What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:41 pm

Opening another Blue Dot in 3...2...1...
NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:25 am

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:12 am

Welch wrote:I was curious is there a large difference in making coffee the normal way and a french press. I understand the basic concept behind it, I guess what I mean is, what sort of flavor difference does it have? Is it strong, weaker, brighter, what?


I think you get a much fuller flavor profile. Espresso, to me, is more about the acidity of the bean, and putting that out in the front. A french press extracts everything more or less equally, and displays the entire character of the bean. Good drip is alright, but generally exposes the grounds for too long, and gets kind of bitter and muddy tasting. It's not necessarily bad, depending on the machine, but most of it is ruined by brewing into a heated carafe that just burns the coffee beyond recognition. If you're into trying a lot of different blends and single source beans from different roasters, I'd say a french press is by far the best way to get the most detailed and honest cup. Espresso is just off alone in it's own little world.

Short of spending $1500 on a decent espresso machine for home, when I brewed at home I was happy with a french press. It's $30-$70 for a glass or stainless steel press that has no plastic exposed to the water, and $50 for a cheap burr grinder that gives a fairly consistent coarse grind. When I was in the mood for espresso I'd walk a couple blocks to a good coffee shop.

Unfortunately I don't have much time these days, and have just been drinking espresso. I'm looking forward to breaking out the french press again once I'm done with school and have a little more time on my hands.
Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:50 pm

sippin' on a 22oz of Hoppin' Frog Mean Manalishi Douple IPA bottle that I won at the Wizard of Saaz competition. It's so SO GOOD!!!

oh and 168 IBU's!? holy hops!

fyi: highest IBU beer chart: http://www.beertutor.com/beers/index.php?t=highest_ibu
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7344
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:06 am
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Sophie, Gulden Draak, and... Widdershins, all on tap. Two awesome beers, and one that really pisses me off. Widdershins has awesome malt character, but not near enough of it. To make matters worse, it sacrifices some of it for alcohol, and tries to compensate with hops and toasted malts. The first couple sips were excellent, but I spent the rest of the 10oz sniffing it, chasing the dragon if you will.

Gulden Draak on tap is almost as good as Kwak and St Bernardus ABT 12, though. Better than Delirium Nocturnum, in my opinion. Sophie is the best domestic saison I've had in awhile, unless you count Stillwater. Part of that is probably living out west, though.
Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Ethyriel wrote:Sophie, Gulden Draak, and... Widdershins, all on tap. Two awesome beers, and one that really pisses me off. Widdershins has awesome malt character, but not near enough of it. To make matters worse, it sacrifices some of it for alcohol, and tries to compensate with hops and toasted malts. The first couple sips were excellent, but I spent the rest of the 10oz sniffing it, chasing the dragon if you will.

Gulden Draak on tap is almost as good as Kwak and St Bernardus ABT 12, though. Better than Delirium Nocturnum, in my opinion. Sophie is the best domestic saison I've had in awhile, unless you count Stillwater. Part of that is probably living out west, though.

yeah lucky you!!!! never had stillwater. dont think they distribute that beer to michigan area. we the rest we have in bottles, but never seen any gulden draak or sophie on tap at any bar here. finally, never heard of widdershins in my life. st bernardus abt 12 is okay, only cuz i've drank from the godly nectar they call westvleteren 12.
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7344
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:06 am
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:00 am

This is sad for me to say but......... One of the more drinkable beer for me is Shocktop Raspberry Wheat. Its a fruity like beer, but its good from start to finish, and as cold as possible.

Another interesting one from a local restaurant/brewery is the "40 Below Nitro" A good amount of alcohol in it without going too overboard for me. Its a bit strong, but I enjoy it with the restaurants home made pretzels or Artichoke dip and flat-bread. Good start to a meal. http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/silver-gul ... ut/131320/

40 below NITRO
(Nitro Imperial Stout)
An Imperial Stout with an intense flavor of bittersweet chocolate and a hint of raisins and dates. A full-bodied brew with a velvety, luscious texture, conditioned with nitrogen to give a cascade presentation i.e. “the Guinness pour” 8.5%ABV 77 IBU’s

Also had this beer last time I was there. Was very sweet in flavor, not sure if it was my favorite, almost seemed like a desert beer, packs one nasty kick though at 11%.

Osculum Infame
"The Kiss of Shame"
(Spiced Belgian Golden Quad)
TA Spiced Belgian Golden Quad brewed with a trident of grains: barley, wheat and oats. Righteously spiced with Saaz hops, coriander, and sweet orange peel to balance the demons on your palate.
11% ABV 20 IBU’s

Here is a full list of their beers, they usually have other seasonal ones that aren't listed. They have some good ones, although I'm not a fan of all of them.
http://www.silvergulch.com/brewery.htm
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:45 pm
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:18 am

My problem with most (commercial) fruit beers is that they are too sweet. If I'm gonna drink a fruit beer, I want it to be tart, not sweet.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 36905
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:31 pm

just brew it! wrote:My problem with most (commercial) fruit beers is that they are too sweet. If I'm gonna drink a fruit beer, I want it to be tart, not sweet.


