Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Using 2 Routers - one g and one n

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:54 pm

So, I have a wireless-n router, but its not simultanous. My goal is to set it to Wireless-n only @ 5ghz, and then hook up my trusty old WRT54G2 up and have it handle all the wireless-g devices (2.4 ghz). I have an empty basement but, I'm looking at hooking it up like this:

Modem -> Linksys E2000 (wireless-n only) -> WRT54G. I'll also have a printer and computer hard wired, probably through the E2000.

Are there any special configurations for the E2500 other than forcing it into Wireless-n and 5 ghz?
How do I need to configure the WRT54G2?
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Using 2 Routers - one g and one n

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:24 pm

If it were me, I'd put them on the same SSID with the same encryption settings and that would be it - assuming they are connected to the same network segment :) Make sure you select channels which are free of interference :)

Then all clients will be configured the same.
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:27 pm

If you want to have the two networks talk to each other nicely, you would want to disable DHCP on the WRT54G, set its lan IP to something other than the E2500, and connect the two together using lan ports on each. This would make the 54G a wireless bridge/AP, and remove all router function.

The benefit to this is that everything on the 5ghz (and plugged directly into the E2500) would be able to connect to everything on the G band, while if you ran the 54G as a router all the wireless "behind" it would be hidden from the rest of your network.

We did this a few times in our school district when we needed an AP and a mini switch, but I've seen linksys routers default all their settings for no reason and totally screw up a network, too.
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]

churin
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:03 pm

highlandr wrote:
If you want to have the two networks talk to each other nicely, you would want to disable DHCP on the WRT54G, set its lan IP to something other than the E2500, and connect the two together using lan ports on each. This would make the 54G a wireless bridge/AP, and remove all router function.

The benefit to this is that everything on the 5ghz (and plugged directly into the E2500) would be able to connect to everything on the G band, while if you ran the 54G as a router all the wireless "behind" it would be hidden from the rest of your network.

We did this a few times in our school district when we needed an AP and a mini switch, but I've seen linksys routers default all their settings for no reason and totally screw up a network, too.

I agree to your suggestion as above, but does the last paragraph mean your suggested configuration is not stable so that it cannot be relied upon?

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:56 am

churin wrote:
highlandr wrote:

I agree to your suggestion as above, but does the last paragraph mean your suggested configuration is not stable so that it cannot be relied upon?

That last paragraph is why I don't buy Linksys routers. :D That and the fact that the older ones had a tendency to hard lock on a regular basis.
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]