Can't Even Edit a Little .CFG File--WTF, Man!?

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Can't Even Edit a Little .CFG File--WTF, Man!?

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:36 am

Can't even edit a little .CFG file with Notepad--WTF, man!? Says "Access is Denied." and I get WinVista-like popups EVEN THOUGH I'm using Win7 Pro! It's a new installation of it, heh.

Does this problem sound familiar? Yargh, I don't even believe it! :O
There has been multiple Fatal Errors in TheTechReportForums.ini

Utilize Alternatives (Y/N)?
>Y

FATALITIES!
The Lord of the Flies wins!
The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Can't Even Edit a Little .CFG File--WTF, Man!?

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:43 am

Calm down.

I am going to assume that by "WinVista-like popups" you are referring to the UAC prompt. Well, Windows 7 does not get rid of UAC, it is just tweaked to make it less annoying by default, but it is still there.

Which .cfg file are you trying to edit? Files under %windir%, %ProgramFiles%, %ProgramFiles(x86)% and a few other places are now considered somewhat "protected" and even if you are part of Administrators group you can't edit them without running Notepad or other text editors elevated (the "Run as Administrator" command if you right click the shortcut or the actual program exe itself). By default with UAC enabled Administrators are still restricted to do certain things because unfortunately for Windows users we were so comfortable assigning ourselves to the Administrators group and open the door to all sorts of malware. We have been through this.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:51 am

Flying Fox wrote:By default with UAC enabled Administrators are still restricted to do certain things because unfortunately for Windows users we were so comfortable assigning ourselves to the Administrators group and open the door to all sorts of malware. We have been through this.

Heh, that's crazy! Eeh, CyberSpace! You take the bad with the good...or something.... hehehehe

Thanks! I patched it up now! It was just a little .CFG file in my 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Dungeon Keeper\' I had to make a small but important adjustment in there hehehehe

Thanks for the tip hehehehe

>Y

FATALITIES!
The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Even beyond the UAC. Some .cfg (configuration files) are in use by running programs and can NOT be edited until the program (or service) is ended.

And if you're doing any textfile editing, I strongly suggest you d/l notepad++. It's free, and no other text editor invented can match its prowess!
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Just open notepad as an administrator. Right click on notepad and select "Run as Administrator", then you will be able to open and edit your file.
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
AMM
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:29 pm

I ended-up doing that. I hope it was worth the trouble, trying to get a higher-rez while playing the original audio-tracks. I couldn't do it before now I'm trying it again. See here: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/dungeon_keeper_series/keeperfx_how_to_play_high_res/. I dunno if it'll work--I'm not an expert, I'm probably wasting my time and energy hehehe

>Y

FATALITIES!
The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Or just turn off UAC. The effectiveness of it is vastly overrated.
l33t-g4m3r
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:32 pm

"The UAC: Making better worlds for tomorrow!" Heh, NOT!

Yeah, turning it off would be waaay better hehehe My last Win7 Pro installation, like some OEM installation, had it turned off. I hate it--it's WinVista crap! WinXP never needed that! Yeah, I guess turn it off, as it's too much, man, too much hehehe

And by that, I wish they'd make a like some Doom 4 game. OTOH, what about that new Rage? Is that like Doom or Quake or Half-Life or similar? Or is it waaay-out different? ???

Okay, so turn off UAC, okay hehehehe

>Y

FATALITIES!
The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Vista UAC wasn't even annoying beyond the first few days of use. I never see a UAC pop-up except when java or flash patch themselves.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX770 SC ACX | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 8 x64
yogibbear
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Oh, I don't even care either way, I guess! hehe I just wish I could get some help in the other thread about the audio-codecs, so that I can play that game at 100% with the sound not messed-up and stuff, help, I guess hehehe

>Y

FATALITIES!
The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:36 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:Or just turn off UAC. The effectiveness of it is vastly overrated.

I would say the "suckiness" of it is also vastly overrated.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:06 am

I recently migrated my OS to a SSD, and ran into problems with permissions when trying to delete the old system folders off the hard drive (\windows, \program files, \program files(x86), \ProgramData).

For some reason, taking over ownership of the folders and assigning my user account full control to the folders wasn't enough, and I ended up having to boot into safe mode before I could finally delete the useless files.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit

Postposted on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:22 am

Voldenuit wrote:I recently migrated my OS to a SSD, and ran into problems with permissions when trying to delete the old system folders off the hard drive (\windows, \program files, \program files(x86), \ProgramData).

For some reason, taking over ownership of the folders and assigning my user account full control to the folders wasn't enough, and I ended up having to boot into safe mode before I could finally delete the useless files.

Explorer almost always runs not elevated. You pretty much need to go with an elevated Command Prompt in order to be sure.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:00 am

Flying Fox wrote:Explorer almost always runs not elevated. You pretty much need to go with an elevated Command Prompt in order to be sure.

I tried launching explorer.exe as an elevated process. It still didn't work for me.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit

Postposted on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:14 am

The Lord of the Flies wrote:WinXP never needed that!

Yes, it did. But it never had it, unfortunately.

If you type "hehehe" one more time, I'm going to slash your throat.
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:37 am

Meadows wrote:If you type "hehehe" one more time, I'm going to slash your throat.

I agree, hehehe. But he gets mad props for making a thread about Dungeon Keeper in 2012.
Saber Cherry
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:57 am

The Lord of the Flies wrote:"The UAC: Making better worlds for tomorrow!" Heh, NOT!

Yeah, turning it off would be waaay better hehehe My last Win7 Pro installation, like some OEM installation, had it turned off. I hate it--it's WinVista crap! WinXP never needed that! Yeah, I guess turn it off, as it's too much, man, too much hehehe

And by that, I wish they'd make a like some Doom 4 game. OTOH, what about that new Rage? Is that like Doom or Quake or Half-Life or similar? Or is it waaay-out different? ???

Okay, so turn off UAC, okay hehehehe

Doom 4 is coming, FYI.
I.S.T.
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:26 am

I hope so. But there's been rumors about it since I dunno when. I'm not so sure it's coming.

But tell me about Rage. Some complained, but they often do. Those complaints came because ATI screwed up, but they blamed iD for that. But how is it with that game, really?

Anyway, v4 of KeeperFX didn't install, and v.39 is beautiul, except I dunno how to get it to play my audio-tracks from the GOG ver. of the game. Yay, so far hehe

>Y

FATALITIES!
The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to Windows