Same here, and if I'm drinking a sour, I'd rather have yeasty deliciousness than fruit.
Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Ethyriel wrote:
just brew it! wrote:My problem with most (commercial) fruit beers is that they are too sweet. If I'm gonna drink a fruit beer, I want it to be tart, not sweet.

Same here, and if I'm drinking a sour, I'd rather have yeasty deliciousness than fruit.

In general, I agree. Though there are exceptions. And beers that have both (e.g. Kriek).
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 36905
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:06 pm

Mikkeller does some great fruit beers. Nice and tangy!

Do you guys over the pond get to drink beers from Bredwog? Scottish craft brewer? Not the same quality as Mikkeller but still very good beer
Q6600|Asus P5b Deluxe|Corsair VX550|4gb Cell Shock 6400|4890|320gb Seagate|Zalman 9700|2407WFP
Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:54 am
Location: England

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Welch wrote:I was curious is there a large difference in making coffee the normal way and a french press. I understand the basic concept behind it, I guess what I mean is, what sort of flavor difference does it have? Is it strong, weaker, brighter, what?

Mostly what Ethyriel said, the main thing is to start with water that's not quite boiling and beans that are ground to the correct consistency. Too hot or too fine, and you'll risk breaking the glass.

The final shot out of a French press is very similar to Turkish (very thick and robust, noticeable sediment).

However, what I like best about the French press is that you can enjoy good coffee on any camping trip which is relaxed enough to tolerate a little glassware.

And that said, I'm drinking drip right now, from a standard percolator/drip machine, and ground with a spice grinder. However, it was bought fresh and pulse-ground just before brewing, and I have no complaints.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5320
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:47 pm

ludi wrote:
Welch wrote:However, what I like best about the French press is that you can enjoy good coffee on any camping trip which is relaxed enough to tolerate a little glassware.


Check out Frieling presses, you may never go back to glass.
Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:56 pm

thegleek wrote:yeah lucky you!!!! never had stillwater. dont think they distribute that beer to michigan area. we the rest we have in bottles, but never seen any gulden draak or sophie on tap at any bar here. finally, never heard of widdershins in my life. st bernardus abt 12 is okay, only cuz i've drank from the godly nectar they call westvleteren 12.


I've never had Westvelteren of any type. I'm trying to get ahold of the one off import they're going to be doing, but I'm not sure I'll actually bite. The prices I'm hearing are nothing special compared to the gray market on ebay, so I might just wait until I can get to Belgium. If they'd do a proper variety pack I'd probably be all over it. The St. Bernardus is pretty damned good, I can't think of much I've tried that I'd take above it. I'm pretty enchanted by Stillwater right now, so pretty much anything from them just out of curiosity. If I saw Foret on tap I'd drink nothing else until it was gone. We just had St. Martin's Brun, and it was awesome, but it was more on par with Nocturnum than Abt 12.

Unfortunately we're about to be limited to IPA, hefeweizens, and pales for the summer. I love my hops and wheats, but they get so mundane after a couple months.

I had Wilco Tango Foxtrot and Heritage Wee Heavy tonight, in the opposite order. Did anyone get to try Odell's Footprint?

Edit: Oh, and Widdershins is a Left Hand barleywine. It's exactly the sort of half assed effort I expect from them, but something struck me about it, and made me wish someone who could follow through had been brewing it.
Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:18 pm

Crown and Coke, with extra Crown. It's a nice follow up to my Crown and Ginger Ale with extra Crown. ;)
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3006
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:57 pm

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:12 am

Ethyriel wrote:Check out Frieling presses, you may never go back to glass.

http://frieling.com/products/coffee-and-tea-essentials/
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Sikthskies wrote:Mikkeller does some great fruit beers. Nice and tangy!

Do you guys over the pond get to drink beers from Bredwog? Scottish craft brewer? Not the same quality as Mikkeller but still very good beer

Yes, Michigan gets Brewdog distributed here along with Mikkeller. Both make exceptionally well crafted beers!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Ethyriel wrote:I've never had Westvelteren of any type. I'm trying to get ahold of the one off import they're going to be doing, but I'm not sure I'll actually bite. The prices I'm hearing are nothing special compared to the gray market on ebay, so I might just wait until I can get to Belgium. If they'd do a proper variety pack I'd probably be all over it. The St. Bernardus is pretty damned good, I can't think of much I've tried that I'd take above it. I'm pretty enchanted by Stillwater right now, so pretty much anything from them just out of curiosity. If I saw Foret on tap I'd drink nothing else until it was gone. We just had St. Martin's Brun, and it was awesome, but it was more on par with Nocturnum than Abt 12.

If you have around $40 per 12oz bottle to spare --- along with some hefty S&H costs, feel free to order some: http://shop.belgianshop.com/acatalog/Westvleteren.html
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Welch wrote:This is sad for me to say but......... One of the more drinkable beer for me is Shocktop Raspberry Wheat. Its a fruity like beer, but its good from start to finish, and as cold as possible.

