Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

R.O.O.T.
Gerbil
Topic Author

SN41G2 questions

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:43 am

I'm not really sure if this thread should be in the "SFF Station" but anyway...
I just put together my first cube (an SN41G2) for my girlfriend w/ these specs:

-Athlon XP 1700
-(2x256Mb) Corsair Value Select PC2700
-Using onboard video
-46Gb IBM Deskstar
-LiteOn Combo Drive 48x24x48x16
-Win2k

The installation went as smooth as desired, no problems what-so-ever. I got everything updated and all was well... then I tried to raise the FSB from 200 to 266; it started, but crashed when I tried to play a DVD. I haven't really tweaked anything else in the BIOS, but shouldn't it be able to run at at least 266Mhz? Is the memory holding it back? Or is it the onboard video? Can I adjust anything else in the BIOS to get it to run at stock speed? BTW, I'm cooling the CPU w/ Shuttle's stock cooler.

CPU-Z:
Core Speed - 1094.1 MHz
Multiplier - x 11.0
FSB - 99.5 MHz

What should I do? Thanks.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously. -Noam Chomsky

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:19 am

You're in the right place and you are right that proc should do just fine at 266FSB since that's what it's rated for. The memory should do fine at 333FSB so you're definitely not stressing that. It's wierd. Have you tried running with one stick and does it make a difference? You have entered the wonderful world of troubleshooting. Enjoy...
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

R.O.O.T.
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:10 pm

Ok, so I tested each stick individually and both booted fine at 266 FSB. It also booted fine w/ both sticks in at 266 FSB. I tested it w/ SiSoftware Sandra using the CPU Arithmetic Benchmark, the Memory Bandwidth Benchmark, and the Cache & Memory Benchmark. It was stable through all the tests. Everything is running fine now, but when I try and play a DVD, it crashes. I'm pretty sure there's only 32Mb of memory dedicated to the onboard video (if that's default). I'll probably spring for a cheap, low-end video card for her if I can't get this worked out. I know there are tons of threads on the newer, high to mid-range cards, but what do you recommend for someone who isn't going to be gaming at all? Something inexpensive, won't be overclocked, preferably have TV-out, but something that is of good quality and won't crap out in a few months. Thanks.

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:08 pm

Hey R.O.O.T

Go into the device manager and click on the properties for the Secondary IDE controller (which your DVD drive resides on). Check the mode it is running (DMA mode most likely). If it is running DMA, switch to PIO mode and re-try running your DVD. Some DVD ROM drives don't play nice if they are in DMA mode and will do this. I experienced this same problem with my Lite-On DVD/CDRW combo drive in an SN45G.

Hope this helps,

-E

R.O.O.T.
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:10 pm

I installed some different DVD software (was using PowerDVD that came w/ the drive, now using WinDVD 5) and it works like a charm. I'm still going to get a new video card for her, so any suggestions would be helpful.
The only annoyance now is I'm getting artifacts on the desktop. Not all the time, and they go away if I open up a window over it. It doesn't happen in any programs, just the desktop. Any ideas? Thanks.

R.O.O.T.
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:16 pm

It says Device 0 is currently running in PIO Mode. There is an option for "DMA if available" but everything seems to be ok now. Should I try it in DMA mode or just leave it? What's the difference?

superchump
Gerbil

Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:36 pm

Definately change it to DMA mode (its in PIO by default, I had to change it too). It will ask you to restart your computer. Do it. Then try your DVD playing again at 266. Make sure you have the latest version of your dvd software.
Who is The Drizzle?

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:45 pm

Well, you said she doesn't game, but I'd still get at least an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro board so you/she will have excellent 2d quality when viewing your DVD's. They can be had for $51 online for the 64Mb version. Its a nice card with TV out option and its a great little card which doesn't dissipate too much heat in the shuttle case.

We won't even get started with the ATI vs. Nvidia vs. ? since gaming is not an issue :)

-E

R.O.O.T.
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:06 pm

Last night I tried to watch a home video clip of my sister's new pit bull puppy and every time Windows Media Player started, it would immediately give me a BSOD - "Beginning Physical Memory Dump" or something like that. I had the same problem w/ my old computer, but I really have no idea what is causing it. [Could a hard drive cause something like this? She has my old one that was in the comp that was getting this same BSOD.] So today I ordered an MSI FX5200-VTD128. I went w/ this one because of TV-in & TV-out capabilities, a 2-digit price tag, and the extensive bundle included w/ the card. I'll let you know if any of the problems continue.

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:36 pm

Hey R.O.O.T. It should say what device driver caused it to BSOD. Check when it dumps the first and second line of the error. It usually points to a .sys file.

You can also open up your event viewer and click on system events to see if the event viewer caught what "state" the machine was in before the dump. Let me know and post back so we can deturmine root cause. (hehe, he said R.O.O.T. cause ;) )

-E

R.O.O.T.
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:24 pm

Ok, so every time I try and play this video in Windows Media Player, this BSOD flashes for about a second and then the computer restarts (BTW, everything is up to date: drivers, critical updates, etc.). Here's what the event viewer has logged:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Mouclass
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9
Date: 9/23/2003
Time: 10:41:47 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DANA
Description:
Could not enable interrupts on connected port device \Device\PointerClass0.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
0008: 00 00 00 00 09 00 05 c0 .......À
0010: 98 4e 00 00 03 01 00 c0 ˜N.....À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

This error is logged just about every time I get the BSOD. The next one is also logged every time it crashes:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event ID: 1001
Date: 9/23/2003
Time: 11:08:59 PM
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0x84008400, 0x00000001, 0xbfeee699, 0x00000002). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini092303-03.dmp.

So does this mean anything to anyone? Cause it's gibberish to me. Any help is much appreciated. I might go over to Best Buy tomorrow and pick up a new hard drive for her.
-->[Western Digital 80Gb 7200 RPM 8Mb Cache - $60 after $50 in rebates.]<--

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:48 pm

Well, you are getting an Event 9 according to the error, but it is pointing to a null pointer? Wierd. Do you happen to have any firewall program running at the time? Such as Blick Ice defender or Zone Alert? If so try disabling that.

The pointer looks as if it is pointing to some sort of network hook that isn't happening when it is. So, if you aren't running any firewall program and are hooked up via DSL or cable, try disconnecting the cable before running it. If this works, I think you might have a problem with your network service manager.

Or,

Do you happen to have an optical mouse attached via the usb port? If so, disable in the BIOS the PS/2 Auto function so that it will assign (kinda) an interupt for your mouse. Other than that, I am out of suggestions.

BTW, an event9 signifies a timeout when a request sense was sent. It is usually associated with a controller issue such as an IDE or SCSI timeout. But for some reason, the pointer is at a different location then what I'm used to seeing

Regards,

-E

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:54 pm

Ah, check this out:

Source mouclass
Type Error
Description Could not enable interrupts on connected port device \Device\PointerClass0. Data: 0000..
Comments Adrian Grigorof
From newsgroup postings: "Tt may be that the motherboard does not manage the PS2 port properly. See if there any problems reported by the Device Manager. You may also consider obtaining the latest firmware for your motherboard."

Jim White
"You are using a serial mouse instead of a PS/2-style mouse" = Q164403
Our Approach This information is only available to subscribers. An example of "approach" is available here.
Links Q164403
Send comments - Notify me when updated!

Looks like I was on the right track with the mouse or keyboard possibly?
Pulled from EventID.net :http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=9&source=
-E

R.O.O.T.
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:49 am

Thanks for all the suggestions and helping out, mstrmold. I really appreciate it. I did have Zone Alarm Pro running every time it crashed, but I'm probably going to take it off. I don't think she really needs a firewall. I'm going to update the BIOS tonight and turn of the PS/2 Auto function. Do you think it would make a difference if I hooked up the mouse (Microsoft Optical Blue) via the USB to PS/2 adapter?

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:19 pm

Not really.

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:45 pm

Really? Hmm, good job silver_bullet ;)

According to your log info, you can try to switch to USB legacy mode in the BIOS as the device pointer might cause a null pointer return value (goes to look for an IRQ but USB is assiging an address for the pointer). I'd still suspect Zone Alarm first, but updating your BIOS isn't a bad thing to do :)

-E

R.O.O.T.
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:15 pm

Today I reinstalled Windows on the new hard drive, updated everything (this time I used the driver updates from Shuttle's site instead of nVidia's), tried to play a video clip and it crashed again. This time it didn't flash a BSOD though; It just restarted. There was no error in the Event Viewer, only this:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event ID: 1001
Date: 9/26/2003
Time: 12:07:25 AM
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x00000008, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xbfba30c4). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini092603-01.dmp.

Is it better to use drivers from Shuttle's site as apposed to nVidia's site? I'm all out of ideas. I guess I'll just have to wait 'til I get the new video card to see if that helps.

R.O.O.T.
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:34 am

I tried playing a few different video clips tonight. One of them actually worked! The only difference is it's like 4 min 30 sec and the others were like 5 min 40 sec and 8 min long. I think this just confuses me more.

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:30 am

Maybe you don't have a codec for them or something.

R.O.O.T.
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:38 am

The thing is, in every instance that the system crashed, the video clip played for at least 8 seconds before shutting down.

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:40 am

Do me a favor, get a copy of Memtest86 which is free, just do a Google search. Run it by booting to DOS and running it for 10 minutes. Let me know if it passes without error. For some reason or another, it looks as if there is some sort of memory error, but I couldn't begin to tell you as that info is in the .dmp (minidump found in your Winnt\minidump directory). Even then, I'd have to run a debugger version of Win2k which I don't currently have setup :(.

BTW, you aren't overclocking the system, right? no advance memory timings that could be causing an error? Just curious. Also, just for grins and giggles, either run your BIOS in USB Legacy mode, or, plug your optical mouse into the PS2 port via the adapter. Not 100% sure that we've strayed too far from the original problem you had before formatting your drive and starting from scratch. Everything looks to be pointing to some sort of hardware error.

-E

R.O.O.T.
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:59 pm

I got the new MSI GeForce FX5200 VTD128 installed tonight; everything is running great now. It plays all of the video clips that were causing it to crash before without any problems. I'll still get Memtest86 and run the test for a bit just to make sure, but I think everything is fine now. Thanks for all the help mstrmold!!

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:12 am

No problem R.O.O.T. Yup, its still a good idea to run memtest on that and make sure the problem hasn't masked itself. That, and you can put any lingering issues to bed ;) .

-E