Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:12 am

Ahhh, I was about to say. Ya I realize they don't count towards the post count, just notice you posting on everything in there and assumed that meant you posted on the forum side as well... I guess that's what I get for assuming :P

Ohhh.. Drinking Mountain Dew :P
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Pez
Gerbil

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:49 am

Monster Khaos. Struggling with a hangover from hell after yesterdays Shenanigans
i5-4670k @ 4.4GHz - ASUS Maximus Gene VI - Sapphire Radeon FURY - Custom Watercooling - Corsair 350D
Acid Techno DJ

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:03 am

NeelyCam wrote:
Overall, the stuff I have every morning tastes better than the Starbucks stuff (IMO), and is way cheaper.

That shouldn't be too hard to achieve.

I'm also drinking coffee right now. Stumptown if you were wondering.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:31 am

NeelyCam wrote:
I also triple-filter the water... because I can. (The coffee maker has a small filter in it - I add a second one over the ground coffee, and I fill the coffee maker with filtered water.)

Welch wrote:
BTW, I tried that filter on top of the coffee grounds.... It makes a noticeable difference, mostly because I'm not using any filtered water as I don't own a filter :O. I've been trying to find someone who sells an actual distiller, but apparently everyone (including sears) stopped carrying them>>>?

Water is a very intense science. So many factors - you wouldn't believe it.

Get your water tested. You need to know if it's hard or soft. Then the levels of magnesium, calcium, and alkalinity ion concentrations.

The endzeit basically is you need a pH level that would make even Folder's coffee taste like the best coffee you ever drank.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:27 pm

drinking St. Bernardus Abt 12 in their logo'd glass:

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:35 am

no one else has been drinking anything of interest eh? cool.

...having me a bottle of Weihenstephan Korbinian from the recommendation of JBI :D

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:11 am

thegleek wrote:
...having me a bottle of Weihenstephan Korbinian from the recommendation of JBI :D

So whatcha think?

I'm having an overcarbonated Coconut Porter (homebrew). It tried to climb out of the bottle when I opened it, and I only was able to get half of it poured into my glass due to the massive head.

Preparations for the DMC are going reasonably well, though between that and a crunch at work I'm not getting much sleep this week. Things that are currently making me crazy: bugs in Quartus II; bugs in BCOE&M; and beer judges who sign up or cancel 3 days before a competition!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:26 am

just brew it! wrote:
thegleek wrote:
So whatcha think?

Interesting double bock that's a world class example of the 5C style for sure! I still prefer the Augustiner Maximator over the Korbinian only because I prefer the intense sweet malty flavors and less bitterness.

just brew it! wrote:
Preparations for the DMC are going reasonably well

If you need help next year, do you welcome folks from the Michigan area? I'd love to enter some of my homebrews, judge and help you out if you need any help.

just brew it! wrote:
Things that are currently making me crazy: bugs in Quartus II;

What is this software used for? Your work or the beer competition?

just brew it! wrote:
bugs in BCOE&M; and beer judges who sign up or cancel 3 days before a competition!

This software I am familiar with... Most comps use it because it's open source, easy to install, setup, and use. I know a few local clubs around here that built their own competition software system (example: http://www.beerstofear.com/comphost/index.php ) ground up and a lot of people prefer it over the BCOEM.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 am

thegleek wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Things that are currently making me crazy: bugs in Quartus II;

What is this software used for? Your work or the beer competition?

Altera is a FPGA/DSP vendor. I'm wearing my "hardware guy" hat at work this month, attempting to design part of a custom digital video processing FPGA.

I suppose you could make a computerized brewing system that is partially controlled by FPGAs... :wink:

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:26 pm

thegleek wrote:
If you need help next year, do you welcome folks from the Michigan area? I'd love to enter some of my homebrews, judge and help you out if you need any help.

We welcome entries from anywhere. We do prefer our judges to be BJCP certified, or at least working towards passing the BJCP exam; spots for novice/apprentice judges fill up quickly because we need to maintain a reasonable ratio of BJCP to non-BJCP judges.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
thegleek wrote:

We welcome entries from anywhere. We do prefer our judges to be BJCP certified, or at least working towards passing the BJCP exam; spots for novice/apprentice judges fill up quickly because we need to maintain a reasonable ratio of BJCP to non-BJCP judges.

No problem. I am 3/4 into my BJCP class right now. By the time your comp comes up again next year, I should have my Apprentice/Recognized/Certified ranking.

I have judged 2 major (>1000 entries) competitions (Wizard of Saaz in Akron OH, and the Homebrew at the W.E.B. in Frankenmuth MI). I have about 5-6 flights of experience in a variety of cats (4, 7, 8, 19, and 21) so far. I have judged a mini-boss with the famous John Palmer too! :D

I also judge our COC for my homebrew club (C.R.A.F.T.) every month.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Yeah, if you've got your BJCP rank by next year (or even if you don't, as long as you're still serious about going for it...) come on down! We try to pair less experienced judges with Certified or National judges, so it's a learning experience.

We sometimes get a few judges from Michigan and Ohio. Do you know any of the guys in the Ann Arbor Brewers Guild?

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, if you've got your BJCP rank by next year (or even if you don't, as long as you're still serious about going for it...) come on down! We try to pair less experienced judges with Certified or National judges, so it's a learning experience.

We sometimes get a few judges from Michigan and Ohio. Do you know any of the guys in the Ann Arbor Brewers Guild?

Just a couple --- I was paired up with Jeff Rankert at the recent W.E.B. comp! I also know Fred Bonjour, who is the one teaching the BJCP class.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:08 pm

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 pm

i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:19 pm

Lakefront Brewery (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) Fuel Cafe coffee stout. Still the best coffee stout I've found. Very hard to find though, even in Milwaukee/Madison area so it's a treat when I get some.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Lakefront Brewery (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) Fuel Cafe coffee stout. Still the best coffee stout I've found. Very hard to find though, even in Milwaukee/Madison area so it's a treat when I get some.

Yeah, didja know that ALL coffee stouts fit into only the 21A (Spice, Herb, or Vegetable beer) bjcp category? yup. true story.

Other commercial examples of stout beers:

13A (dry stout): Guinness Draught Stout, Murphy's Stout, Beamish Stout, O’Hara’s Celtic Stout, Russian River O.V.L. Stout, Three Floyd’s Black Sun Stout, Dorothy Goodbody’s Wholesome Stout, Orkney Dragonhead Stout, Old Dominion Stout, Goose Island Dublin Stout, Brooklyn Dry Stout

13B (sweet stout): Mackeson's XXX Stout, Watney's Cream Stout, Farson’s Lacto Stout, St. Peter’s Cream Stout, Marston’s Oyster Stout, Sheaf Stout, Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto), Samuel Adams Cream Stout, Left Hand Milk Stout, Widmer Snowplow Milk Stout

13C (oatmeal stout): Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Young's Oatmeal Stout, McAuslan Oatmeal Stout, Maclay’s Oat Malt Stout, Broughton Kinmount Willie Oatmeal Stout, Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, Tröegs Oatmeal Stout, New Holland The Poet, Goose Island Oatmeal Stout, Wolaver’s Oatmeal Stout

13D (foreign extra stout, tropical-type): Lion Stout (Sri Lanka), Dragon Stout (Jamaica), ABC Stout (Singapore), Royal Extra “The Lion Stout” (Trinidad), Jamaica Stout (Jamaica)

13D (foreign extra stout, export-type): Freeminer Deep Shaft Stout, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, Ridgeway of Oxfordshire Foreign Extra Stout, Coopers Best Extra Stout, Elysian Dragonstooth Stout

13E (american stout): Rogue Shakespeare Stout, Deschutes Obsidian Stout, Sierra Nevada Stout, North Coast Old No. 38, Bar Harbor Cadillac Mountain Stout, Avery Out of Bounds Stout, Lost Coast 8 Ball Stout, Mad River Steelhead Extra Stout

13F (russian imperial stout): Three Floyd’s Dark Lord, Bell’s Expedition Stout, North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, Stone Imperial Stout, Samuel Smith Imperial Stout, Scotch Irish Tsarina Katarina Imperial Stout, Thirsty Dog Siberian Night, Deschutes The Abyss, Great Divide Yeti, Southampton Russian Imperial Stout, Rogue Imperial Stout, Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout, Great Lakes Blackout Stout, Avery The Czar, Founders Imperial Stout, Victory Storm King, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

21A (spice, herb, or vegetable): Alesmith Speedway Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, Young’s Double Chocolate Stout, Bell’s Java Stout, Redhook Double Black Stout, Rogue Chocolate Stout

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:54 pm

just brew it! wrote:
NeelyCam wrote:
Getting ready to open a Hair Of The Dog "Blue Dot". The best IPA I ever tasted, and yes - I think it's better than Pliny the Elder (which is what I drink whenever I go to ISSCC)

Mmm... insanely hoppy IPAs! :D

Yes - and I just opened another Blue Dot. I still have half of the case left..

Mmm mmm good. Rye malt IPA. Mmmm

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:19 am

just wanna say i'm crunked after a COC beer testing event.. 10-20 beers. 10+ means, and various other sutffds., so gpood yum!

beers: dogfish palo wood, bardic wells meaderys (4-5 different meads), saugatauk neopolitan stout, dogfish pangaea. goose island lolita, homemeads oh my!

got some dorito taco's and other stuff ot keep me vbalanced yay

KeillRandor
Gerbil

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:20 am

:(

I'm feeling a little more depressed, now - (actually, I probably shouldn't joke about that :( ) - that everyone else manages to find far more interesting things to drink than I do.

Unfortunately, I don't like coffee, don't drink alcohol, and need to add far too much sweetener to tea to make it worthwhile, so I'm stuck with squash or sugar free pop/soda.

Currently drinking 7up free...
It's 15 parsecs to Kessel, we've replaced the negative power-coupling, it's dark and we're wearing welding goggles. Hit it.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:01 am

KeillRandor wrote:
:(

I'm feeling a little more depressed, now - (actually, I probably shouldn't joke about that :( ) - that everyone else manages to find far more interesting things to drink than I do.

Unfortunately, I don't like coffee, don't drink alcohol, and need to add far too much sweetener to tea to make it worthwhile, so I'm stuck with squash or sugar free pop/soda.

Currently drinking 7up free...

wait.

1. wtf is squash soda? are you referring to the squash vegetable? if so, in what way?

2. are you diabetic or something? why not drink sugary drinks? SO GOOD... so YUM! nom nom nom

3. beer rules. what is it u don't like about it?

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:47 am

NeelyCam wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
NeelyCam wrote:
Getting ready to open a Hair Of The Dog "Blue Dot". The best IPA I ever tasted, and yes - I think it's better than Pliny the Elder (which is what I drink whenever I go to ISSCC)

Mmm... insanely hoppy IPAs! :D

Yes - and I just opened another Blue Dot. I still have half of the case left..

Mmm mmm good. Rye malt IPA. Mmmm

I'm onto... what is this.. "Hyatt Vineyards Merlot" 2005.?
It tastes OK, but the next item on the menu, Hopworks IPA, sound more appealing

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Last night was a 2008 Old Guardian and 2 Turtle Doves. I love you, 1702.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Talisker 10 year old!
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:27 pm

NeelyCam wrote:
Welch wrote:
I am currently drinking home brewed coffee called "Golden Mocha Sunrise". Not pre-ground, I grind it each time I'm making a cup/pot. Its freaking awesome! Its carried by a single little mom and pops store here in my town.

My coffee is roasted by a local small-time roastery; they use only organic beans, and my favorite is an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. Grinding your beans at home is awesome; you really can taste the difference. I also triple-filter the water... because I can. (The coffee maker has a small filter in it - I add a second one over the ground coffee, and I fill the coffee maker with filtered water.)

Overall, the stuff I have every morning tastes better than the Starbucks stuff (IMO), and is way cheaper. Considering how addicted I am to that stuff, the last bit is particularly important..

The grinder is quite important. The electric spice grinders just smash the beans to bits and quite high local temperatures are generated. A hand driven, or if you want to spend a lot of money electric, grinding stone type grinder will crush the beans in a much more benign manner.

You can easily taste the difference.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:16 pm

PenGun wrote:
NeelyCam wrote:
Welch wrote:
I am currently drinking home brewed coffee called "Golden Mocha Sunrise". Not pre-ground, I grind it each time I'm making a cup/pot. Its freaking awesome! Its carried by a single little mom and pops store here in my town.

My coffee is roasted by a local small-time roastery; they use only organic beans, and my favorite is an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. Grinding your beans at home is awesome; you really can taste the difference. I also triple-filter the water... because I can. (The coffee maker has a small filter in it - I add a second one over the ground coffee, and I fill the coffee maker with filtered water.)

Overall, the stuff I have every morning tastes better than the Starbucks stuff (IMO), and is way cheaper. Considering how addicted I am to that stuff, the last bit is particularly important..

The grinder is quite important. The electric spice grinders just smash the beans to bits and quite high local temperatures are generated. A hand driven, or if you want to spend a lot of money electric, grinding stone type grinder will crush the beans in a much more benign manner.

You can easily taste the difference.

Look for burr grinders.

Roasted beans, unground, lose something like 50% of their flavor after 30 days. Freezing actually makes things worse, because the oils get all pissy about it. You don't want to let ground bean sit for more than 5 minutes before you brew.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:22 pm

Oi, you lot sure do spend much more time than necessary on the morning caffeine extract. :wink:
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Oi, you lot sure do spend much more time than necessary on the morning caffeine extract. :wink:

I have a good coffee shop that does it for me. I have a decent burr grinder, and a nice french press that I haven't used in over a year. I make my own tea, and am even more anal about that, but it's less time consuming, less expensive, and more difficult to find someone else to do it adequately.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Drinking Blue Moon with a slice of naval ORANGE!!!!!!! Not lemon<<<. I hate when people serve that with lemon, totally wrong.

I was curious is there a large difference in making coffee the normal way and a french press. I understand the basic concept behind it, I guess what I mean is, what sort of flavor difference does it have? Is it strong, weaker, brighter, what?

Has anyone tried the Shocktop "Wheat IPA". Seemed to me to be a totally bassakwards sort of thing, but was curious if its any good for those who have tried it. And if you tried it and liked (or hated) it.... What are your favorites that you'd compare it to?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x