Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Macbook Air <> Ultrabook

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:07 am

Hi ,

Company was assigned a X220 to me but it was only for office use and i found it very restricted , so i though of get myself another laptop.

Was wonder shall i take MacbookAir or Ultrabook such as HP folio 13 ?? any advice ?

Typically that new laptop usage is = Watch Movie /Surfing / Prephoto processing (and sent to external HDD) ,Blogging , some not GPU heavy games such as angry bird maybe , i might carry this if i go for a trip to process and upload my photo-online if possible so the weight also is important.

any advice ?

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Macbook Air <> Ultrabook

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:06 am

If you want the best hardware, then Macbook, no contest. Whether you'll be comfortable using OSX is up to you to decide. But if you don't need Windows, then I'd recommend the Macbook Air.

ekul
Gerbil

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:03 pm

I love my macbook air. It fit in my work laptop bag. With my work laptop. Still in the box.

Once a laptop fits your size and battery life requirements the only 3 things that actually matter (at least to me) are keyboard, touchpad and screen.

Macbooks all have great keyboards and their touchpads are amazing. I can't ever go back to the tiny pieces of crap on other laptops that miss touches. They used to say Babe Ruth that needed to go play in a higher league becuase he was so much better than everyone. Apple is playing in another league when it comes to touchpads. It's not even close. I can't convey to people who don't use one of the glass touchpads daily how much better it really is. They are actually faster and more accurate than a mouse for most tasks. 4 finger gestures make application switching a breeze. It's just so nice to be able to use a computer so naturally and have it just get out of the way.

The screens on the air are nice and hgh res and the new full screen features of lion make it even easier to take advantage of the most space possible.

If you need to run windows you can (but you give up some of the best features:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/10/2787484/macbook-air-with-windows-7-review-the-ultrabook-to-rule-them-all

I used a number of ultrabooks before I bought my air and I have to say, I can't imagine why someone would buy anything else if they are looking for an ultraportable.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 pm

ekul wrote:
Macbooks all have great keyboards and their touchpads are amazing. I can't ever go back to the tiny pieces of crap on other laptops that miss touches. They used to say Babe Ruth that needed to go play in a higher league becuase he was so much better than everyone. Apple is playing in another league when it comes to touchpads. It's not even close. I can't convey to people who don't use one of the glass touchpads daily how much better it really is. They are actually faster and more accurate than a mouse for most tasks. 4 finger gestures make application switching a breeze. It's just so nice to be able to use a computer so naturally and have it just get out of the way.

I agree. I've used a bunch of touchpads on a bunch of differently branded PC laptops, and Apple is literally in a higher league all by themselves.

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:04 pm

I disagree. If you run OSX or linux get a macbook air. If you run windows, get a windows based ultrabook. Consider the SSD alone. On the air you have a 128gb SSD that now has to hold OSX and Win7. I'd recommend waiting till april as the ultrabook prices for todays models are expected to fall by about 200 dollars as ivy bridge models come out. If you had to buy today, you should take a look at the lenovo u300s, the asus ux31, and the samsung series 7 chronos as competition for the macbook air.

just my thoughts. Anand from anandtech said it best. I quote "you're a windows user with no interest in OS X, the Air just doesn't make sense - luckily you have many more ultra portables to choose from". http://www.anandtech.com/show/2445/23
i7 2600k @4.4 ghz 1.26v - GA-P67X-UD3 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz - Evga Geforce GTX 570 - 2x 120gb Vertex 3 Raid-0 - Seagate Barracude 1.5TB - Silverstone FT02- HP 2709M Monitor

Begabolia
Gerbil In Training

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:43 pm

It really depends on what you need in a laptop. If you dont know anything about the OS in Macbook air, get the ultrabook then.

ekul
Gerbil

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:07 am

Sunburn74 wrote:
I disagree. If you run OSX or linux get a macbook air. If you run windows, get a windows based ultrabook. Consider the SSD alone. On the air you have a 128gb SSD that now has to hold OSX and Win7. I'd recommend waiting till april as the ultrabook prices for todays models are expected to fall by about 200 dollars as ivy bridge models come out. If you had to buy today, you should take a look at the lenovo u300s, the asus ux31, and the samsung series 7 chronos as competition for the macbook air.

just my thoughts. Anand from anandtech said it best. I quote "you're a windows user with no interest in OS X, the Air just doesn't make sense - luckily you have many more ultra portables to choose from". http://www.anandtech.com/show/2445/23

I've used most of those other ultra portables and after using the air they are all unusable in one way or another. Crappy keyboards, awful touchpads, stupid layouts. They all sucked in one way or another. If I spend a grand on a laptop when a functional portable computer can be had for under 500 it had better be awesome. Horrible touchpads and low quality hinges just don't cut it.

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:43 am

I can't comment on any of the ultrabooks havent not used them. However I find the whole touchpad thing highly overrated. My current laptop is an HP envy 14. In most reviews it was absolutely ripped on the touchpad. However, I love my HP envy touchpad. In fact, I prefer it to my 70 dollar logitech mice. Honestly, touchpads take time to get used to. You can't just use one for 10 mins and say its lousy. Tweak some settings, get comfortable with it and see what happens.

The same with my asus ul30vt. Whilst not as nice a touchpad as my hp envy, the laptop itself was still a joy to use and one of the best purchases I ever made.
i7 2600k @4.4 ghz 1.26v - GA-P67X-UD3 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz - Evga Geforce GTX 570 - 2x 120gb Vertex 3 Raid-0 - Seagate Barracude 1.5TB - Silverstone FT02- HP 2709M Monitor

Pancake
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:52 am

mghong wrote:
Hi ,
Typically that new laptop usage is = Watch Movie /Surfing / Prephoto processing (and sent to external HDD) ,Blogging , some not GPU heavy games such as angry bird maybe , i might carry this if i go for a trip to process and upload my photo-online if possible so the weight also is important.

If that's all you're using it for why not consider a netbook? One of the fancier ones with 1366x768 res, C-50 processor and 2GB RAM would be more than enough to do everything you need. And you'll love the tiny form factor whether you're lying on the couch or squeezed in economy class on a plane. And probably better battery runtime than any of the current ultraportables. I've set my netbook up for Eclipse development when traveling and it performs very well. I have an ultraportable but hardly ever use it. With a 12" screen it's just too big.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Sunburn74 wrote:
I can't comment on any of the ultrabooks havent not used them. However I find the whole touchpad thing highly overrated. My current laptop is an HP envy 14. In most reviews it was absolutely ripped on the touchpad. However, I love my HP envy touchpad. In fact, I prefer it to my 70 dollar logitech mice. Honestly, touchpads take time to get used to. You can't just use one for 10 mins and say its lousy. Tweak some settings, get comfortable with it and see what happens.

The same with my asus ul30vt. Whilst not as nice a touchpad as my hp envy, the laptop itself was still a joy to use and one of the best purchases I ever made.

It's not just tweaking some settings. Have you tried a MacBook glass touchpad, and taken some time to get used to it?

There are two primary reasons its in an entirely different league:

Feel: it's glass, like an iPhone/Android screen, which means it's smoother than any non-glass touchpad. You don't actually have to press on it, unlike all the other touchpads that require at least a slight amount of pressure. Think of it as an iPhone screen without the screen.

Gestures: Apple has this down like nobody else. After using two-finger drag to scroll up and down a page, the wheel on my mouse feels downright clunky, and it's a great mouse. It honestly feels unnatural doing it with the mouse now that I'm used to the two finger drag scrolling. Swiping left and right to change pages. Three and four finger gestures to change windows and apps. Who needs alt-tab (or command-tab as it is on the Mac) when you can just swipe?

I'm not some neophyte. I've been using PC "laptops" since the Kaypro and Compaq suitcase models. Nobody else makes a touchpad that works as naturally as Apple.

