dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:40 am

just brew it! wrote:Holy crap, 852 entries this year at our annual Drunk Monk Challenge! :o :o

I'll be spending tomorrow afternoon helping to unpack and sort all of the entries by category... and then my wife and I get to figure out how to assign ~100 judges to all the flights! It's basically a huge optimization puzzle. At least one highly ranked BJCP judge per table if at all possible, give judges their preferred styles (and/or avoid their "don't you dare give me that" styles) if they specified any, and ensure that judges who also entered beers in the competition aren't judging any of their own.

We also volunteered to do essentially the same job for our region's site in the first round of the AHA NHC this year. WTF were we thinking?!?? :lol:

If they hit me up to help with Sam Adams' Longshot this year I am going to tell them I just want to judge!

Interest in homebrewing has skyrocketed in the past few years. They say that homebrewing surges whenever the economy is in the tank... I guess that makes sense. People have more free time to brew and more incentive to drink; and those who like craft/microbrewed beer can make their own for less than it costs to buy the commercial stuff so there can be a financial incentive as well.

Awesome man! I'm telling ya, TR needs its own BEER forum! haha push for it! :P

I just got done judging Michigan's "2012 Homebrew at the WEB" competition. They had OVER 1,000 entries! crazy, yeah?

http://crhbc.com/pages/competition.php

It was so prestigious, we had GORDON STRONG as a judge! and JOHN PALMER too! holy crap, right?

I judged 3 sessions. (cat's 8, 9, and 19). Had an awesome time!

Oh, and I even came out with an Honorable Mention for one of my 21A beers, my "Caribbean Jerk Ale"! woot! scored a 41 average!
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:39 am

I'm fairly certain that if I were to ever visit India, I would be dead within a week from eating so much delicious food. Indian cuisine is, without a doubt, my favorite.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:40 am

Dizik wrote:I'm fairly certain that if I were to ever visit India, I would be dead within a week from eating so much delicious food. Indian cuisine is, without a doubt, my favorite.

without a doubt dude. i was in india for 6 weeks. best time in my life. nothing in america can compare.
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:53 pm

thegleek wrote:
Dizik wrote:I'm fairly certain that if I were to ever visit India, I would be dead within a week from eating so much delicious food. Indian cuisine is, without a doubt, my favorite.

without a doubt dude. i was in india for 6 weeks. best time in my life. nothing in america can compare.

Just about lunch time. Could use some kothu parotta.
(My build, thanks to TR) i5-3570k | P8Z77-V | DDR3 1600 (4x4 GB) | Radeon 5850 | m4 128 GB | Blue SE16 500 GB | Green SE16 1 TB | Xonar DG | M12II 520 W | Sonata III | LP2475W | Blu-Ray | Access 600 | MX310 | Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
integer
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:56 pm

GFWL is the suckiest bunch of suck that ever did suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! argh.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:40 am

Holy sh*t, I'm 30.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:44 am

Congrats, dude. It's all downhill from there.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:13 am

Dizik wrote:Holy sh*t, I'm 30.

Bloody young'uns. :D
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:46 am

Dizik wrote:Holy sh*t, I'm 30.
ha ha... :wink:
BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:04 am

week from hell.
The upside is that daylight savings time hits next week. Sucks losing an hour of sleep but at least now I'll be able to go hiking after work :D
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:11 am

Dizik wrote:I'm 30.

You may or may not have figured this out yet, but your body just lost all remaining ability to turn fat and sugar into vitamins and minerals. Cap that last soda and pick up an exercise regimen if you haven't already :wink:
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:34 am

derFunkenstein wrote:Congrats, dude. It's all downhill from there.

Let's be honest: it was all downhill after 22.
My specs: GE Spacemaker JVM2052SNSS | 1050.0 Watts | 3 speed turntable | 2.0 cu ft | Quick 1 lb Defrost
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:37 am

Let's be honest: it was all downhill after 22.

QFT :( I wish I'd made it to 30 without having to really watch what I ate!
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:44 am

I turn 35 in May. I can actually say that yes, I feel different than I did at age 30. Which kind of sucks.
My specs: GE Spacemaker JVM2052SNSS | 1050.0 Watts | 3 speed turntable | 2.0 cu ft | Quick 1 lb Defrost
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Vrock wrote:I turn 35 in May. I can actually say that yes, I feel different than I did at age 30. Which kind of sucks.

yup. i turned 40 last year. and i still act like i'm 14 on these forums ffs! :P
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:45 pm

thegleek wrote:
Vrock wrote:I turn 35 in May. I can actually say that yes, I feel different than I did at age 30. Which kind of sucks.

