Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

in-ear monitoring for live sound

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Can someone explain this to me? :lol:

I'm looking at in-ear monitoring solutions for 4 people, and there's a chance that number could go up to as much as 6. Because of other limitations, we're all going to be stuck getting the same signal to monitor, rather than being able to use multiple sends. Spending the money for it just doesn't make sense for us. So what I don't get is, do I need to look at one transmitter per person, or can I buy a single transmitter and a bunch of receivers that all receive on the same channel? I don't get the physics so I don't know if we're looking at a bunch of interference or not. And since we're talking about signals, I know for a fact there are already two wireless mics already in use and an 802.11g wifi network all in the same 30x70 room. How far apart do all these frequencies need to be before they start interfering with each other? I'm such a n00b.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

morphine
TR Staff

Re: in-ear monitoring for live sound

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:03 pm

If I understood you correctly, you want one of these: JamHub.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:08 pm

My traipse through the various in-ear monitoring systems imply 1 transmitter per frequency in a multiple-feed environment. However, since you've got but one input, I think you could run multiple receivers off a single transmitter. This is probably still too spendy, but is at the bottom end of pro gear lines.

User guide:

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/ ... _psm200_ug

Says bad things about multiple transmitters on the same channel, but nothing about multiple receivers.

EDIT: I've got a set of Shure SE500s as my "coworker isolation devices". Great cans and it bodes well for the downline units that come with this rig. They isolate exceedingly well, so well in fact that you may want one ear only. I can't imagine singing in tune if I can't hear the real soundfield and must rely on the monitors. Besides, no one would wonder "why is he sticking his finger in his ear".

Ahh, crazy chorus days.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:23 pm

I think Captain Ned has more what I'm looking for, but the Jam Hub looks awesome for all kinds of other purposes. Everyone gets to monitor themselves and control their own levels, but it looks like a lot of cords sprawling out of it. I was looking at this getup that includes 4 receivers and one transmitter. The standalone product page for the transmitter says it can transmit up to 8, too. Not sure I'm familiar with Galaxy Audio, though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:27 pm

JamHub + those wireless units would be totally sweet.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:35 pm

morphine wrote:
JamHub + those wireless units would be totally sweet.

JamHub is a great studio idea but I'm pretty sure derFunk is talking about live performances in a church while trying to avoid the old-style wedge monitors at your feet, not how to keep everyone quiet enough in a studio to get some ensemble recording done.

That said, the JamHubs look mighty cool.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Well, he mentioned a 30x70 room so I assumed it was a rehearsal space or a studio :)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:38 pm

morphine wrote:
Well, he mentioned a 30x70 room so I assumed it was a rehearsal space or a studio :)

Ah, so you record full symphonic orchestras in your spare time? :wink:

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
morphine wrote:

Ah, so you record full symphonic orchestras in your spare time? :wink:

No. Symphonic orchestras record me.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:43 pm

morphine wrote:
No. Symphonic orchestras record me.

That's what I tell the wife when I whip off a snarty French Horn part while on the Throne of Wisdom.

EDIT: Sorry 'bout that derFunk, but fart jokes are just welded into my male chromosomes.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:52 am

:lol: It's cool, they're ingrained in me as well. It's like I'm 12.

Yes, the 30' x 70' room is a church sanctuary and the intended purpose is to avoid floor monitors during services. We have a Yamaha StagePas 300 that we're using right now, which is on its last legs. Looking at what replacing it like-for-like is going to cost, we decided to investigate wireless in-ear monitoring as well, and much to my surprise the Galaxy Audio solution is actually less money to start, and if we are successful in finding a real bass player we can always add on.