Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Windows 8 MS USB 3.0 Driver

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:24 am

I have a few questions for all the MS software pro's out there.

Could/will the Win8 usb 3.0 stack/drivers work on windows 7?

If so, how could one extract them from Win8?

And install them on Win7?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Windows 8 MS USB 3.0 Driver

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:35 am

That's an interesting thought/idea. I'll let you know once M$ Windows 8 decides to finally freaking install from the disk on ANY of my spare or current systems without an error. - LAME!

I'd like to think that Win 7 will get USB 3.0 drivers in SP2 though....
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:23 am

Device manager can show you which .sys (usb<something>.sys generally) files are needed and a string search in Windows INF directory should be able to find the right INF.

As I recall though the driver model for Win8 has incremented up a notch to WDDM 1.2 (7 is 1.1 and Vista is 1.0). The OS's retain compatibility for older revisions (and 32bit editions of Vista and 7 even understand XP drivers), but I don't think stepping up is going to pan out too well.

I forsee the experiment ending in failure, but I'd like to be proven wrong. Break something and let us know!

Welch wrote:
I'd like to think that Win 7 will get USB 3.0 drivers in SP2 though....

I think Windows 7 will be lucky to get an SP2.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:59 am

Its a shame considering its so new to the market in all honesty, and its adoption slower than expected. I mean don't get me wrong, it has taken over a lot of the desktop market, but most of my customers are running a Windows XP/7 mixing bowl on their network, for no other reason than to save money. I've attempted to get most/all of them to switch for security reasons alone, but they too have to answer to the gods of the wallet. I think Windows 7 came at a time where the economy got bad and people chose to push their junker/older XP machines until they died. The sad thing is people don't realize how much productivity its costing them to have slow machines and ones that aren't reliable. Windows 7 will be covered until 2015, so I'd imagine at least 1 more service pack will be released, especially considering another OS will be released in the mean time. The have to make the two place nice at some point. If they don't take care of the Windows 7 OS in hopes of pushing Windows 8 off onto people to make up for the long run of XP, then I'll consider never purchasing another Windows OS again... Take care of your customers people, or we will most certainly abandon you.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:34 am

Welch wrote:
Its a shame considering its so new to the market in all honesty, and its adoption slower than expected. I mean don't get me wrong, it has taken over a lot of the desktop market, but most of my customers are running a Windows XP/7 mixing bowl on their network, for no other reason than to save money.

Yup, in fact the vast majority of people where I work are still on XP. A few of us are running Linux (Debian and Ubuntu), and there are also a few Windows 7 "early" (for us) adopters.

Welch wrote:
I've attempted to get most/all of them to switch for security reasons alone, but they too have to answer to the gods of the wallet. I think Windows 7 came at a time where the economy got bad and people chose to push their junker/older XP machines until they died. The sad thing is people don't realize how much productivity its costing them to have slow machines and ones that aren't reliable. Windows 7 will be covered until 2015, so I'd imagine at least 1 more service pack will be released, especially considering another OS will be released in the mean time.

FWIW XP still has about 2 years of extended support left, so I imagine a lot of people will hang on to it until late 2013 or early 2014. Extended support for 7 goes all the way out to 2020, so we can probably count on it hanging around on a lot of systems until then.

Welch wrote:
The have to make the two place nice at some point. If they don't take care of the Windows 7 OS in hopes of pushing Windows 8 off onto people to make up for the long run of XP, then I'll consider never purchasing another Windows OS again... Take care of your customers people, or we will most certainly abandon you.

I've already all but abandoned Windows for my own systems, both home and work. I still need to support it for other people, and keep a Windows VM hanging around for those occasional "Windows emergencies" though...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Indeed.

If there is no USB 3.0 support in the coming SP2 for win7 I won't be impressed. I think MS should also throw in an updated AHCI sata driver since there is faster ssd's and sata 6Gbps fairly mainstream now also, then when win7 was released.

When I have time, maybe 6 months down the road I will try to rip out the win8 usb 3.0 driver stack and dump it into win7, or something.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!