like the iOS world where it's always been that way.

It's true they can't just cut everything off, but they can build a wall one brick at a time. This is Apple after all, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

A subset of the Mac community would care, like people who post on tech sites, but I doubt the vast majority would care. It will be easier for them, and they'll like it. Put all the user data on a Time Machine device, or a Mini Server, and the iCloud, and people could move between Apple without having to sync up files and applications.

We know the pain of moving computers. If people can login to a new computer and just have their applications and data there, that would be a big win for usability.

This signing feature kind of sounds like what Windows already does, and Linux repos, as it's been pointed out.

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:07 pm

Don't forget that Windows 8 will be doing the same thing. Windows App Store, the ARM based end of it will likely be something similar to Android. There ARE ways to sideload, but 99% of people won't use them. In fact, I think you'd find most Android users would like Google to do MORE to police the App Market with all the BS titles and malware/etc on there. Its easy to avoid if you're remotely tech inclined, but for those that aren't, its a nightmare.

End User

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
We know the pain of moving computers. If people can login to a new computer and just have their applications and data there, that would be a big win for usability.

This has been a feature of OS X for some time now.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Forge wrote:
The future (1984) begins here? This is a mildly worrying step. Next thing you know, we'll need OSX jailbreaks as well.

I dunno, isn't this old news? Hasn't Apple been blacklisting certain stuff before in the name of security?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/ ... -mouse.ars
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2008/ ... cklist.ars

I mean, really? Go OSS or something if you don't like what Apple does. Maybe I've gotten all apathetic in my old age, but this really doesn't concern me even if Apple blocks out apps left and right and revokes them for no reason. The market will decide if it's of enough concern to hurt Apple financially. Whining about it here won't change anything.

Ok, maybe I've gotten cynical, too.

End User

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Scrotos wrote:
Forge wrote:

I dunno, isn't this old news? Hasn't Apple been blacklisting certain stuff before in the name of security?

Apple clearly states that with Mountain Lion "You can download and run applications from anywhere". The OS X related story you linked to was specifically about malware.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:52 pm

End User wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:

This has been a feature of OS X for some time now.

How so?

Corrado

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
How so?

Time Machine

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:16 pm

Corrado wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:
How so?

Time Machine

Ya, Time Machine + Time Capsule (or AEBS + USB drive, in my case) = plug in the new Mac and connect. Everything gets moved onto the new machine, and it's way faster than using your internet connection.

End User

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:16 pm

Corrado wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:
How so?

Time Machine

Migration Assistant

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 am

Is it automatic though? Do people have to think about it? Does it sync your files and applications across iPad, iPhones, and Macs you don't own and all you have to do is login? I'm talking about Dropbox for your entire computer not a backup solution or migration assistant.

derFunkenstein's solution is pretty close, except substitute USB drive for server in a datacenter.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:08 am

OK, I get what you're talking about, and no, I don't believe anything like that exists outside of Dropbox (which I gladly pay for the Pro50 account and use it to sync docs and recording/mix sessions across multiple computers and treat as an off-site backup for really important stuff).

Apple has it for media purchases. Buy something on your iPad and it downloads to your Mac (or vice versa), and there's iTunes match. But it doesn't do that for Mac apps or general user data. Time Machine is the automatic backup and setting up a new Mac automatically invokes Migration Assistant, which prompts you to download via Time Machine, but it's not a sync service. I'd totally dig it if it was, though.

End User

Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:42 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Is it automatic though? Do people have to think about it? Does it sync your files and applications across iPad, iPhones, and Macs you don't own and all you have to do is login? I'm talking about Dropbox for your entire computer not a backup solution or migration assistant.

When you buy a new Mac or install a fresh copy of OS X the setup wizard will give you the option to import your account. If the original account had iCloud and Dropbox already setup then yes, you will be back in sync immediately. All of your iOS data will be in iTunes. Any apps that you have purchased via the iOS App Store or the Mac App Store will also be installed. The only thing that is missing is the ability to store your entire OS X account in the cloud. iOS already does this:

"When you set up a new iOS device or need to restore the information on one you already have, iCloud Backup does the heavy lifting. Just connect your device to Wi-Fi and enter your Apple ID and password. Your personal data — along with your purchased music, TV shows, apps, and books from iTunes — will appear on your device.2 If you’re an iTunes Match user, you can download your entire music library from iCloud."

adisor19
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:28 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
While I don't implicitly trust any software company, let's not jump the gun. I don't see anything here that's requiring the Mac App Store.

Apparently, only applications that are signed/from the App Store can actually interact with the new integrated Notifications system.

Adi

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:32 am

adisor19 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
While I don't implicitly trust any software company, let's not jump the gun. I don't see anything here that's requiring the Mac App Store.

Apparently, only applications that are signed/from the App Store can actually interact with the new integrated Notifications system.

Adi

I'm talking about where you buy apps. No app is going to be blocked just because it wasn't in the app store.