Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: What's a good website for hypochondriacs?

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Darkmage wrote:
Despite everyone staring at you, nobody is curious enough to actually ask you about why you're walking around with an eye patch.

Assuming you were accessorized correctly, that was probably the saber and flintlock musket doing their jobs for you.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm

ludi wrote:
Darkmage wrote:
Despite everyone staring at you, nobody is curious enough to actually ask you about why you're walking around with an eye patch.

Assuming you were accessorized correctly, that was probably the saber and flintlock musket doing their jobs for you.

I've seen pictures here of him out on the range, so I'm guessing it was the crossed bandoliers full of flintlock pistols that set people off. :D
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Darkmage wrote:
notfred wrote:
Can you see UV?
Oooh, interesting. I wish I had seen that beforehand. Oh well. I have a black light at home that I use when searching for cat pee. I'll have to fire it up and see what's different between my natural lens and the new lens.
I'll be damned. I can indeed. That is all kinds of freaky.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Darkmage wrote:
Darkmage wrote:
notfred wrote:
Can you see UV?

Oooh, interesting. I wish I had seen that beforehand. Oh well. I have a black light at home that I use when searching for cat pee. I'll have to fire it up and see what's different between my natural lens and the new lens.

I'll be damned. I can indeed. That is all kinds of freaky.

We had a project here at work a couple of years ago that involved lots of UV LEDs. There were just a couple of people in the office who could tell when they were on just by looking at them; the rest of us had to hold a piece of laser printer paper in front of them (there's apparently something in the paper that fluoresces when hit by UV).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:12 pm

just brew it! wrote:
(there's apparently something in the paper that fluoresces when hit by UV).

A UV-sensitive dye, most likely. At least, laundry detergents will often do that. Most light sources emit trace amounts (if not more) of UV-range light, and the the fluorescing dye then gives the impression of brighter whites.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration