Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Shinare
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Overclock an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v?

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:31 pm

OK, so a little background information. I bought this laptop off of ebay and I feel I got burned on it a little. The listing said it had a Mobility 5650 and was for a cheap price, so I thought I would jump on it before anyone else did. Well, when I received the laptop, I checked the device manager and it showed a HD 4650. I was pretty upset and contacted the seller. He agreed to give me $50 back since I was expecting a 5650 and got a 4650 and the small diference wasn't worth the effort. Well that was about a month ago. Today I update the driver and find out its actually a HD550v (what the driver installation process found) and thats whats being displayed in device manager now. Come to find out the 550v is the same exact chip as a 4650 but with a lot slower clocks. I go back to a GPU-Z screenshot I took to prove to the guy that it was a 4650 and sure enough it reports that it is a 4650 but with the way slower 550v clocks (450mhz core 600mhz memory). A regular mobility 4650 should have 550mhz core and 800mhz memory. Well, according to the guy's auction page its too late to complain any more about it (7 day money back guarantee and all) and I already squeezed $50 back from the guy from an already low price and said I was satisfied.

Anyway, is there a way I can OC this "550v" so that it at least has Mobility 4650 clocks? Would it be worth the effort? Is it going to hurt the laptop?

Thanks
For with what measure you measure it will be measured to you.

Game_boy
Gerbil Elite

Re: Overclock an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v?

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Since it is a 46xx chip, it likely will reach 4650 clocks. I'm 95% sure yours would be downclocked to save power rather than because it couldn't do it, so overclocking it will increase power consumption but probably not take the chip out of engineering limits. I see little risk.

Do you need it to be though? Is it not fast enough for what you want to do?

Shinare
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:54 am

The honest truth of the matter is no, I really don't need it to be OC'd. Its a Christmas gift for my Daughter that is going off to college next year. She will most likely never play a game on it that they current video card could not run. (she's more into flash based games like on msn) I think for me its a matter of pride. I got ripped off on ebay and want to make it at least a little closer to what it was that I was sold.

I think your question hit home. It really doesn't need to be OC'd and since she's going to be half way across the country, I don't really want to remotely fix her laptop if the OC screws things up. I guess I'll just be happy with it the way it is, I know she will.
For with what measure you measure it will be measured to you.

ankinferno
Gerbil In Training

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:10 am

Hi,, it is Possible to OC A laptop Graphics Card. . I'm having a Dell Inspiron 15R (N5010)

Default config :

Intel Core i5-480M (2.666.7 Mhz ~ 2.6 Ghz)

Intel HM57 (IbexPeak-M DH) - MotherBoard

RAM : Samsung (M471B5773CHS-CH9) 4GB (2x2Gb) - 533.1 Mhz

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v (M96) - 1Gb - Core speed 450Mhz / Mem Speed - 600 Mhz

But I have Tweaked all most all the Hardware settings to current Config :

Intel Core i5-480M ~ 2.6 Ghz -> Now Turbo boosted to 2.9 Ghz

RAM : Samsung (M471B5773CHS-CH9) 4GB (2x2Gb) - 533.1 Mhz -> Reduces the Latency as much as possible with stability

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v (M96) - 1Gb - -> current speed Core speed 650Mhz / Mem Speed - 796.1 Mhz

________________________________________________________________________________________

And you wont blve it . . on the Default Config the Windows Assessment Score was 5.4 , , and After all the Tweakings its now 6.5 . .

k .. so Here's wht i Did..

1.) First For the Graphics Card:

Downloaded :

1.) AMD Catalyst 12.2 Preview Driver
(http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalys ... -2848.html)

2.) RivaTuner, GPU-Z,

(available at 3dguru.com)

Install the AMD Catalyst 12.2 Preview Driver...

Install the "RivaTuner" but don't open the programm.

Now open the "GPU-Z" and watch the Device ID you have.

Go to C:\Program Files\RivaTuner v2.24

search the file RivaTuner.cfg and open with Notepad.

search "[GPU_1002]". you will see ATI chipset numbers and IDs.

For ATI Mobility Radeon HD4570 search RV710 and add the Device ID + h. something like this ( ,XXXXh)

For ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650/HD4670 search RV730 and add the Device ID + h. something like this ( ,XXXXh)

Now save the file on Desktop RivaTuner.cfg

Remove the RivaTuner.cfg from the Rivatuner folder and then paste the new file from your Desktop to the RivaTuner folder

Lunch the Rivatuner.exe

Now you can see you videocard in the window

Click on it and choose the videocard picture

Now click on "Enable low-lavel hardware overclocking"

I recommend for ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 HD: Core clock=650MHz / Memory clock=796MHz for stability of your system

Now click on "Apply overclocking at Windows stratup"

Click on "Restore clock frequencies after suspended mode"

Click "Apply" then "Ok"

Go to "GPU-Z" and watch your Core clock&Memory clock.

ENJOY :-)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

And for higher Performance ... Tweak the RAM timings :

Downloaded :

1.) CPUTweaker v 1.5

(http://www.tweakers.fr/cputweaker.html)

Extract the CPUtweaker folder,,

Open Cpu Tweaker

and change the timings carefully...

According to my RAM i gve these values :

-> RAM Timmings I modified using CPU-Tweaker 1.5 (Dell Inspiron 15R N5010)

trcd-r - 6

trp - 5

tras - 8

Sub timmings Down :

trcd-w -6

trfc - 64

trrd - 1

Twtp - 13

trtp -1

tref - 2080T

All Precharge to Active - 6

All Precharge to Refresh -6

Precharge to Precharge D - 0

Refresh to Refresh D - 64

Trd - 6

mch ODT Read Command - 0

Dram ODT Write Command - 0

Dram ODT Read Command - 0

After this click on Apply . . .

NOTE: I 'm having one problem in this tht is,,, CPUTweaker is not setting my defined timings at window Startup.. i have to apply these time manually every time window starts up . . rest,,, my system is working absolutely fine...

________________________________________________________________________________________

And the last Tweak,, I enabled Intel SpeedStep from the BIOS,, and Installed the Intel TurboBoost Driver.

and then went to the advanced power Options and changed the 'Min Processor State' under the ' Processor Power Management' to 100% for Plugged In mode

and changed the ' Max Processor State ' under the same menu to 99% to both Battery and Plugged In modes...

___xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_______________xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx________________

That is it.... then my Windows Assignmet Score went up from 5.4 to a whooping 6.5 . .

For further Benching I have used 4 Games to keep an eye on the Performance, Lagging, and FPS:

# All games have been tested at Default Graphics Settings of the Games, , Only the Resolution was Max i.e 1366x768

Games Used _________________ Initial FPS ___________ Tweaked Settings FPS

FEAR 3 78 126

NFS Hot Pursuit 2011 58 93

SSF4 AE 65 96

Battle Field 3 (2011) 39 69

So.. Iguess... changing the Graphics options for individual games will even give a much more high FPS . .

k...

Hope u Like my Post..

~~ Ankinferno

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:17 pm

Locked, don't necro 4 month old post please.