Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

MethylONE
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Windows 8 Live login password length problem.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:43 am

I have to share this because I'm sure someone else will run into this eventually.

I installed the Windows 8 Preview and really liked it right away. Got everything up and running. Setup the 'Live' portion using my Windows Live account credentials. Win 8 uses this 'Live' login instead of a local login once you have it setup presumably so that all the online services start up with the OS.

So, my first reboot the new log in screen comes up and it won't take my password. I get the error 'user name or password incorrect.' I re-installed the OS three times carefully mapping my progress, the final time I rebooted immediately after finishing the initial install - same problem.

Turns out the Live login component in Windows 8 does NOT accept passwords longer than 16 characters. My password is 20 characters.

Two solutions, change your password to Live to 16 or less BEFORE setting up the Live log in component to Win 8 OR input just the first 16 characters of your 20 character password. (Inputting 20 will return the error.)

I hope this helps. This was one bear of an issue for me but it is behind me now...
License to kill gophers.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Re: Windows 8 Live login password length problem.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:51 am

That's really ridiculous...

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:53 am

ChronoReverse wrote:
That's really ridiculous...

I agree and I am so glad you spelt ridiculous correctly!
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:34 am

What are the implications of a system that will accept a password that is not your (full) password and still let you in?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:02 pm

The Windows Live iPhone app has this same problem. It is a stupid oversight. The web based and Live suite of applications all support very long and complex passwords.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.