dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:49 pm

This Scotch is for you.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:34 pm

I will also be working this Sunday... and on Mardi Gras, which is otherwise a business holiday for this location. :(
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:36 pm

....mardi gras is a business holiday?! I have to move there. Wow.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:33 pm

Ya I used to work for a company with its main headquarters in Mobile and the home office was always empty for Mardi Gras. To make up for it, they let us up here take off the Friday of our local festival in June.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 pm

honeyed whiskey is sooo damn good, just on the rocks. So very, very good.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:41 am

Captain Ned wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:When my executive director stands up in a meeting and says (verbatim) that our expectation of employees is that they will exceed expectations it takes my daily allowance of self restraint to not point out how frigging STUPID that sounds if you think about.

Um, um, well I think you'll need to come in on Saturday.

I'll be working a bit from home today, and worked a half day yesterday (which was supposed to be a day off as we're on a 9/80 schedule).

My favorite line is: "You can't prove this is impossible!"

To paraphrase the White Queen from Alice in Wonderland: "Why, sometimes management has believed as many as six impossible things before lunch."
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:45 am

just brew it! wrote:To paraphrase the White Queen from Alice in Wonderland: "Why, sometimes management has believed as many as six impossible things before lunch."

Sounds more like Douglas Adams to me.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:23 am

The Alice in Wonderland quote is: "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Now if I could only harness the power of an improbability drive to help me get my work done... :wink:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:24 am

You'll need a cup of really hot tea.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:30 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:You'll need a cup of really hot tea.

Good luck, if Eddie is brewing the tea.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:38 am

I'm brewing some right now. Pomegranate Black Tea.

It's very tasty, but you might use it as the brownian motion source for your finite improbability generator.
http://www.earthstar.co.uk/drive.htm
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:22 pm

No wonder the postal service is constantly losing money. With the holiday, the soonest it'll get here is Tuesday.

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:36 pm

I've had some stuff that was shipped USPS arrive a couple of days earlier than predicted though. So it is a crapshoot.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:05 pm

I don't think I've ever seen that, though. Still, we're talking 6 days for "priority" mail. UPS ground is faster than that.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:29 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:I don't think I've ever seen that, though.

Possibly because you're not in a major metro area...
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:02 pm

So, is it just me, or is it normal to get a bit freaked out/anxious/excited to start your first real job after college? Ugh. Makes it really hard to sleep at night.
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Core i7 3770 | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600| Samsung 830 128GB SSD | Gigabyte HD7950 3GB | Win 7 Pro x86-64
CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Sounds normal to me!
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:09 pm

CampinCarl wrote:So, is it just me, or is it normal to get a bit freaked out/anxious/excited to start your first real job after college? Ugh. Makes it really hard to sleep at night.

Entirely normal. It's the first step of independence, where there's no fallback position just waiting for you and for the first time you realize "Crap, I've got to do this".

We old farts all had the same shakes moving from college to the Real World, though I will say that the consequences of failure in 1985 are nothing like today's consequences of failure.

Ignore my depressing stuff and go out there and make your way in the world. Give it a good roar when you get there.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Ya, Peoria is probably not "metro". There's like 300k people in the area (and that might actually be counting B/N...lol), rather than 5-10 million.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:02 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Ya, Peoria is probably not "metro". There's like 300k people in the area (and that might actually be counting B/N...lol), rather than 5-10 million.

There's only -2- Peoria's in the entire USA... One is near Chicago, IL (2010 census: 115k people). The Other is near Phoenix, AZ (2010 census: 154k people). I'm assuming you're from the Illinois locale, but I am unsure because of your "made-up" number of 300k doesn't match any realistic statistics.

And finally... wtf is B/N? It's not even googlable/urban dictionary'd.
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:04 am

thegleek wrote:There's only -2- Peoria's in the entire USA... One is near Chicago, IL (2010 census: 115k people). The Other is near Phoenix, AZ (2010 census: 154k people). I'm assuming you're from the Illinois locale, but I am unsure because of your "made-up" number of 300k doesn't match any realistic statistics.

And finally... wtf is B/N? It's not even googlable/urban dictionary'd.

300K looks like a reasonable rough order of magnitude guess for Peoria and other nearby communities (40 mile radius, give or take). B/N = Bloomington/Normal.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:02 pm

I'm moving into a new place March 1st. Chances are I'm not going to be able to have the router in my room and wanted to know if you guys would suggest an AP or a wireless adapter for my desktop. I'm asking which one to get, not a particular model really. Although if someone wants to suggest either go for it.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:58 am

Peoria is sooooooo not near Chicago. That's like saying hot dogs are near filet mingon. Not sure which is which in this analogy.

Congrats, Jack. As for which to get, I'd get a USB wifi adapter for the desktop - wireless N really only saturates USB2.0 in best case scenarios, assuming you have an 802.11n router.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:03 am

derFunkenstein wrote:Peoria is sooooooo not near Chicago.

To non-Illinoisans anything north of Springfield is "near Chicago". :lol:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:38 am

just brew it! wrote:To non-Illinoisans anything north of Springfield is "near Chicago". :lol:

I always thought Springfield was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Chicago.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:50 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:To non-Illinoisans anything north of Springfield is "near Chicago". :lol:

I always thought Springfield was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Chicago.

While you could certainly get that impression from the outside looking in, it's not necessarily true in practice. Outside of the Chicago area the state tends to lean Republican, and we've had a fair number of Republican governors (about half of them /handwave).
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:53 am

Yes, we're an equal-opportunity state. Governors from both parties can go to jail. :lol:
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:58 am

derFunkenstein wrote:Yes, we're an equal-opportunity state. Governors from both parties can go to jail. :lol:

Meanwhile, here in VT scandal consists of the House Sgt-at-Arms caught road-hunting (shot a decoy deer from his pickup while still on the road). The first time brought a "please don't do that again". It wasn't until the second time Fish & Game busted him that he resigned.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:48 am

Anyone who is fooled by a decoy twice SHOULD be put out to pasture! :lol:
BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:01 pm

BiffStroganoffsky wrote:Anyone who is fooled by a decoy twice SHOULD be put out to pasture! :lol:

I agree wholeheartedly. Take away the license, please... :lol:
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch