Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Re: The BEST beer, liquor, wine and champagne you have ever

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:49 pm

I'm sorry to say it, but I have yet to find a Lagunitas brew I've enjoyed. I've had the Censored, A Little Sumpin' Sumpin', and Brown Shugga'. I wanted to like them, and every one of them had an off taste that took my anticipation and just killed it.

I've had a few Dogfish Head brews that didn't live up to my expectations either (though their IPAs are the only ones I like in that category other than New Holland's Imperial Hatter, and their Palo Santo Marron isn't bad if given time to mellow a little). Maybe it's just me, many people like both breweries, but they just don't wow me the way some other brews I've had do.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:44 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
I've had a few Dogfish Head brews that didn't live up to my expectations either (though their IPAs are the only ones I like in that category other than New Holland's Imperial Hatter, and their Palo Santo Marron isn't bad if given time to mellow a little). Maybe it's just me, many people like both breweries, but they just don't wow me the way some other brews I've had do.

Dogfish is not your ordinary brewery. A lot of places are following suit (in Michigan we have a lot: Right Brain, Short's, Bell's, Dark Horse, Kuhnhenn's, Dragonmead, etc... that don't follow the norms of brewing for the masses).

I've wasted tons of $ on expensive beers from Dogfish that were just terrible and undrinkable! These include:

Raison D'Etre, Black & Blue, Hellhound On My Ale, Midas Touch, My Antonia, Namaste, Aprihop, Chicory Stout, Festina Peche, Pangaea, Red & White, Chateau Jiahu and Sah'tea. (the last 2 were by far the worst of the bunch!)

Now, on the flip side, these beers I've had from Dogfish were absolutely INCREDIBLE and would most definitely purchase and consume again:

Raison d'Extra, World Wide Stout, Ta Henket, 60/90/120 Minute IPA's, Indian Brown Ale, Burton Baton, Immort Ale, and Life & Limb.

The rest are either ok-ok/so-so or I haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet (and a lot aren't available outside the Rehoboth, Delaware area).

Oh and we did a 14-hour road trip out to their brewery, here's a pic of us with Mr. Sam C himself:

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:31 pm

druidcent wrote:
bthylafh wrote:
Liquor? Bowmore 12 when it's out of a fresh bottle. Call me crazy but there's something about the mix of band-aids and smoke. Laphroaig 10 would be my next pick.

Don't really care for beer or wine, though.

You've got to try Smokehead... absolutely amazing.. smoky and smooth...

Lagavulin. I'm sure you can find the 16 for 50-70 bucks locally somewhere. Almost like drinking liquid smoke.

All nice choices above.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

PrecambrianRabbit
Gerbil

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:30 am

BuddhistFish wrote:
Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale - If you find this one on tap, avoid the Aged In Bourbon Barrels version. I found it to be too heavy on the spruce and pine flavors.

I wonder if extremity is what Stone shoots for in their beers. I had their Ruination IPA recently, and even though I love hops generally (Dogfish Head 90 is one of my all-time favorites), I just felt assailed by the bitterness. It's possible my palate just wasn't up to the challenge that night, but damn.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:39 am

Yeah, Stone ain't subtle, that's for sure. And that can be a good thing, when you're in the mood for it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:17 am

Talisker 18-year is my fav Scotch (that I've tried, I'm still relatively new to the whisky circuit), Maker's Mark is my fav bourbon (common and everywhere, I know, nothing special about it, but it still tastes lovely and I heart it despite having tried 15 or 20 different kinds), Chateau Ste. Michelle Chardonnay is my favorite easily-accessible, you-can-buy-it-almost-anywhere wine, and I've only had one or two kinds of champagne and I don't recall what kinds they were. Pomona Winery in southern Illinois has a lovely array of wines made from almost anything but grapes; they have a tasty blueberry port that I like and a few different apple wines that are wonderful, but their stuff is hard to find if you're too far from the Land of Lincoln south of I-64.

There are a few different ways to drink beer and I have different preferences depending on what I'm doing. For guzzling beer after beer on a hot day and getting buzzed by the pool I like good ol' Budweiser. As an occasional treat more for sipping I really like Three Philosophers. Goose Island's 312 is also yummy and relatively easy to find, and Heineken is good any time. Really do not care for stouts/dark/hoppy beer as my palette is pretty sensitive to bitter flavors
GO CARDINALS!

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:34 am

Rakhmaninov3 wrote:
There are a few different ways to drink beer and I have different preferences depending on what I'm doing. For guzzling beer after beer on a hot day and getting buzzed by the pool I like good ol' Budweiser. As an occasional treat more for sipping I really like Three Philosophers. Goose Island's 312 is also yummy and relatively easy to find, and Heineken is good any time. Really do not care for stouts/dark/hoppy beer as my palette is pretty sensitive to bitter flavors

You used the words "good" and "Budweiser" in the same sentence. I'm certain that's a paradox. It's always been my opinion, that Budweiser filters their beer through those Clydesdale horses they breed. That's the only way I can explain the water-like mouth-feel and flavor.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:55 am

just brew it! wrote:
Ever made an ice cream float with it? Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. (Though I actually prefer to use a heavier/stronger Stout like North Coast Old Rasputin for beer floats... mmm... beer for dessert!)
Guinness floats are amazing. I know you're not a huge fan of Lindemans Framboise, but you should try it in a float sometime. The sweetness and tartness of the beer pairs really well with vanilla ice cream.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:20 am

Champagne: Ruinart - Blanc de Blancs

Absolutely stunning. Knocks you over your heels and you stand up and get shocked that champagne actually has a distinct taste and variety. Everything else sucks once you've tried it though. So be warned!
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:54 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Lagavulin. I'm sure you can find the 16 for 50-70 bucks locally somewhere. Almost like drinking liquid smoke.

Lagavulin 16 is good (though it's usually around $100), but no. Liquid smoke, among the ones I've tried, is undoubtedly Bowmore 12.

I've been known to take a few deep whiffs of an emptied B12 glass because it smells so strongly of smoke, not too unlike my father's old woodstove.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:23 am

yogibbear wrote:
Champagne: Ruinart - Blanc de Blancs

Absolutely stunning. Knocks you over your heels and you stand up and get shocked that champagne actually has a distinct taste and variety. Everything else sucks once you've tried it though. So be warned!

Not into champagne at all. ever... but ( http://www.snooth.com/wine/ruinart-cham ... nd-cru-nv/ ) the reviews look good on that one... not cheap @ $50-80 a bottle, but better spent $ over dom i bet... I've had some Veuve Clicquot on a cruise once. it was okay.

I think a $5.99 bottle of Verdi Spumante tastes better. but from a non-wine expert, i guess that's close home to saying Budweiser is better then a beer from the Trappist monks. :roll:

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, Stone ain't subtle, that's for sure. And that can be a good thing, when you're in the mood for it.

That probably explains why I enjoy Founder's Old Curmudgeon. I think they named it after me.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:21 pm

The is an absolutely fabulous sparkling wine. Bricco Reilla's Moscato d'Asti is unbelievably good. And at ~$10 a bottle, its my hands down best value wine. My wife simply adores this, and I enjoy it as well.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:21 am

haugland wrote:

Just had some of this beer couple of nights ago, good stuff - but far from the best Belgium 12 I've had... still. drinkable. enjoyable.

vince
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:19 pm

About beer... I'm not a big connoisseur, but one thing I have to say: the best beers are brewed in the province of Québec.

I used to dislike beer (when I only knew the "common" cheap ones like Labatt's, Coors, etc), but that's until I tried microbrewery beers. I don't like all of them, simply because I'm not a beer guy, but there are many that I can say I truly enjoy. Talking about some beers from Dieu du Ciel, and The Three Brewers, and mostly, Les Brasseurs du Temps.

I would expect these are extremely hard to find in the States, if simply impossible. Simply because they have a hard time supplying the Quebecois to start with :wink:
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work unless it's open"... Frank Zappa

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Pretty much the only Canadian craft beer that is widely available down here is Unibroue.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:01 pm

vince wrote:
Talking about some beers from Dieu du Ciel, and The Three Brewers, and mostly, Les Brasseurs du Temps.

I would expect these are extremely hard to find in the States, if simply impossible. Simply because they have a hard time supplying the Quebecois to start with :wink:

Yeah interesting... I so need to make a trip out to Montreal one of these days.. They have a lot of breweries within the city/outskirts there...

One beer I did purchase recently is from a place called Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel, one of the places you mentioned above, and the beer I got is called: Route des épices ($4.99 for 1 bottle).

Haven't opened it yet, but it is a rye beer brewed with peppercorns @ 5% abv.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:14 pm

What can I say, I have a really soft spot for the Lagavulin 16... it's not the smokiest by any measure, but it's darn good and my personal favorite. And while I like a variety of different ones... Oban, Laphroaig, Bowmore(12 is better than 17 for me) and certainly Caol Ila 18, the Lagavulin just has a better taste and is more well rounded then all of them.

As for bears... Brew Dog's Punk IPA is gorgous for an IPA, although most of their stuff is great... and the Belgian Trappist Chimay(red) is probably my favorite of the darker varieties.

If you go for Champagne, it definitly is Pol Roger thats my favorite, and on second place you have the Piper Heidsieck.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Aphasia wrote:
What can I say, I have a really soft spot for the Lagavulin 16... it's not the smokiest by any measure, but it's darn good and my personal favorite. And while I like a variety of different ones... Oban, Laphroaig, Bowmore(12 is better than 17 for me) and certainly Caol Ila 18, the Lagavulin just has a better taste and is more well rounded then all of them.

I'm a sucker for going to -high end- bars/restaurants only to try some of the very top shelf scotches... Usually won't purchase any less then 18 years... All the rest of the n00blar elf restaurants/clubs in the world sell the cheap $50 bottles of crap. Life is too short to drink the cheap stuff folks!

vince
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Pretty much the only Canadian craft beer that is widely available down here is Unibroue.

I actually don't like the Unibroue beers very much. The ones I tried anyway. One that I did like though is the Terrible (10.5%). I have heard that it was made available in some places in the States, because for some odd reason, it was selling more there than here in Quebec... o.O

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Aphasia wrote:
As for bears... Brew Dog's Punk IPA is gorgous for an IPA, although most of their stuff is great... and the Belgian Trappist Chimay(red) is probably my favorite of the darker varieties.

Speaking of Trappist-style ales, Sierra Nevada is collaborating with a Cistercian Abbey in California on their Ovila Abbey Ale series. The Quad is very nice... the Dubbel and Saison aren't too shabby either.

vince
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:29 pm

thegleek wrote:
vince wrote:
Talking about some beers from Dieu du Ciel, and The Three Brewers, and mostly, Les Brasseurs du Temps.

Yeah interesting... I so need to make a trip out to Montreal one of these days.. They have a lot of breweries within the city/outskirts there...

One beer I did purchase recently is from a place called Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel, one of the places you mentioned above, and the beer I got is called: Route des épices ($4.99 for 1 bottle).

Haven't opened it yet, but it is a rye beer brewed with peppercorns @ 5% abv.

Yeah those microbrewery beers can be quite expensive. The most expensive one we bought was $7 for a regular 341ml bottle :o

And yes, Montreal and areas have great brewers. The place called The Tree Brewers I mentioned, they don't bottle their beers though. They make it on site only (it's a restaurant also, of course). And the ones I tried the couple of times I went there, were great.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Scotch is my drink. The best ever:
Northport 26 year old. 56% alcohol

Best Champagne:
Piper Heidsieck Brut.

Beer:
A 90 minute Dogfish Head.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Compton
Gerbil

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:31 pm

PenGun wrote:
Scotch is my drink. The best ever:
Northport 26 year old. 56% alcohol

Best Champagne:
Piper Heidsieck Brut.

Beer:
A 90 minute Dogfish Head.

I still have some 90 minute Dogfish head from the last time a gave it a whirl.... not your average beer for certain.

The best beer I've had recently was some Sweetwater Stout -- was unbelievably good.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:29 pm

PenGun wrote:
Scotch is my drink. The best ever: Northport 26 year old. 56% alcohol

http://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/north ... echin.html

Doesn't seem like a very common scotch... How much did that bottle run ya? over $1k USD? or did you just have a dram of it?

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:00 pm

thegleek wrote:
PenGun wrote:
Scotch is my drink. The best ever: Northport 26 year old. 56% alcohol

http://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/north ... echin.html

Doesn't seem like a very common scotch... How much did that bottle run ya? over $1k USD? or did you just have a dram of it?

Was a long time ago. We found one bottle in the liquor store, I think it was around $150, a special deal of some kind. We ordered a case, six, and that was all there was in BC at the time. Never could get any more.

Wonderful stuff. Like honey/nectar and a kick like a mule.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."