No you don't. Not like you used to.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Vrock wrote:
thegleek wrote:

No you don't. Not like you used to.

well it seems i still backseat mod and capt ned threatened to ban me again. this just happened recently. less then a week ago if i recall. oh well. i try to behave.
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:23 pm

thegleek wrote:i try to behave.

It shows. I second Vrock's comment, I think you are much improved too. :wink:

As to Captain Ned's intervention, hey, we all need someone to keep us in line from time to time. Just follow the instructions provided.
Glorious
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Glorious wrote:
thegleek wrote:i try to behave.

It shows. I second Vrock's comment, I think you are much improved too. :wink:

As to Captain Ned's intervention, hey, we all need someone to keep us in line from time to time. Just follow the instructions provided.

i know! sometimes i act before i think. i have no intentions on wanting to be banned again!

i just think getting banned here for such trivial offenses after posting 7,000 posts and 9 years of service here should warrant a lesser punishment!
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Let's leave that last can of worms buried and forgotten.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:34 pm

Captain Ned wrote:Let's leave that last can of worms buried and forgotten.

k
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Agreed 8)

This past weekend I had three UPS's fail at work from the wind/bad weather/whatever/whoknows.
It was a strange coincidence.
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Gleek'll always be a trouble maker <3

I'm 25 today. Bet that freaks out the people that knew me when I was 17 ;D

Thanks to the sexy gerbils that sent me sweet messages <3
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport
annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:47 pm

annabel wrote:I'm 25 today.
Happy Birthday!
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Thanks sexy <3
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
annabel

Postposted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Happy birthday! Wow, it's been that long since you started posting here? Time flies!
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:25 pm

Well I was what, 19 when I joined here.. TG was before that, Gleek knew me when I was 16 ;D

Can't get rid of me my darling gerbils <3
annabel

Postposted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:35 pm

annabel wrote:Well I was what, 19 when I joined here.. TG was before that, Gleek knew me when I was 16 ;D

Can't get rid of me my darling gerbils <3

happy birthday hen!
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:02 pm

annabel wrote:Gleek'll always be a trouble maker <3

I'm 25 today. Bet that freaks out the people that knew me when I was 17 ;D

Thanks to the sexy gerbils that sent me sweet messages <3

Well then, happy birthday :)

Enjoy your twenties while you still got 'em. They disappear with alarming quickness.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:24 pm

It's kind of surreal to think that I've been registered to this site for nearly 10 years.

Even more surreal to think everything that's happened since then. At the time I've registered, I was attending community college, competing in video games, and working a part time job.

Since then, I've gotten my AA and BS, worked at that job for 7 years and was laid off while trying to figure out where I wanted to go next (in fact, I think I remember posting questions about it here, a year or two before I was laid off. I realized my job was dead-end and my boss was bordering on abusive). Had a few jobs here and there for 3 years, on and off unemployment, going pretty low for a "college grad with 5+ years development experience". I did some personal projects on the side to help figure out where I wanted to go, and the picture became clearer as time went on.

It didn't help that family problems erupted: Both of my sisters have married and divorced, and are now with new boyfriends/fiances. My grandmother died and that side of the family grew apart as a result. I buried 3 extended-but-close family members (not including the aforementioned grandmother) in one year. My father was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago, and stage 4 prostate cancer (not even 5 months after his latest checkup!) the following year.

I've since moved across the country after getting invited by my now-roommate to move in to actually work on a career (but had no job lined up). Six weeks after I move in, I get not one, but two jobs in the industry of choice. I wind up passing a 6 hour long interview to work in one of the best places in the world to work. Not only do I not have a boss, but to be able to call some of the amazing people here (people who have made some of the most popular games/mods, one-half of the team that made Quake's software renderer possible, and the woman who voiced/played Red Fraggle) coworkers is pretty awesome.

The work is far from done, but it's a pretty awesome change to a career where I thought I was going to be stuck working a 9-5 for peter principled bosses. Now, to start coding regularly again...
Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch