Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Help Me With a Codec Problem

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:02 pm

It seems I must configure the codec called ffdshow to not interfere with a game program I have and am trying like mad for a long time to use.

Here's the whole story that I've been posting places, with a reply. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=318634

Dear God, please help--I'm gonna die waiting for everything!

Thanks in advance.
There has been multiple Fatal Errors in TheTechReportForums.ini

Utilize Alternatives (Y/N)?
>Y

FATALITIES!
The Lord of the Flies wins!

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Re: Help Me With a Codec Problem

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Just check to see if you have it in Add/Remove Programs. Uninstall it - if that fixes the problem, then that was the problem. Generally I'm not a fan of ffdshow, as it's aggressively configured by default to take over decoding of pretty much everything. The best solution for playing weird files in your media collection is VLC Player.

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:14 pm

I use Media Player Classic. I have the K-Lite Codec Pack, 64-bit ver. installed. I guess I'll just uninstall the whole pack of 'em, and then reinstall when I wanna watch a film or TV show, I guess.

Here goes nothing!...

>Y

FATALITIES!

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Heh! Even with it uninstalled it still did that! :( Now God is just torturing me! Look what God does! :(

>Y

FATALITIES!

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:08 pm

This thread made me a little sad that I bought the X Superbox back at Xmas. The developer in your linked thread hares off screaming about ffdshow at the drop of a hat. I have no idea why his game engine cares what is decoding the audio, but I'm guessing he should have made it an internal dependency instead of pointing fingers at every installed codec on your system.

FFDSHOW is *the* standard. If your app/game craps bricks when ffdshow is present, there are MANY folks, myself included, who will choose a set of quality codecs over your poorly-coded app/game. Hardcode your dependencies if they're fragile, kids. Don't whine and blame your customers.

Back to the matter at hand, the egosoft forum thread listed from the Steam forum thread is awesomeness.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

That app should be able to get you the name, or a list of names, of potential culprits.

Oh, K-Lite is bad for you, just BTW. It's loads better than it used to be, but there are better codecs, and better codec packs out there. I often use CCCP when I'm feeling lazy, but lately I've been installing my own ffdshow builds, and LAV Filters (Google "LAV CUVID" and follow from there) for the machines with good hardware, where I want maximum quality.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:34 pm

Oh, boy! I'm trying to follow the "steps", even though they are not listed explicitly, and pressed "Attach to X3".
Well of course "X3" isn't running as I don't have that game. But X: Beyond the Frontier WAS running, as you can see in the Taskbar. (And yes, I ALSO tried it in a window :P )

I'm not sure what to do, am not sure how to work that utility.

[APPEND:] Holy crap! That was supposed to be a thumbnail! Seems I've forgotten how to do things! Sorry about that! :(

>Y

FATALITIES!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Last edited by thegleek on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:27 pm

thegleek wrote:
Don't bring religion into a non-religious thread/forum section please. We have a place for that garbage. thanks.

Backseat modding is your quickest path back to the place from where you were recently sprung.

Don't do it again.

For the record, that was not R&P content.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:36 pm

I just wish I could make heads or tails of those instructions that I'm trying to follow so as to get the task done and over with hehehe Thanks, Captain Ned for your help hehehe

[APPEND:] I tried the LAV CUVID thing--after uninstalling my K-Lite Codec Pack--and the results in the game were better, but hardly 100% perfect.

Can you assist a bit further, please? I think this one is FINALLY nearing completion, I HOPE! hehehehe

Thanks again!

>Y

FATALITIES!