Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Where's Waldo (Peyton Manning version)?

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Story is breaking on ESPN.

If I was the Jets, I would actively pursue this. even at half strength he is light years better than Sanchez.

Miami could really use a QB. Manning throwing to that receiver core in Arizona? Kansas City?

I will still be a Colts fan, but this hurts. Bu they'll essentially replacing Manning with another Manning. They both started their careers going back to school to win the championship just to get abused.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Where's Waldo (Peyton Manning version)?

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:40 pm

As a Chiefs fan, I really want to see us trade up and pick RG3 in the draft. If that isn't gonna happen, then signing Manning would be nice. Just... we've done this before with Joe Montana, and it didn't lead to any Superbowls. The window is really short for a QB at the end of his career in the NFL, and some of the QB prospects and rookies (Cam Newton, wow) sure look good coming out of college these days. Hard not to want to develop your own franchise guy.

The Jets, heh, adding Manning totally fits their M.O., if they can keep up the high-caliber defense for a couple of years.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:41 pm

First, I don't think the Jets OL can keep Peyton upright, unlike Miami's. If I were coming back after having neck fusion surgery, I'd want to be behind the best OL I could find. Of the players, that's Miami.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
First, I don't think the Jets OL can keep Peyton upright, unlike Miami's. If I were coming back after having neck fusion surgery, I'd want to be behind the best OL I could find. Of the players, that's Miami.

Have you seen the Colt's line the past few years? They couldn't keep a Redwood up, but Manning did fine behind them.

lex-ington
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Well . . . it appears that more than 1/3 of the NFL has contacted Manning to play for them next year. Must be nice to have such interest still showing.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 pm

There are no more than five teams in the league that wouldn't be better off with a healthy Peyton Manning than with their current quarterback. However, will he ever be healthy again?

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:07 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
There are no more than five teams in the league that wouldn't be better off with a healthy Peyton Manning than with their current quarterback. However, will he ever be healthy again?

Are there even that many? Green Bay, New Orleans, New England.....and who else?

Edit: I suppose you could make a case for Pittsburgh and maybe Detroit and the Giants. I wouldn't make that case, but I suppose it could be made.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:20 am

If Manning gets a similar injury, couldn't he be paralyzed? That's what I've heard. If I were him, I would just take the money I had and play golf, volunteer, travel, whatever.

It would be ironic to be rich but unable to fully enjoy it because you came back and got paralyzed.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:29 am

idchafee wrote:
Edit: I suppose you could make a case for Pittsburgh

With that O-line? He'd be carted off in a body bag in the first quarter.

Anarchist
Gerbil

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:44 am

hopefully the Jets can maintain some level of sanity and stick with Sanchez. If you can't give a quarterback 5 years to develop then you shouldn't be drafting them in the first round.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 am

idchafee wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
Are there even that many? Green Bay, New Orleans, New England.....and who else? I suppose you could make a case for Pittsburgh and maybe Detroit and the Giants. I wouldn't make that case, but I suppose it could be made.
Green Bay, New England and New Orleans, for certain. Maybe Pittsburgh and San Diego. I might also consider Detroit or Carolina for their youth.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... /year/2011
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... /year/2010
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... /year/2009

lex-ington
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:01 pm

With the amount of movement that's about to take place in the NFL, maybe only New England will sit this one out since they only really deal with players that other teams consider bench warmers anyways.

Brandon Jacobs cut loose? Half of Indy now gone. Other teams looking at ways to cut salaries to get cap space . . . like Carson Palmer and the Raiders . . . .

I think the Texans have an excellent chance to win their division at least, even the AFC title. . . . .depending of course on who ends up where

Kevin
Administrator

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:54 pm

The Vikings shed players today, might not resign any of their free agents. Pretty interesting off-season so far.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:15 pm

This just in, Buffalo is resigning their free agents.
Hell has frozen over and Manning will go to Miami
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:28 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
If Manning gets a similar injury, couldn't he be paralyzed? That's what I've heard. If I were him, I would just take the money I had and play golf, volunteer, travel, whatever.

It would be ironic to be rich but unable to fully enjoy it because you came back and got paralyzed.

From what I understand he's either healthy and can play without any additional worries, or he isn't and shouldn't be anywhere near an NFL team.

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:04 am

Jacobs release from the giants was foretold (combination of an aging declining back and a high cap number). With the Mark Sanchez extension there is now no chance Peyton ends up anywhere near New York City.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 am

So Denver it is, I see.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Now where will Tebow go? :lol: Rumor says perhaps as another team's backup?
i5-9600K · Z390 Aorus Pro · 16GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 · MSI TwinFrozr HD7850 · Intel 760p 512GB · WD 1TB · HP ZR24w · Corsair VX450 · Antec Solo · Win10/Ubuntu 18.10

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:07 pm

nerdrage wrote:
Now where will Tebow go? :lol: Rumor says perhaps as another team's backup?

He should be the option QB. :)

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:50 pm

There's only a couple teams that can have Tebow as a backup without having to completely scrap their offense if he has to play. Any team that has a pocket-passer based offense can't use him. That leaves what, maybe 4-5 teams that would take him as a backup?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:05 am

He could go pretty much everywhere with a terrible O-line and his ability to escape would make them much better without fixing anything else. Of course, by the time he's 30 he'll be reduced to reading coloring books from all the brain trauma. I think I just drew up an offensive scheme where "failure" is intentional.

For instance, St. Louis - "Pocket passer" pretty much describes Sam Bradford but they can't give him time to read and throw.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:20 am

Submitted without comment:

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 am

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:28 am

Honestly, I think Denver will regret this whole thing by the end of the season.

Tebow needs some serious work if he's ever going to be a successful QB but he has that potential. He might end up being a wash - it's hard to say.

But Manning is not the answer. He's old, he's been injury prone in the past few years, and his arm isn't what it once was - and isn't likely to be again. And, something a lot of people seem to be overlooking, the success of the Colts was due in large part to the entire offense being tailored to Manning, both in terms of personnel and plays.

My prediction is that Manning is plagued by health issues all next season, his arm is never where it needs to be, and the Broncos end up maybe making the playoffs but nothing past that, and then Manning quietly retires.

Manning was great, and is a sure HOFer, but he's way too old and banged up to be the savior they're obviously expecting him to be. I'd have given Tebow another season or two - probably as a backup - and focused on his throw mechanics.

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:15 am

cphite wrote:
But Manning is not the answer. He's old, he's been injury prone in the past few years

He hadn't missed a game until last year