Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: dymt reloaded

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:14 pm

thegleek wrote:
Dizik wrote:
we wound up at a strip club and one of the dancers was a girl I knew in jr. high. :D

so free lap dances, bonuses? yay!

I'm sure you don't have a daughter. :evil:
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:52 pm

JJCDAD wrote:
This was brought in to the shop the other day....they wanted to know if it was worth fixing. :D

<pic>

I love how the letters in "RESET" aren't even molded into the plastic straight. Must've been a really high quality system back in the day! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:
JJCDAD wrote:
This was brought in to the shop the other day....they wanted to know if it was worth fixing. :D

<pic>
I love how the letters in "RESET" aren't even molded into the plastic straight. Must've been a really high quality system back in the day! :lol:

Sorta looks like an old Packard Bell case.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
thegleek wrote:
Dizik wrote:
we wound up at a strip club and one of the dancers was a girl I knew in jr. high. :D

so free lap dances, bonuses? yay!

Having a baby girl totally changed my view of these establishments. And after a little bit of thought, of the people I know who I know go to them, none of them have daughters. There are probably exceptions, I'm sure.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm still considering being a stripper. I like poles.
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Sorta looks like an old Packard Bell case.

Maybe, but judging by the label, it's a generic case. My parents had something similar for our K6-233.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Having a baby girl totally changed my view of these establishments. And after a little bit of thought, of the people I know who I know go to them, none of them have daughters. There are probably exceptions, I'm sure.

I've never been to one. Perhaps the fact that I got married and had a daughter shortly after turning 21 has something to do with it...

Was just talking to one of the other organizers of the homebrew competition yesterday, and he has much the same sentiment. He was supposed to go to a bachelor party at a strip club, but was quite happy to have the excuse of "I can't come, I have to help run this huge homebrew competition".

Speaking of which, the competition went great. Some minor glitches due to bugs in the new competition management system we were using, but nothing that affected the judging of the entries. Neither of my own entries took a medal, but one of them scored well enough that I think I will re-enter it in another competition being held by another local club in a couple of weeks.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:27 pm

I've been to Montreal many times, mainly because it's close. I've not been since my daughter came into my life, at least for "that" purpose. Montreal is a great family weekend getaway spot.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
You've got a Socket 7 motherboard with a 1st-gen P5 Pentium processor under that miniscule HSF. It'd make an OK DOS box for old games, but that's about all it'll do (fully expecting the -ix and BSD crazies here to disagree).

Heh, ISA slots. That brings back memories. Hercules video boards, ISA style!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:28 pm

The MSI K7Pro that was running my home file server until just a couple of years ago had an ISA slot!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:08 am

Our Federal gov't at work (don't worry, not R&P):

One of the Federal agencies I must work with in the day job provides us laptops to ensure that we do our work to their standards with their tools. I just unwrapped my shiny new Lenovo T520 with a quad-core i5-2520M, 8GB of RAM, and Windows 7 Enterprise...

32-bit version.

Doh!!!!!!

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:40 am

Heh. At least our power users get 64-bit...

XP.

(Well, the ones who haven't switched to Ubuntu or Debian...)

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:05 am

just brew it! wrote:
Heh. At least our power users get 64-bit...

XP.

I don't understand. Windows XP is EOL'd. Even with extended support you got until 2014, but what idiots paid for extended support on XP?!

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:05 am

How is/was XP 64? I have a few licenses for it sitting around that I've never touched - i remember when it launched apparently it had abysmal app support, is that still the case?
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:10 am

pikaporeon wrote:
How is/was XP 64? I have a few licenses for it sitting around that I've never touched - i remember when it launched apparently it had abysmal app support, is that still the case?

32-bit XP apps will run on 64-bit XP. Native 64-bit app and driver support is indeed rather poor, but if you happen to be a power user of one of the few that are actually available (e.g SolidWorks...) it's a step up from 32-bit. Provided you can get drivers for all of your hardware. (Printer drivers have been particularly problematic.)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 am

Captain Ned wrote:
quad-core i5-2520M,

aren't all mobile i5's dual-core with HT and Turbo? Not meaning ot nitpick; it'd be pretty great if they had a real quad lower down the totem pole now.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:15 am

I just never got the point of strip clubs post internet. Expensive, loud, and look but no touch. Why go spend money on that when the internet is available?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
quad-core i5-2520M,

aren't all mobile i5's dual-core with HT and Turbo? Not meaning ot nitpick; it'd be pretty great if they had a real quad lower down the totem pole now.

A bit of poking confirms you're right. The boffins at Agency X have configured a BGInfo overlay on the desktop that says "Quad 2.50 GHz Intel Core i%-2520M". Guess they fell for the hype.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:55 am

What gets me is how many subsystems in Windows require kernel-level drivers, that can't be 32-bit.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:32 pm

annabel wrote:

That whole lifestyle is a short walk down a short pier. I've got an extended family member near your age who is currently selling herself in Las Vegas. The negative impact on the family is not trivial. You only get one body, and some of the things you can do to it can't be taken back later.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:37 pm

annabel wrote:

How about lecherous old men?

Ludi has it right, it's not something you want to get involved with.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Strip clubs aren't my favorite place either, but I don't condemn them like a lot of other people. I'm not a fan of clubs period, regardless of the amount of clothes people may or may not have on. However, the 15 year old in me found it completely awesome that I got a lapdance from a girl that I had a crush on 15 years ago. It doesn't hurt that she still looks really damn good. ;)
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Dizik wrote:
Strip clubs aren't my favorite place either, but I don't condemn them like a lot of other people. I'm not a fan of clubs period, regardless of the amount of clothes people may or may not have on. However, the 15 year old in me found it completely awesome that I got a lapdance from a girl that I had a crush on 15 years ago. It doesn't hurt that she still looks really damn good. ;)

TY! there is a god! kudos to you sir!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:54 pm

More Agency X follies:

Get the new lappy up and running, doing the best I can to make Win7 look like Win2K (sue me). Go to run Go2MyPC from the browser (I'd be lost if I couldn't use this to get to my home PC for all of those CLM searches) and the browser (IE9) refuses to run the executable. The error log says that signed executables are forbidden (quoi??). If I simply download the viewer from Go2MyPC it runs perfectly and I even have a desktop shortcut to my home box.

Whoever these boffins are, they're much more Beakers than Boffins.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:14 am

Dizik wrote:
However, the 15 year old in me found it completely awesome that I got a lapdance from a girl that I had a crush on 15 years ago. It doesn't hurt that she still looks really damn good. ;)
It's also nice to see how "successful" these types are after they leave high school. In another 15 years, when her looks are shot, maybe you'll get extra lucky and she'll serve you a Grand Slam at Denny's. :wink:

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:04 am

Vrock wrote:
Dizik wrote:
However, the 15 year old in me found it completely awesome that I got a lapdance from a girl that I had a crush on 15 years ago. It doesn't hurt that she still looks really damn good. ;)
It's also nice to see how "successful" these types are after they leave high school. In another 15 years, when her looks are shot, maybe you'll get extra lucky and she'll serve you a Grand Slam at Denny's. :wink:
Don't rain on my parade, dude. ;)
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Don't worry as all the 'dancing' will keep her bod hard. You'll just have to drink more until she looks 15yr younger. :D

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:17 pm

BiffStroganoffsky wrote:
Don't worry as all the 'dancing' will keep her bod hard. You'll just have to drink more until she looks 15yr younger. :D

If getting really drunk then going to Denny's for a Grand Slam so you can ogle the waitresses is your idea of a good time, who am I to stop you... :lol:

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Sometimes work can be frustrating. Situation here from work:

*I'm at my desk*
*Sister company contact walks in *
contact : Hi, could see about getting someone up and running for me?
Me : Sure, who is it?
Me : I can't find anyone with that name, or any close variant. Do you have their ID number?
Me : That's not a valid ID number. Do you have their phone number?
Me : Okay, well....I guess maybe I could check what system they are on. What system do they use?
Me : Uhm....okay. Well what's wrong? Is it a general local set up issue? An install we did maybe?
Me : Do you have any way for me to get a hold of them? Where are they located?
Me : How? I have a name. A name I can't find. All I know is that someone, somewhere may or may not have a problem.
Me : Uh...sure?
**Google'd the name**

As a point of interest I found a Dr. an IMDB profile and some twitter accounts.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:31 pm

@MaxTheLimit - At this point you just put a big "not my problem" field around it, and pretend it didn't happen...