Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: upgrade recommendations

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:11 pm

Ante, just saying... save yourself the headache in a few years and get a new PSU. One that's been in service for 4-5 years + an overclock (albeit a modest one) is prone to random failure. You'd do yourself a great injustice to not just shell out a little more cash on a new power supply especially considering the weight of the new parts your putting into it.

As for the OP... If your planning on getting a new system in full when IVY comes out like we've been talking about, then just wait on any of the major upgrades to the old system. Why even bother installing Windows 7 64-bit if your going to just build your new computer in a few months? Seems like a waste of time IMO (unless you have plenty to spare).

If you do go with the windows 7 64bit reinstall on your current system, and you want to upgrade your ram, shoot for 4gb sticks... the Q6600 should be able to benefit from 8gb of ram. Do you have a need/use for a secondary computer? If you were to build a computer tomorrow, would you still use your old one for anything, or would it sit there unused until tossed a decade from now?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:08 am

His motherboard does not support DIMMs larger than 2 GiB.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:12 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
His motherboard does not support DIMMs larger than 2 GiB.

Ahhh, I guess that sort of limits him then :(.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

ante9383
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:11 pm

Welch wrote:
Ante, just saying... save yourself the headache in a few years and get a new PSU. One that's been in service for 4-5 years + an overclock (albeit a modest one) is prone to random failure. You'd do yourself a great injustice to not just shell out a little more cash on a new power supply especially considering the weight of the new parts your putting into it.

Welch, that is very good advice indeed, thank you. In fact, the above scenario already happened - but thankfully it happened a few months ago! One day, after about 4 years of service, my OCZ 780W power supply (the one still in my signature below) simply could not supply enough juice to reliably power up the system any more. It would only turn on every third or fourth time I would press the power button! I bought a new, modular 800W PSU from Cougar, a German brand apparently only sold in Europe (I bought it in Germany).
As soon as I replaced the old OCZ PSU with the new one, my system started working flawlessly again. It still does, it just got really long in the tooth.
I forgot to update the PSU in my signature...

Regardless, you were absolutely right about the PSU getting flaky after this many years, Welch, thanks very much!
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, [email protected] w/NOCTUA NH-D15S, 16GB Corsair 3000MHz RAM, Crucial MX500 1TB, 3x Seagate Archive 8TB, 1xWD RED 8TB, 1xWD RED 4TB, Asus Xonar Essence STX, bequiet! 630W, Fractal Design Define R5, Asus PG278Q, Asus PG278QR