Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: Is Ubuntu 11.10 worse than 10.04 LTS, or should I switch

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:02 pm

PenGun wrote:
The main part of any *nix is the OS. The ability to get it, usually quite easily, to do anything you might want has little to do with the GUI.

For servers yes, but once you want a development PC with OpenOffice, FireFox, IM, IDE, Debugger, multiple terminals, multiple Nautilus windows, gedit, calendar. You soon understand that effective GUI is very important.

This is why Unity is so bad IMHO.

If you're a teen that only lives on facebook/google+/youtube, it's fine, because you don't use GUI at all, but as soon as you have 6+ different apps in your workflow, Unity is done, it's clumsy, and gets in a way.

Even more so, the idea of putting the quick access bar on side of the screen that's over 2000pix wide, with an auto-hide... Every time I can't use an alt+tab, I feel how I have to travel miles with the mouse cursor, wait a second till it appears, scan which icon I need, if it's not stacked. And only then I can switch to a target window.

It's actually easier to do Alt+Tab 10x, which never happens in Windows. I got to admit, I still prefer the taskbar + small icons of W7 over Ubuntu 10.04 with Gnome.

Kde had some issues with font aliasing, and gadgety things were floating up all the time, but kubuntu is probably next thing I'll use if Unity is not stripped from the Ubuntu.

just brew it! wrote:
For day-to-day desktop usage, or as a host to run VMs to try out other distros/OSes, it's hard to beat IMO.

One word... TRIM

The only reason why I was considering 11.10 versions. Running natively on an SSD drive would benefit from "discard" feature through fstab.

ultima_trev wrote:
You can switch to the classic desktop on the login screen. The small gear icon adjacent to the username gives you interface options, just switch to Ubuntu 2D to revert to metacity rather than Unity.

Not in 11.10... :(
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

codedivine
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:36 am

OP did you get your flash issues resolved? If not, then I suggest you go to the following site: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
Choose "Linux 64-bit" then "Flash player for other linux (.tar.gz). Download the tar.gz and extract it to get something like libflashplayer.so.
Place this shared library file in: ~/.mozilla/plugins (if the directory doesn't exist, create it).
This has worked for me on every amd64 machine so far.

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:39 am

Madman wrote:

It's actually easier to do Alt+Tab 10x, which never happens in Windows. I got to admit, I still prefer the taskbar + small icons of W7 over Ubuntu 10.04 with Gnome.

Kde had some issues with font aliasing, and gadgety things were floating up all the time, but kubuntu is probably next thing I'll use if Unity is not stripped from the Ubuntu.

I've got my openSUSE VM set up like this. My openSUSE desktop (currently not at college with me) is set up with the taskbar + small icon look. KDE let's me make it look like Windows, which is good because that's what I'm used to, but it also lets me configure it so much more to my liking. Like easily changing what's stuck to the bar at the bottom, giving me multiple desktops, letting the bar scale to any size. I also have a lot more control over color scheme and power options than in Windows. I can't say I've run into those issues you mention about KDE with openSUSE, but I have had some issues with multiple monitors. That was about a year ago and I would be a little surprised if it hadn't been addressed in a newer release.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:10 am

codedivine wrote:
OP did you get your flash issues resolved? If not, then I suggest you go to the following site: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
Choose "Linux 64-bit" then "Flash player for other linux (.tar.gz). Download the tar.gz and extract it to get something like libflashplayer.so.
Place this shared library file in: ~/.mozilla/plugins (if the directory doesn't exist, create it).
This has worked for me on every amd64 machine so far.

Or put it in /opt/google/chrome/plugins (requires root privilege) if you're running Chrome...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:43 am

PenGun wrote:
It's pointless to upgrade a *nix that is working well for you.
You need to upgrade when a version stops getting security updates. Also 3rd party software may not support older versions of an OS.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:27 am

notfred wrote:
PenGun wrote:
It's pointless to upgrade a *nix that is working well for you.

You need to upgrade when a version stops getting security updates. Also 3rd party software may not support older versions of an OS.

In general, I agree. However, there are cases where running an outdated distro may be necessary. If the box isn't exposed to the Internet, or is only used within a VM, lack of security updates isn't the end of the world.

I keep an old, unsupported version (9.10 "Karmic") of Ubuntu in a VM because the Linux version of Amazon's MP3 downloader (which you need to use if you buy entire albums from their MP3 store) doesn't work on newer versions.

End User

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Madman wrote:
For servers yes, but once you want a development PC with OpenOffice, FireFox, IM, IDE, Debugger, multiple terminals, multiple Nautilus windows, gedit, calendar. You soon understand that effective GUI is very important.

This is why Unity is so bad IMHO.

If you're a teen that only lives on facebook/google+/youtube, it's fine, because you don't use GUI at all, but as soon as you have 6+ different apps in your workflow, Unity is done, it's clumsy, and gets in a way.

I find window/app management in Unity to be good. It certainly is better than Windows 7. Not as good as Lion.

Madman wrote:
Even more so, the idea of putting the quick access bar on side of the screen that's over 2000pix wide, with an auto-hide... Every time I can't use an alt+tab, I feel how I have to travel miles with the mouse cursor, wait a second till it appears, scan which icon I need, if it's not stacked. And only then I can switch to a target window.

I guess my mouse/trackpad tracking is way faster than yours because I have no issues on a single 2560 wide display nor on my 3840 wide dual display setup.

bryanl
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:58 pm

re: "For servers yes, but once you want a development PC with OpenOffice, FireFox, IM, IDE, Debugger, multiple terminals, multiple Nautilus windows, gedit, calendar. You soon understand that effective GUI is very important." -- The thing is, once you are running an app, then the desktop is out of the picture. The desktop is not the GUI.

That brings up the question about just what a desktop, like Unity, is and what it is supposed to do. Some of the things that I have seen discussed include find and launch applications, switch between applications and workspaces, status messaging, and things that belong in the category of 'getting out of the way'

re: "This is why Unity is so bad IMHO" -- there is a difference between judging something as "bad" and not liking something. That gets into the problem of trying to identify just what it is that is not liked. The risk there is that when you identify just what it is you don't like, the nature of the preference becomes visible and that can be embarrassing.
Bryan

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:03 pm

bryanl wrote:
The thing is, once you are running an app, then the desktop is out of the picture. The desktop is not the GUI.

This doesn't apply equally to everyone. Some people multi-task heavily, or have workflows that involve the use of multiple apps. How the desktop helps organize and tie everything together matters a lot more to these people.

Anarchist
Gerbil

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:10 pm

In my case when ubuntu first released distro with unity I moved to mint for 2 reasons;

1) unity was still not stable
2) I wanted distro with latest updates for sandy-bridge

however now unity seem pretty stable. Personally I see no reason to hate unity ... but it's probably wouldn't hurt if ubuntu made unity more customizable.

rogersarchiro
Gerbil In Training

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:46 pm

I converted an older Dell Latitude D600 from Windows 7 to Linux.
My first stab was with Kubuntu 11.10 - the test was great - install was smooth. However, once rebooted Kubuntu did not recognize the touchpad and I could not use the mouse.

Next I installed Ubuntu 11.10 - everything went great and all laptop hardware functions well. The GUI is not as "pretty" as Kubuntu but it is sufficient and most of the Windows keyboard and click shortcuts work as expected.

I'm happy with Ubuntu 11.10
Roger
By day Rogers is a meek and mild chiropractor in Rogers, AR.
At night he transforms into web man seeking friends and family websites
to hack.

Corrado

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:17 pm

I tried Mint, Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I stayed with Kubuntu. Theres a few things I don't like about it, but generally it works well and does the basic desktop functions I want.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:44 am

Corrado wrote:
I tried Mint, Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I stayed with Kubuntu.

Same. I stayed with Ubuntu. The rest are copy-cats anyways.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:19 pm

thegleek wrote:
Corrado wrote:

...and Ubuntu is really just a fork of Debian with some tweaks that make it more suitable for desktop deployment out-of-box, and the option of paid support.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:
thegleek wrote:
Corrado wrote:

...and Ubuntu is really just a fork of Debian with some tweaks that make it more suitable for desktop deployment out-of-box, and the option of paid support.

Oh yeah.. Which is why before Ubuntu even existed, I was always a die-hard Debian fan... What did that fork off from?

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:13 pm

bthylafh wrote:

Yeah ok... But this actually better explains it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#1993.E2.80.931998