Now, it's a valid point to argue how much that's worth. And you could also make the case that other manufactures could make a touchpad just as well (so why don't they?) But I believe it's a pretty open and shut case at this point that every other touchpad is, at best, adequate.

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:54 pm

I love my macbook air. Using any windows laptop I've come across since has been infuriating :)

If you can afford it, do it, you won't regret it.
Oh, and you dont need to put windows on it. That was my plan initially, but as a second machine, OS X has been perfect. And as far as storage goes, I have a 1TB samsung portable drive that slips into the level 8 case pocket, if I ever need to take music or movies with me.

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Just a reminder: Windows works great on the Macbook Air as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/10/27874 ... e-them-all
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Another +1 for the trackpad on the MacBook Air. It is just fantastic.

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Average battery life takes a 2 hour hit with windows, going from about 6 hours to 4hrs. Also you need to dedicate space to OSX and then install windows on top of it.

Concerning the touchpad issue, honestly I've used the touchpad on a macbook 13. It was ok. I wasn't blown away, but honestly its because I don't use a ton of touchpad features other than one finger scrolling. I really didn't notice a difference. Also when I think theoretically, if I could pay 200 dollars to upgrade my current HP envy 14 to the perfect theoretical trackpad, would I do it? No way. I could never justify it.

if the perfect theoretical touchpad is worth 200-250 dollars to you and a large battery life hit, go for it. To me, its not worth it and I honestly don't really believe apple has the perfect touchpad.

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Not that I've ever owned a Mac, but buying a laptop purely for its touchpad ( especially one with a markup like the Macbook Air) seems...silly.

It'd be like buying a car because it has an amazing turn signal lever or something. Yeah, it's something you use all the time, but should it really be the turning point in deciding your purchase? Especially if you (like me) use an external mouse much of the time.

Purchase price, software compatiblity, battery life, etc, should be more important factors, imho.

End User

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:13 pm

EsotericLord wrote:
It'd be like buying a car because it has an amazing turn signal lever or something.

Turn signal lever! I'd elevate it to the level of transmission at the very least. A crap transmission will ruin a car. A crap trackpad will ruin a laptop.

EsotericLord wrote:
Yeah, it's something you use all the time, but should it really be the turning point in deciding your purchase?

Yes.

EsotericLord wrote:
Especially if you (like me) use an external mouse much of the time.

That is because you have a crap trackpad.

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:18 pm

End User wrote:
EsotericLord wrote:
It'd be like buying a car because it has an amazing turn signal lever or something.

Turn signal lever! I'd elevate it to the level of transmission at the very least. A crap transmission will ruin a car. A crap trackpad will ruin a laptop.

EsotericLord wrote:
Yeah, it's something you use all the time, but should it really be the turning point in deciding your purchase?

Yes.

EsotericLord wrote:
Especially if you (like me) use an external mouse much of the time.

That is because you have a crap trackpad.

You can't speak for every human being who has ever bought a laptop. In my case it's because of how I use my laptop.

No touchpad, no matter how good, can replace the functionality of my 17 button mouse. My trackpad is more than fine for my occasional usage of it for web browsing

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:29 pm

EsotericLord wrote:
[No touchpad, no matter how good, can replace the functionality of my 17 button mouse. My trackpad is more than fine for my occasional usage of it for web browsing

Touchpad and heavy Exceling just don't mesh.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

End User

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:01 pm

EsotericLord wrote:
No touchpad, no matter how good, can replace the functionality of my 17 button mouse.

Which mouse is that?

End User

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

We are talking about small/lightweight/mobile laptops.

When I am mobile I do not need to waste time looking for a table big enough to fit a mouse when I need to get work done.

