Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:14 am

just brew it! wrote:
IIRC Reflections From The Firepool is actually older than any of the other albums listed; 2000 must be a re-release date (I believe it was out of print for a number of years).

1989 according to my copy, and their third release after No Commercial Potential and The Ritual Continues.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
IIRC Reflections From The Firepool is actually older than any of the other albums listed; 2000 must be a re-release date (I believe it was out of print for a number of years).

1989 according to my copy, and their third release after No Commercial Potential and The Ritual Continues.

Yeah, it's a little difficult for me to check the CD jewel case on mine, since the physical CD is currently stashed in a box in the crawlspace. Since the majority of my music listening is either in the car or at the computer these days, figuring out a way to have my entire physical CD collection organized and accessible is not high on the priority list. New CDs are immediately ripped to FLAC, then typically sit in a pile in my office for a few months until they get migrated to "remote storage" (a.k.a. the crawlspace).

I'm sure a quick Wikipedia search could've answered it though...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I'm sure a quick Wikipedia search could've answered it though...

I fixed it, you were both correct. 1989, not 2000. Wiki is my 2nd choice for music discographies... My first resource was: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Djam+Karet

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:28 am

Wayne Krantz - Long To Be Loose

Funky and jazzy. Krantz is one of the best guitarists you probably never heard of... he's got a unique style of playing that I find difficult to describe in words. I've not found anything else like this album (it was released in 1995), and it remains one of my all-time favorites.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:50 am

Music Thread!

The Seatbelts - The Egg and I
The Seatbelts - Digging My Potato (that's Ryuichiro "Weeping Harp" Senoh on harmonica for the curious)
Buckethead - Sled Ride (this whole album is similarly-great)
Bluetech - Koinonea (some thumpy bass-heavy ambient/downtempo/chill)
Super Furry Animals - Golden Retriever (cliched psyrock at its best)
Caravan Palace - Star Scat (electroswing — give it a chance! here's the music vid for their hit Jolie Coquine)
Blue Satellite - Paris (Extended Mix) (funky house, free legit download)
The Turtles - Buzzsaw ("buzzzssaaaaaaaaaww. oooooo" some crazy-silly keyboard action here)

Obv, buy that stuff if you like it.

If you have a worthwhile surround sound audio setup I suggest buying something from iTrax (AIX Records' surround sound music store). You'll be disappointed that more music isn't isn't available in proper surround sound. The guys there get a bit pedantic about what is and isn't "high definition music" (as if there is some concrete definition of an ever-vague marketing term) but their stuff is all well-produced. My favorite album they put out is probably Odd Men In from the Emil Richards & Joe Porcaro All Star Big Band. But there's a lot of stuff there now.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 am

Jambe wrote:
Buckethead - Sled Ride (this whole album is similarly-great)

I've been filling in the holes in my Buckethead collection lately; thanks for the heads-up on this one. He's been releasing things at a ridiculous pace lately, how the heck am I supposed to keep up? :lol:

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:25 am

You're welcome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead

The guy is prodigious but he's also extremely varied — on one of his albums, I can't recall which but it was one of the more trad guitar ones — there was a song that had a huge classical Spanish guitar vibe to it. And of he does everything from that to technical metal to shredding to those intricate effects-laden things like "Jordan".

... some kind of wizard.

Just looked, and the song I'm referring to is called Sketches of Spain (for Miles) from the album Electric Tears. The album I mentioned is more like Electric Tears — slow, thoughtful, seemingly influenced by classical and fingerstyle — than any of his other stuff that I've heard.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:05 am

Jambe wrote:
The guy is prodigious but he's also extremely varied — on one of his albums, I can't recall which but it was one of the more trad guitar ones — there was a song that had a huge classical Spanish guitar vibe to it. And of he does everything from that to technical metal to shredding to those intricate effects-laden things like "Jordan".

Yup, he's all over the map stylistically. Colma is another one that showcases his mellower side.

A terrific (and somewhat obscure, I guess...) album where he plays all acoustic is Octave of the Holy Innocents; this is one of my favorites (and one of the albums that originally got me interested in Buckethead). (Tangent: If you're not already familiar with him, check out some of Jonas Hellborg's solo projects too -- he's the bass player on this album, and one of my all-time favorite bassists.)

And then there's the whacked-out stuff he did with Praxis.

And the Death Cube K ambient projects, which quite honestly don't do much for me...

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:42 am

Off a suggestion from that Everything is Remixed series, I picked up this album:

Gabriel O Pensador - "Quebra Cabeça" from 1996. Discogs at: http://preview.tinyurl.com/7mmqp4z

The song that's mentioned in that Remixed series was track #2, "2345meia78".

MTV video on Youtube @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYTaKTlVPXE

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Kommienezuspadt! Kommienezuspadt! Sei punktlich...

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:18 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
Kommienezuspadt! Kommienezuspadt! Sei punktlich...

http://www.discogs.com/Tom-Waits-Alice/master/14227 :P

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:59 pm

The first of his songs I ever heard was "I'll Be Gone" off Frank's Wild Years, and I've been a Tom Waits shill ever since.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:01 pm

Dark Horses by Switchfoot. Love those guys.
Twitter: @xmunos

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:04 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
The first of his songs I ever heard was "I'll Be Gone" off Frank's Wild Years, and I've been a Tom Waits shill ever since.

Thanks for the suggestions! Good tune indeed!

b_naresh
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:20 pm

Locked Out - Crowded House(Reality Bites OST)

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:30 pm

b_naresh wrote:
Locked Out - Crowded House(Reality Bites OST)

HEY YOU! Yo may be listening to that crap, whilest I am listening to this jam:

Tigerstyle - Nachna Onda Nei (related video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SpyIXwPoGA )

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Got every Streetlight Manifesto song evar on shuffle.

... aww man. I just realized that I don't have all of 1234 1234. It just cuts out at a certain point. :(
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:02 pm

The damned squirrel running around in my attic.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

montiac
Gerbil

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Life Without You
"Civilization begins with distillation"
-William Faulkner

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:15 pm

montiac wrote:

Sounds like a song when someone close to you passes away...

ALiLPinkMonster wrote:
Got every Streetlight Manifesto song evar on shuffle.

... aww man. I just realized that I don't have all of 1234 1234. It just cuts out at a certain point. :(

So as the discography goes for Streetlight Manifesto:

2012: Ship of Fools
2010: 99 Songs of Revolutions: Volume 1
2007: Somewhere in the Between
2006: Keasbey Nights
14. "1234 1234" 7:10 * At the end of this song there is an interview conducted by computer voices explaining why the album was made, instead of the shout-outs present on the 1998 recording.
2003: Everything Goes Numb
2002: Demo EP

And no one has "Ship of Fools" yet cuz it won't be released until this summer.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:29 pm

thegleek wrote:
So as the discography goes for Streetlight Manifesto:

2012: Ship of Fools
2010: 99 Songs of Revolutions: Volume 1
2007: Somewhere in the Between
2006: Keasbey Nights
14. "1234 1234" 7:10 * At the end of this song there is an interview conducted by computer voices explaining why the album was made, instead of the shout-outs present on the 1998 recording.
2003: Everything Goes Numb
2002: Demo EP

And no one has "Ship of Fools" yet cuz it won't be released until this summer.

Yep I've got every song except for The Troubadour (for some stupid reason), and of course the stuff from Ship of Fools (am excite!). For 1234 1234 there is no interview nor shout-outs. It literally just stops about three quarters into the song. Kinda sucks because it's one of my favorites. I guess I can just go download it. I won't feel so bad considering they are boycotting themselves in protest of Victory Records. Good for them, I say.

Can't wait until the next Streetlight/Reel Big Fish show, whenever that may be. I had to miss the last one and I have always wanted to see either band live.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

montiac
Gerbil

Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:46 am

thegleek wrote:
montiac wrote:

Sounds like a song when someone close to you passes away...

Indeed - But I had my Sonos playing my blues mix at the time, just happened to be playing the moment I clicked on the thread :)
"Civilization begins with distillation"
-William Faulkner

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:07 am

Played for a friend, she says "Oh My God! That song is THE FUNK!!!!". I guess that means I'm not the only one who likes it.

Aloe Blacc - I Need A Dollar

When I first heard it, I thought it was a Bill Withers song from the 70s. :D

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:02 am

@JJCDAD: that is indeed the funk.

@jbi: I haven't heard that album; I'll look into it!

@thread: is this the place for podcast-talk? Listening to Marc Maron's WTF, Rum Doings, the Kunstlercast (crazy dude), and a few TWiT network shows.

Some more good tracks:

Jamie Lidell - Multiply
Ben Folds, Nick Hornby, & Pomplamoose - Things You Think (fun video, too)
Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra - Albatross
The Cinematic Orchestra - The Dance

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 am

JJCDAD wrote:
Played for a friend, she says "Oh My God! That song is THE FUNK!!!!". I guess that means I'm not the only one who likes it.

Aloe Blacc - I Need A Dollar

When I first heard it, I thought it was a Bill Withers song from the 70s. :D

Hell yeah! I'm loving all these new artists with the old 60's funk sound to them!

Some other artists you may be interested in (most of them come from the Daptone Records label):

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings (AWESOME!) --- check our her video, Ain't No Christmas in the Projects
Charles Bradley (AWESOME!) --- check out his video, The World (Is Going Up In Flames)

...and the rest of the newcomers:

The Budos Band | Sugarman Three | Menahan Street Band | The Daktaris | The Mighty Imperials | Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra | Lee Fields

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:06 am

Sleep Walking - Photek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnmygGC0z-A

Yes I was turned onto this song by watching the "Sleeping Dogs" game trailer. I'm not sure the game will be worth a damn, I just wish they would make a full length movie with those guys because it looked like it could be a quality martial arts/underground crime movie :)

If you haven't seen this yet, check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE2ADqLuzvU
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:15 pm

Jambe wrote:
Jamie Lidell - Multiply

sounds talented enuff, but not my cup of tea... it almost has a motown harmony to it... oh well

Jambe wrote:
Ben Folds, Nick Hornby, & Pomplamoose - Things You Think (fun video, too)

AWESOME!!!! I love the commentary bits!

Jambe wrote:
Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra - Albatross

lol mellow as mellow can be! it almost feels like background music to a video game! haha

Jambe wrote:
The Cinematic Orchestra - The Dance

not into anything done by Disney. /me pukes - but i did give this a listen. it's... elevator music at most.

Welch wrote:

NICE FIND YO!

if you enjoy that, you'd totally be into PHAELEH's music (check out their song, Afterglow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2OCSWF7sAw )

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Ohhh crap!!!!!! I know this song by Phaeleh! It was playing on Pandora when I was working late night on-site at a customers on my phone.. And the Pandora app on the phone doesn't let you go back to see what the last song was (so stupid). Ya, I liked it... the beat and the whole flow of it. Odd song but good, thanks Gleek!

Another song that sort of pulled me in and I go back to very often (for Trance music) is Above and Beyond - Can't Sleep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4HPSZuS ... re=related
Last edited by Welch on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:31 pm

thegleek wrote:
Saltillo. Monocyte. CD.

best music ever. do yourself a favor and buy it. download it. listen to it. your life will never be the same again.

http://www.stormingthebase.com/saltillo-monocyte-cd/

I just have to re-bump this as a forced-suggestion upon all readers of this thread. This CD will be far the best release of 2012. Listen to it. You'll dig it. I guarantee it!

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey, some elevator music is fine by me! That particular track recalls the SimCity 3000 OST, which I also like having on in the background. I haven't seen the documentary in question (wiki description makes it sound pretty saccharine) but apparently TCO played with the London Metropolitan Orchestra on the OST.

The London Philharmonic Orchestra — Time (from the album Us and Them: Symphonic Pink Floyd, which is all fun)
Neeme Jarvi & The Berliner Philharmoniker performing a bit of Grieg (In the Hall of the Mountain King) - wish this were available in album form
Spitz - Robinson (Live @ Saitama Super Arena 1/18/09) (expertly-shot concert vid, there)
Gotye - State of the Art (wonderful animated video with a progressive loop-builder from Gotye, who is a crazy soundwizard)

When the Cotillion arrived, we threw out the television! Model D575, has custom flute presets and Harmony-Plus in addition!

@thegleek: is there any more to preview than that one track? I'm intrigued by the comic as well...

If you like that, you may like the album Glimmer by Michał Jacaszek (full-length track previews available there). A friend has the marbled vinyl of that and I'm pretty envious. I think she'd notice if I swiped it... You might also like The Black Mill Tapes Volume 3 from Pye Audio Corner. I especially like Electronic Rhythm Number Five from that album, but I'm a sucker for infectious thumpy loops.