Raid Blue Screen

Discuss the core components that make up the heart and soul of any good computer.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

Raid Blue Screen

Postposted on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:08 pm

New build. Motherboard is an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro / Gen3. Using SSD for 'boot' and a standard drive for 'programs'. Now once the OS is installed and working well - I have added (2) additional drives (2tb, green) for storage of data - that I would like to use raid (mirror). I have installed these additional drives, changed setting in bios from AHCI to Raid and created array. When it tries to start now the OS crashes (blue screen). When I change it back from RAID to AHCI the OS starts fine. What am I missing here to use the two new drives in RAID mirror?

Any help would be appreciated.
garycooper
Gerbil

Re: Raid Blue Screen

Postposted on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Did you install the RAID drivers in the OS?

What OS is this? In WinXP IIRC you may need to have the controller set to RAID from the get-go, and install the RAID drivers during OS install if you want the controller you're booting from to run in RAID mode. Even if the boot disk itself isn't itselfRAIDed.

Vista/Win7 may be similar (not sure).
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Windows 7 pro is the OS.
garycooper
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:21 pm

Are you putting all your drives (RAID and non-RAID) on Intel's controller? Maybe try separating them - connect your non-RAID drives to Marvell's controller instead (uninstall Intel's Rapid Storage crap first), it is also a SATA3 so it shouldn't slow you down, then connect the 2 drives that you want to RAID to Intel's controller and then setup the RAID on them...

Also, you might find this useful:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
In your case, you probably need to only modify the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV" registry entry, since AHCI is already working for you...
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Return to Motherboards, Chipsets, & RAM