Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Galaxy Nexus CDMA/LTE

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Who here has been rocking this phone?

I'd really like to know what ROM/kernel combination you have running and what you think about battery life. I've been flashing like crazy to try and find the best one and have yet to be too impressed. The best battery life I have gotten is ~13 hours with moderate usage.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Galaxy Nexus CDMA/LTE

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 pm

My wife surprised me with one yesterday as an early birthday present, and I can't put the damn thing down. I went from a decent single-core phone in the Droid Charge to the Galaxy Nexus, and the jump in quality is much bigger than I expected. I'm about to flash the latest version of Codename Android, which is a 4.0.3 build. I'll report my findings when I get the chance.

DancinJack wrote:
The best battery life I have gotten is ~13 hours with moderate usage.
Which ROM/kernel gave you those numbers?
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 am

Dizik wrote:
My wife surprised me with one yesterday as an early birthday present, and I can't put the damn thing down. I went from a decent single-core phone in the Droid Charge to the Galaxy Nexus, and the jump in quality is much bigger than I expected. I'm about to flash the latest version of Codename Android, which is a 4.0.3 build. I'll report my findings when I get the chance.

DancinJack wrote:
The best battery life I have gotten is ~13 hours with moderate usage.
Which ROM/kernel gave you those numbers?

Right now I'm running AOKP (m3) with Franco.Kernel 13.1 nightly. I have his app installed to undervolt too. I think I'm running ~90% off stock voltage. I've also enabled hotplugging. I don't mind the phone being laggy for 2 seconds when I turn the screen back on so that is a non issue for me. I actually got about 20 hours out of a single charge the other day with these settings. Granted, that was only with about 1.5 hours of on screen time.

I really liked Codename while I was running it. Figured I'd give AOKP a try though since so many people were having luck with AOKP and Franco Kernel. This is my first LTE smartphone and while LTE does really destroy battery life, the speeds I have been able to get are out of control. If I remember correctly I've pulled down 45 down and 25 up with a latency of just 50-60ms before. That's faster than my Cox connection here at the house.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:49 am

I thought I'd post this since you mentioned undervolting. A guy on the XDA Developers forums recently did a pretty in-depth study regarding battery drain on his Nexus S and came up with some pretty surprising results. Even though the tests were done on the Nexus S, one can take an educated guess and say that there's a good chance you'll get similar results on other devices. In short, a lot of what you hear in regards to undervolting, governors, etc. might be nothing more than a placebo effect.

XDA Link
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Dizik wrote:
I thought I'd post this since you mentioned undervolting. A guy on the XDA Developers forums recently did a pretty in-depth study regarding battery drain on his Nexus S and came up with some pretty surprising results. Even though the tests were done on the Nexus S, one can take an educated guess and say that there's a good chance you'll get similar results on other devices. In short, a lot of what you hear in regards to undervolting, governors, etc. might be nothing more than a placebo effect.

XDA Link

FWIW, CM on my Nexus One offers a sort of battery history tool, and if I've been using the phone even an average amount, there's a great big long bar labeled "display" and a bunch of very short bars showing which apps have been hitting the processor. So that sounds about right.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:40 pm

I picked one up a couple weeks ago. So far, I'm still running stock ICS. That's going to have to change, methinks.

I've seen a couple recommended roms here. Any other suggestions?
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Jonsey
Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:05 pm

Turning off the LTE radio made a difference in battery life for me. I upgraded from an original Droid.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Darkmage wrote:
I picked one up a couple weeks ago. So far, I'm still running stock ICS. That's going to have to change, methinks.

Try any of these. I've not used AOKP yet, but DancinJack seems to like it and it looks really similar to Codename Android. Codename Android is what I'm using, and I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to anybody. There's also an unofficial Cyanogenmod 9 ROM, CM9 Kang, that's gaining popularity. There's also Revolution HD, but it's currently at 4.0.2, whereas the other ROMs are at least 4.0.3.

Jonsey wrote:
Turning off the LTE radio made a difference in battery life for me. I upgraded from an original Droid.
Whenever I'm not actively using data, I either toggle off LTE and use 3G only, or turn data off altogether. Keeping 3G on does help with battery life, though obviously not as much as turning data off entirely, but it sill allows you to get updates from email, Facebook, etc.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:34 am

Darkmage wrote:

Yeah, I'd suggest Codename Android, AOKP, and GummyNex. In no particular order. They're all good and pretty smiliar really.

I am in Boston now, and I rarely have LTE turned on unless I'm in a decent coverage area and really need it for streaming or downloading. I'm always on the subway/busses/inside buildings which cause my signal to go in and out all the time so only keeping 3G on most the day, and disabling data while I'm commuting works best for battery.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:03 am

The nightly builds of Cyanogenmod 9 have begun, so I would keep my eye on its development. As of right now, there's a lot of functionality found in other ROMs that aren't found in CM9. For me, switching right now isn't worth it, but it may be down the road.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:54 am

I just want to say thanks for the recommendation for Codename Android. I put it on a couple weeks ago and it's been going gangbusters ever since. I had maybe one hard lock since then but that's all. It also resolved some apps not working on my phone (my bank, mostly).

Now if I could only set the icons on the lock screen, I'd be set.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:59 am

I'm running the HTC Rezound - Still no ICS on the horizon so I rooted and debloated the phone completely. Not one spec of verizon garbage left - not frozen, gone. I use ROM Toolbox and Clockwork Recovery (sometimes Amon Ra Recovery) to make a jumping off point, restoring everything with a flash. I'm going to flash today. I already have a non-verizon approved tether app that words fantastically if you're rooted, so not paying for a mobile hotspot makes me happy too. Anything I can do to stick it to those greedy jerks. I also use my google voice account for all texting so I don't pay for that either.

My coworker has the Nexus and loves it. I think the Rezound is still the best screen out by far. The specs are pretty good too. Ultimately I think the software makes the phone.

http://www.scottsroms.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=105

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:37 am

Oh hey, that's a good point. I could ditch the SMS plan if I used Google Voice for all the text messages, right?

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:53 pm

Just noticed this...I must be blind.

I must be weird, too. I got the Nexus because I wanted stock android.

steelcity_ballin, have you seen the leaked official ICS build for the Rezound? I want to put it on my wife's Rezound but she's not game.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex