Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Looking for good closed-back headphones!

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:47 am

As the title says... I need a good pair of full sized closed-back cans for working out at the gym. I have tried ear buds and I HATE them. Both my Sennheisers are open air, so I can't use them at the volumes I like without being rude. I will be listening with my 5.5 gen Ipod or my Blackberry (depends on what's on me when I go), so I need low impedance. Budget, I'd say $150 tops.

Fire away! :)
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

kvndoom
Topic Author

Re: Looking for good closed-back headphones!

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:49 am

Oh... listening preferences- mostly chillout and electronic, and I prefer a flatter response, no emphasis on any part of the spectrum.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:44 am

kvndoom wrote:
I have tried ear buds and I HATE them.

Have you tried something like this:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/epcomp.html ?

As for closed circumaural headphones - I personally liked my old Sennheiser HD280 Pro set (which I somehow misplaced somewhere...), they were very comfortable (for my ears), relatively compact (when folded) and provided good sound isolation (I used to always use them for watching movies during long international flights).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:04 am

I have a pair of Etymotic buds. They do stay in your ears fairly well, but are not very comfortable for long listening sessions. I hvae a pair of mc5's and they're really pretty awesome except for the comfort. I haven't had the custom molds made, but I'm not really willing to spend that kind of money on molds when they cost about the same or more than the actual buds.

The 280pro set suggested is pretty good. I have a pair lying around here somewhere. Only thing I might not like about using them for working out is they're a little heavy maybe. That's not to say they're heavy, but maybe a little heavy for working out and moving quickly.

These are fairly big but meet your requirements I think. Pretty low impedence here too.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/aud ... th-m50.php

Like I said though the 280s are really good too.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

hiro_pro
Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:44 am

i run a few miles a day and i find that ear-buds will fall out every few yards. i like the in-ear stuff and i run the wire under my shirt to an arm band with my phone. it is a very stable rig. i use the UE triple-fi 10 ($175) which are great but may be overkill for your needs. i cannot imagine trying to keep a set of over the ear headphones on my head while i'm at the gym.

V-Moda makes some decent stuff. right now they are selling both in-ear monitors ($35) and over the ear closed headphones ($75) at Costco. both options have the mic and the push to talk button on the cord. for the money you will not find a better solution. both sound great. You are looking at well over $100 before you find a better solution.
i7-930, GA-X58A-UD3R, Crucial MX100 512GB, 2 TB WD Black *2 mirror, ATI 5850 1 GB, 12GB (3*4GB)
Nikon D600, Tamron 24-70 & 70-200 2.4 VC, Nikon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Sigma 35 1.4

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:45 am

The HD-280 Pros are nice but they're relatively high-impedance at 64Ω. You can go with lower-end HD-series cans, like HD-205.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

kvndoom
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 am

hiro_pro wrote:
i run a few miles a day and i find that ear-buds will fall out every few yards. i like the in-ear stuff and i run the wire under my shirt to an arm band with my phone. it is a very stable rig. i use the UE triple-fi 10 ($175) which are great but may be overkill for your needs. i cannot imagine trying to keep a set of over the ear headphones on my head while i'm at the gym.

V-Moda makes some decent stuff. right now they are selling both in-ear monitors ($35) and over the ear closed headphones ($75) at Costco. both options have the mic and the push to talk button on the cord. for the money you will not find a better solution. both sound great. You are looking at well over $100 before you find a better solution.

I'm gonna take off the beaten path and try the V-Moda's... I don't have a Costco account, but they're only $108 at Amazon. Except I want them in white, which is 30 bucks more... argh, they look so pretty in white though...