Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Will this PSU work on a new build?

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi all,

With Ivy Bridge and Kepler coming out in a couple months, I was starting to price out a new build (I'm currently on an 3800+ with an 8800 GTS)..

One of the components I was wondering about was my PSU.

I've currently got a Ultra X-Connect X2 550W Power Supply (unfortunately doesn't have an 80+ cert of any sort). Looking at the specs, I'm thinking it has enough wattage to move into my new machine. Will there be a downside since the PSU is about 4-5 years old now, or should I just be looking for a new more efficient PSU?

Thanks!

clone
Gerbil Elite

Re: Will this PSU work on a new build?

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

druidcent
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:15 am

Thanks, that's what I was hoping,

P.S. I know about Ivy bridge, but I'm hoping that I can find an early release or something :D

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:25 am

Your Ultra X-Connect X2 550W power supply is rated at 408 watts total on the +12 V rails. That should be good enough for a system with a single GPU, assuming that you stay away from ridiculously power-gobbling cards like the GeForce GTX480.

My personal experience with Ultra branded power supplies hasn't been great.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

druidcent
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:29 am

Well crap... I can just hope that Kepler is much less power hungry than Fermi. I was looking at least one 670 (guessing the number).

Bocava
Gerbil In Training

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:52 pm

550 PSU is fine for your set up.

Rageypoo
Gerbil

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:54 pm

I have an amd HD 6870, a 2400k and 8 gigs memory, 1 tb HDD and 2agility 3 SSD in raid 0 all running on a 400w psu...that 550 is more than enough my fwiend =)

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:12 pm

It might be enough, or might not. You'll never know (disregard all the "MY TRIPLE SLI SYSTEM RUNS ON 300W PSU AND IT'S FINE!!!!111" junk posts) until you'll personally try it with whatever configuration you're planning to build. If it won't be enough - nothing (permanently) bad will really happen, your future system will simply spontaneously reboot when trying to play some future game :wink: In my personal opinion: if you don't already have a "spare" PSU at home - buy a new one RIGHT NOW (some good brand like Seasonic/Corsair/Antec in 650-850W range with plenty of compatible connectors/cables like 8-pin EPS and at least a couple of 6/8-pin PCI-E) and keep it as a "spare" (just make sure to test it first so you'll be able to return it in case if something is wrong with it), in case if your current PSU will burn out or if it won't be enough for your future system build.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Rageypoo
Gerbil

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:24 am

JohnC wrote:
It might be enough, or might not. You'll never know (disregard all the "MY TRIPLE SLI SYSTEM RUNS ON 300W PSU AND IT'S FINE!!!!111" junk posts) until you'll personally try it with whatever configuration you're planning to build. If it won't be enough - nothing (permanently) bad will really happen, your future system will simply spontaneously reboot when trying to play some future game :wink: In my personal opinion: if you don't already have a "spare" PSU at home - buy a new one RIGHT NOW (some good brand like Seasonic/Corsair/Antec in 650-850W range with plenty of compatible connectors/cables like 8-pin EPS and at least a couple of 6/8-pin PCI-E) and keep it as a "spare" (just make sure to test it first so you'll be able to return it in case if something is wrong with it), in case if your current PSU will burn out or if it won't be enough for your future system build.

Wow, so my post is junk? Helping someone out by telling them how and what my system runs and with what is junk? You're a jerk bud

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:25 am

I don't think he was singling you out, Rageypoo. Your post wasn't bad. It was a touch vague, though — not all 400 W power supplies are created equal. There are cheaply-built units and immaculate Seasonic fanless things and everything in between. Some 400W units can supply 450 W continuously in a common indoor environment, whereas some of them couldn't manage 300 W. Who made it is very important.

@druidcent: as Engineer said, modern GPUs don't suck much juice. Unless you have multiple monitors or a 2560x1600 30" unit, you won't need a flagship GPU. If your current PSU hasn't been acting flaky I wouldn't mind keeping it for a new build. I'm not sure I like the Ultra brand, because I seem to recall them overrating a lot of their power supplies. I also don't know who the OEM is on that unit... but if it works, it works.

cjcerny
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:12 pm

Power wise, you're probably fine. Your main problem is likely going to be whether or not your power supply has all the right connectors on it for newer hardware. Five years ago, motherboards had 20 pin and 4 pin connectors on them. Today, most have 24 pin and 8 pin connectors. You could run into the same problem elsewhere.

druidcent
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:01 pm

It's a modular PSU, and I think it has the connections. I like the idea of getting a spare PSU to work with in case this one fries or doesn't have the right cables... I'll just wait for Newegg to have another PSU sale on the Corsair's or OCZ's..

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:51 pm

well, just my 2 cents.

I would need to have some confidence in the quality of a PSU that was 4-5 years old before putting it in a new rig.

There have been some significant improvements in quality , both efficiency and regulation in the last few years.
Also, the continued move to 12 V predominance.

So, while you won't need a huge amount of wattage, clean power is always important to maintaining electronics.

I would look for sales on super-flower gold and platinum units.

Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-550 550W Continuous @ 50°C, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active - PFC Power Supply

is often on sale for $60 ($80 today not on sale.)

Not a fan of OCZ. have some OK models, but also some that I would steer away from...mixed together, it is hard to tell on grade from the next.

If you are will to pay $100, then this is probably the best on the market (quality/value)

KINGWIN Absolute Platinum Series AP-550 550W ATX 12V v2.2, EPS 12V v2.91 and SSI EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:14 am

The Rosewill Capstone series is an extremely robust thing produced (iirc) by Superflower which is a reputable OEM. I'm not sure who made KINGWIN's Absolute Platinum but their modular Lazer Platinums are Superflower, too, I think.

fwiw, Newegg very often has a huge deal on a very-nice power supply in their weekly mailers, and they sometimes show up in Shell Shockers, too. Given a month's patience, and assuming you're not particularly bound by brand loyalty, you are virtually guaranteed to find yourself an 80+ Gold PSU in a reasonable wattage (4-650) for 25% off or more (sometimes significantly more). Also check the other etailers (and B&M joints like MicroCenter if you have one nearby).