What are you doing in Excel that requires a mouse?
Last edited by End User on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
EsotericLord wrote:
[No touchpad, no matter how good, can replace the functionality of my 17 button mouse. My trackpad is more than fine for my occasional usage of it for web browsing

Mouse and heavy exceling doesn't mesh either. If you want to be quick and efficient in excel, it is best to learn the keyboard shortcuts and ONLY use that.

EsotericLord wrote:
No touchpad, no matter how good, can replace the functionality of my 17 button mouse. My trackpad is more than fine for my occasional usage of it for web browsing

You can keep your ridiculous 17 button mouse. Ill take the speed and efficiency of a trackpad with gestures AND OSX keyboard shortcuts any day over your 17 button mouse and Windows keyboard shortcuts (which from my personal experience are subpar and virtually nonexistent compared to OSX).
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:44 pm

End User wrote:
EsotericLord wrote:
No touchpad, no matter how good, can replace the functionality of my 17 button mouse.

Which mouse is that?

Razer Naga.

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Jive wrote:
You can keep your ridiculous 17 button mouse. Ill take the speed and efficiency of a trackpad with gestures AND OSX keyboard shortcuts any day over your 17 button mouse and Windows keyboard shortcuts (which from my personal experience are subpar and virtually nonexistent compared to OSX).

Yeah but thats the whole point. if you're someone who uses windows, what do you care about OSX amazing shortcuts and special trackpad movements? I'm not going to argue with you over which OS is better (I think market preferences answer that question quite well). I'm just saying the air was designed for a certain OS, and its faulty reasoning to say that its equally awesome regardless of the OS the user finally decides to use.

If you want to use OSX, there is one ultrabook for you. If you want to use windows, the air is still serviceable, but has serious concerns to me, better trackpad or not.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:16 pm

The touchpad on the MacBooks is terrific. I haven't used another touchpad that was near as smooth and accurate as Apple's. OS X annoys me to no end, but the quality of my MacBook's touchpad and keyboard keep me with it. It hurts to say it, after years of hating Apple, but the hardware is superior.

I'm still a PC guy at heart, but I think my next portable is gonna be a MacBook Air.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend the MacBook Air if using OS X won't be a problem.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

End User

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:41 am

Sunburn74 wrote:
If you want to use OSX, there is one ultrabook for you. If you want to use windows, the air is still serviceable, but has serious concerns to me, better trackpad or not.

The OP did not mention Windows 7 on the MBA. If the OP wants to use Windows 7 as the primary OS then the MBA is not the best option (battery life being the primary problem).

End User

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:44 am

EsotericLord wrote:
End User wrote:
EsotericLord wrote:

Which mouse is that?

Razer Naga.

If you want to get your MMO fix then that is the input device to use.

I love my R.A.T. 9 but I can do without it when I use my MacBook Air:

hiro_pro
Gerbil

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:53 am

i hate to be that person but when will apple refresh its lineup for the mac air?

my wife is going back to college and has fallen victim to the cult of apple (and yoga and starbucks and anything else that is trendy and costs more). i figured it was cheaper to get her a new lighter laptop than try to get her help/therapy. she is currently carrying around a lenovo t61 with an extended battery along with text books and her backpack is starting to weigh as much as her.

and just to clarify i am looking for advice on a mac, not marriage...
i7-930, GA-X58A-UD3R, Crucial MX100 512GB, 2 TB WD Black *2 mirror, ATI 5850 1 GB, 12GB (3*4GB)
Nikon D600, Tamron 24-70 & 70-200 2.4 VC, Nikon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Sigma 35 1.4

End User

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:03 pm

hiro_pro wrote:
i hate to be that person but when will apple refresh its lineup for the mac air?

No firm refresh date. Ivy Bridge refresh may be in the cards by late spring.

The current gen MBA is a sweet laptop. I recommend it if you can't wait. The 13" offers a nice bump in battery life over the 11".

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Air

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 pm

My guess is after summer, but that's only based on previous release dates.

(From wiki) Early 2008 - Late 2008 - Mid 2009 - Late 2010 - Mid 2011 -> Late 2012 I guess