Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Re: SW: TOR

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:14 am

I am on Shadow Hand (PvE, EST) named Kasabian. Sith Warrior Maurader.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Vatic
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:30 pm

anyone playing on Mind Trick? what's everyone's impressions so far? I will get to play for the first time tonight.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Woot, finally got early access! The opening cinematics were certainly impressive.

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:43 pm

I've got a level 18 Mercenary (Bounty Hunter) on the "Sith Meditation Sphere" server (PvE). If anyone's playing there and wants to work together on missions, PM me.

Spirit
Gerbil

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:06 pm

So I finally received my early assess invite, and I can't get the in-game sound to work. I'm posting here because I can't get in touch with the customer service on SWTOR.com. The sound in the cinematics and in other games work fine, but I don't here any dialog, music, or sound effects in the game world. I've tried reinstalling my sound card drivers and DirectX but that didn't help. Any Ideas would be much appreciated.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm on Mind Trick.. and GM of my guild, small now, but we've been around since before WoW lol..

Playing a Trooper, lvl 19, its a lot of fun, but man, all the damn walking! the maps are huge!

Toon name is Lukax.
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:58 am

So I got to 35 yesterday on my Sith Warrior Marauder. (Shadow Hand, PvE, EST) And since their are currently a lack of guides around I thought I would post a bit about it.

1. The Marauder is highly gear dependent unlike the other classes. In order to hit like a truck you need the gear! End of story. There isnt a rotation but a priority. Balancing cooldowns and knowing when to use that 30 Rage on Beserk is key to doing consistent DPS. The Marauder is a complicated class to play, if I were to match it with a WoW counterpart it would be the Druid Feral Cat. I am currently using the Carnage spec and Quinn as my companion/ pocket healer. There isnt a group of mobs that I cannot take on.

2. Speaking of attacking packs, it is essential you prioritize your targets lest you find yourself dead. Rarely in SWTOR will you find single pulls or the rare lone person.

3. About Gear, and this is what I like about it from WoW, There is artifact gear (orange boarder) that have slots for mods/Enhancements/armoring; Find a look that you like and just stick the addons in it. If you get a nice quest reward that has current level slots in bust it up and place it in your armor! It will stay current with your level. The same thing applies to weapons and Lightsabers. (I got a cool looking Darth Tyranus-esqe saber early on and have pretty much kept it up to date by switching the mods for it.)

4. Questing, there are more than enough quests to level. I left Tatooine (5th planet in Sith progression: Starting planet, Dromand Kass, Balmora, Nar Shadaa, Tatooine, Alderann.....) yesterday with only about 1/3rd of it done. I was already over level for it!

5. Companions, use them! Keep them geared!

6. Datacrons, GO FIND THEM! They are permanent stat boosts for your toon. Also once you collect the shards theres a nice reward. (no I am not going to spoil it!)

Lastly lots of people have been asking me, "What should I play?" Well I will break down my observations also from the Sith side:

1. If you want to tank: (in order of my preference) Sith Inquisitor Assassin, Bounty Hunter, Sith Warrior Juggernaut
2. If you want to DPS: Sith Warrior Marauder, Bounty Hunter, Operative Sniper, Inq Assassin
3. If you want to Heal: Sith Inquisitor, Operative, Bounty Hunter
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:15 pm

Sure. I'm in.

Currently I'm a 17 Sorcerer on Shadowlands. I build an alt on Corsair for my wife, but she doesn't want to play. Just build characters. :)
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:56 am

So I am on the verge of 50 and the questing/ leveling has been fun. A friend and I have been talking about the depth of the game, yeah there is some depth to it. I relished in the fact that at 32 I gained my Lord title and a Padawan for my Sith Warrior. Up until that point I had only conceited that I would play a truly dark character. Now thinking about it more, the choices that I could make, make TOR really unique. Some have come back to 'haunt' me and some have had a great outcome.

Maybe its the newness of the game but I already find myself mapping out how I will play other classes. My next class, that I have already been dabbling with, will be the Bounty Hunter. I already know that I am going to be all business, completing contracts and reaping credits for the job. I will straddle the Light and Dark side choices, doing only what "needs to be done".

The class quests that carry on throughout the development and leveling of your character is top notch. It keeps things moving fluidly. And with the Legacy system (you add a last name to your toon) all other alts get gains from it.

The TOR community thus far has been great. I know it will deteriorate at some point but I am holding out hope that it doesnt.

Also I have to admit that the game still has its issue, most are minor like turning off Sith corruption in the preferences....When you zone to a new area it resets. Also theres a bug with adding players as friends, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. And I personally have an issue with combat queueing, this is where you spam a button for an action and your character misses it or just stands there. Theres a drop down for it from 0.0 to I think 1.0, I have tried 0 and .5 and .75 and it seems wonky to me. Oh and there's no combat log. (One thing I liked about WoW was the theorycrafting, trying to get that optimal out-put)

If your looking for something a little different try TOR. Yeah its a bit like WoW in space with Lightsabers but it IS different.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:22 am

Great post tanker!

I've re-rolled IA Sniper, republic just doesn't feel right.. then can spend their time rescuing Ewoks, I'll spend my time killing them :P

Live live the Empire!
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:42 am

I took yesterday off and went about mucking around as a Sorcerer. Good solid fun. At this point, I may have to try a trooper or agent next.

I'm amazed at how good some of the writing & acting is. Now that I'm outside of my experience in the beta, I'm continually amazed at what they've created. This is going to suck up so much of my time...

Skyrim can kiss my ass. ;)
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:14 pm

So…I bought the game Monday and didn’t get a chance to play until yesterday. Needless to say, I’m having fun. So much so that I played for 5 ½ hours straight yesterday reaching my goal of hitting level 10 and getting my first companion. With that being said, I think I’ll be sticking around for a while. For now, I’m playing a Warrior and planning on going the Marauder route when I get home. I have some friends at work that I'm playing with, but I'm sure I'll have a few alts running around elsewhere.

For those that care:

Name: Skorn
Race: Sith Pureblood
Class: Warrior Marauder
Server: Belgoth's Beacon (PvP - East)
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:28 am

Great to see people from The Tech Report playing SWTOR. I'm on a server called 'Daragon Trail' playing with the wife and a guild called Redemption. We're Republic. I've got a 28 Jedi Knight (Guardian), 28 Smuggler (Gunslinger), 21 Jedi Consular (Seer/Sage) and a 21 Trooper (Combat Medic), I'm enjoying all the classes but love Smuggler the most. My wife and I (who I play my JK with and she plays a JC (sage)) can do heroic together using our companions rather easy and get to follow two stories at once. There are a lot of Jedi's in game, if you try the PVP you'll see a ton. I hate running into Sith Sorcerers, although really, when you're not level 50, I hate running into any level 50's when doing PVP. I'm on a PVP server but have only been 'ganked' once while fighting mobs, a Sith Warrior completely pwned me before I even realized he was there, he was 6 lvls higher then me, but he was nice enough not to camp me.

As mentioned by others the game does have some bugs but no where near how WoW was when I started (Feb, 05', 3 months after release). Running great on my Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radion HD 4890, 1920 x 1080.

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:32 am

Darkmage wrote:

This is going to suck up so much of my time...

LOL yep, mine too. :lol:

During beta I tried Empire side and really enjoyed it, specially Imperial Agent, however my friends and wife all wanted to play Jedi's.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:36 am

Hellsbellboy wrote:
........ however my friends and wife all wanted to play Jedi's.

I tired but with all the rainbows, unicorns, and ewoks I can only stand so much. :P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

squeeb
Gerbil

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Bump. I play on PvP server Terentatek. Great game!
Ryzen 5 2600 | 32GB DDR4 | Radeon 5700

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:45 pm

Yeah...I did a /played the other day and I've already logged 6 days worth of time.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Already unsubscribed because I really didn't feel like it was worth logging on anymore - I've tried all of the operations/flashpoints and "warzone" maps and there's nothing else to do anymore except leveling alts (which I somewhat already done in Beta and which I never really liked regardless of the game). It was somewhat amusing filling up the short "survey" at cancellation page and seeing a choice of "GW2" being the "game I'm leaving SWTOR for" (or some similar question) considering GW2 doesn't even have an official release date... I still sometimes watch other people play at http://www.twitch.tv but I don't have to pay any fee for that and the gameplay is tolerable to watch because of interesting/amusing/entertaining comments by some of the streamers :wink: B.t.w, if you're still wondering whether to buy this game or not - watching other people play (at twitch.tv) might be helpful for making that decision.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:40 am

I quit reading the forums over at SWTOR. People just dont get it. The bottom line is that WoW pretty much has killed any chance of any MMO to survive. The naysayers complain well WoW has xyz and abc and this doesnt is an awful argument. Most of those that cry about this and that missing never were there for WoWs beginning year when guilds ran through the end content in the first 5 months and developers then were slow to fix things.

I have voiced this to a few friends and the agree. For instance nobody seems to remember that days of when the ONLY reason you brought a paladin to a raid was so that he could stay out of combat and resurrect people! Up until Burning Crusade a Paladin was absolutely useless. (lets review the dates: Original WoW was released 23 NOV 2004, BC was released 16 Jan 2007. That's three full years of the Paladin, a popular class to be totally useless!)Of course the WoW addicts dont remember this because they only started playing after BC or WOTLK.

How long did it take for Blizzard to introduce a LFG tool? Oh yeah that didnt come about until the mid/end of WOTLK.

While I too am somewhat bored with SWTOR and feel that the OPS are just too damn easy, well they would be if you weren't fighting against the bugs themselves, there still is a lot for me to discover. Heck, just this past week I finally finished getting all the datacrons including the +10 to all stats one. SWTOR does have a good base to build upon. I will give it some time......it will get better.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:08 am

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:15 am

its gonna be awesome!

Only for the first two weeks, after that It gets boring as hell.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:22 am

After visiting Leor's place a few weeks ago I came home and started a Smuggler. I'm only to level 12 but so far I really like it. It needs some cleaning up but since Guild Wars sort of died out I was looking for a timesink, maybe this is it
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:50 pm

idchafee wrote:
After visiting Leor's place a few weeks ago I came home and started a Smuggler. I'm only to level 12 but so far I really like it. It needs some cleaning up but since Guild Wars sort of died out I was looking for a timesink, maybe this is it

You went to see Leor! How's he doing?

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:41 pm

thegleek wrote:
idchafee wrote:

You went to see Leor! How's he doing?

I'm good Gleek man!

idchafee and I are both on The Corsair, anyone else here on that server?

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:47 am

I have a couple characters on there. But I haven't been on it in months. I think I have a level 10 smuggler on there. I'll have to check.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:20 am

My only real complaint, and its a minor one, is that the stupid companion always thinks I'm trying to talk to them when I'm really trying to shoot someone. GET OUT OF THE WAY!!
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:43 am

idchafee wrote:
My only real complaint, and its a minor one, is that the stupid companion always thinks I'm trying to talk to them when I'm really trying to shoot someone. GET OUT OF THE WAY!!

Use tab to switch targets, don't right click ;-)

hit me up when you're on, I have a jedi consular around your level on Corouscant.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:26 am

free to play weekend, so I am taking advantage of it and seeing how it feels.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Well crap...I'm hooked on another MMO now. I played WOW for like 6 years up until Cata then lost interest. This game is pretty darn fun. The quest dialogue keeps it interesting and I love how you can choose your response to NPC's. I'm only up to level 18 on my inquisitor/sorcerer and I have some RL friends playing on my server helping me out by donating gear and what not. I guess my only complaint is that I was hoping the graphics would be a little better. Been playing BF3 since it's release and I guess I'm spoiled to play on ultra settings where everything looks so nice. Oh, and the best part is having the companions there to grind out all your crew skills! It seems like they took some of the more tedious things from WOW and improved the user experience.

I'm on Infinite Empire, toon is Skullzer. Empire side.
Office PC:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 970 4GB | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Win 7 64
HTPC:
Intel i5-4570 | ASRock H87M | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 960 2GB | Corsair CX430M | Fractal Design Node 605 | Win 7 64

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:14 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
free to play weekend, so I am taking advantage of it and seeing how it feels.

Yea, they're now offering a f2p "weekend" starting tomorrow... The first of many, I guess :D By the end of the year they'll probably have a permanent low-level f2p "trial", and by the next year the whole game will be completely and permanently f2p :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people