It is quite indeed sad. But unfortunately you are in the american majority. What I want explained is why SO many people can rate that craptastic of a beer, like on this site:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/67238

...and come back and try to explain it to the rest of us like it's the best "beer" on the planet. Perhaps the corn syrups are fooling ya? Maybe all the corn adjuncts? Perhaps you really don't know what a true beer tastes like? Maybe... you don't even like beer?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7344
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:06 am
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:26 am

thegleek wrote:
Welch wrote:This is sad for me to say but......... One of the more drinkable beer for me is Shocktop Raspberry Wheat. Its a fruity like beer, but its good from start to finish, and as cold as possible.

It is quite indeed sad. But unfortunately you are in the american majority. What I want explained is why SO many people can rate that craptastic of a beer, like on this site:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/67238

...and come back and try to explain it to the rest of us like it's the best "beer" on the planet.

The type of people who hang out on Beeradvocate are likely self-selected to A) dislike anything that screams "chick beer"; and B) automatically hate on anything from Anheuser-Busch.

thegleek wrote:Perhaps the corn syrups are fooling ya? Maybe all the corn adjuncts? Perhaps you really don't know what a true beer tastes like? Maybe... you don't even like beer?

I prefer to turn this around: If you think you don't like beer, it is probably that you just haven't found the beer that you like yet. Furthermore, *anything* that isn't bland "Lite beer" type swill at least raises public awareness about other styles of beer.

If he likes Shock Top, let him drink Shock Top. (Just don't expect *me* to drink it...)
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 36905
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:44 am

just brew it! wrote:The type of people who hang out on Beeradvocate are likely self-selected to A) dislike anything that screams "chick beer"; and B) automatically hate on anything from Anheuser-Busch.

Fair enough. Then what do you have to say about the ratebeer folk? The consensus is pretty much on par:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/shock-top- ... at/140835/

just brew it! wrote:I prefer to turn this around: If you think you don't like beer, it is probably that you just haven't found the beer that you like yet. Furthermore, *anything* that isn't bland "Lite beer" type swill at least raises public awareness about other styles of beer.

If he likes Shock Top, let him drink Shock Top. (Just don't expect *me* to drink it...)

Yes, I agree. I just prefer to think of it as maturity. Back when I was 18-20's, I was drinking the same crap. Over many years, we educate ourselves or have other people educate us. And we leave the training wheels behind and never look back.
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7344
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:06 am
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:49 am

thegleek wrote:Fair enough. Then what do you have to say about the ratebeer folk?

People who care enough about beer to register (and stick around, and post reviews) on *any* beer rating web site are probably pretty heavily into craft beers, and are actively seeking out things that are more interesting than Shock Top and Blue Moon. (Shock Top was basically A-B's response to the success Coors had with their Blue Moon line...)
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 36905
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:56 am

I am drinking Teroir's La Esmeralda, Panama , Mario Carnaval Lot, at 9:45 EDT
ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:58 am

Given the caliber of this thread - made by old school porcelain Melitta with perfect hand grind. Let the masses drink oily press coffee!
ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:06 pm

ordskiweicz wrote:Given the caliber of this thread - made by old school porcelain Melitta with perfect hand grind. Let the masses drink oily press coffee!


You realize that a great deal of the flavor is in the oils?
Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:21 am

Man, I love La Fin Du Monde. I was leaning towards a bottle at Bev Mo last weekend, but ended up with Ommegang Dubbel and Saison Rue instead.
Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:55 am

When we speak to a child who will not eat certain foods or drink some beverages we always feel we need to broaden their horizons to new things, and the goal is to get them to eat and drink a wider selection of stuff.

Yet, at some point as we grow older the opposite thing happens and we seem to narrow our views of food and drink down to what we consider the "best." This behavior in adults is just as rewarded in our 'growing-out' of those childish values and now associate ourselves with a superior standard for what we will eat and drink.

When it comes to nutritional values, our adult changes make some sense, but when it comes to flavors or simple elitism it seems we are just happy to act like children again saying "Ew! ICKY!" and not having parents there to tell us to keep an open mind.

I personally dislike beer, but I do have one on occasion. My only experience with IPA would be to describe it as "Soy Sauce gone bad" yet the review was using words like "Chocolate" to describe it. I do however enjoy the occasional "Budweiser" (1 every 3 months?), most likely because its so mild I find little in it to dislike.

Coffee I can tell a difference between good and bad. I can not tell a difference between $40/lb Jamaican Blue Mountain and $6/lb organic roasted (but I can tell if it is "Store Brand"). I can not tell a difference between burr/blade grinds.

What am I drinking right now? Homemade Sweet Iced Tea make with high-quality loose leaf tea from the internet. Its WAY better than any other tea I have ever had in memory. Yet, I still enjoy sweet iced tea when in restaurants even knowing it will not be as good.
Mightyflapjack
Gerbil
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:59 pm

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:52 pm

Went back out to the Silver Gulch brewery for the wife's birthday. One of the many beers we had for the night was a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dark. Which I think someone a few years back mentioned as this is the oldest brewery in the world :o . I remember being kind of pissed that no one knew what I was talking about when I was looking for this beer a few years back, but thanks to the Silver Gulch carrying lots of imports, I was able to get one.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/808

It was very similar to Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse that I previously mentioned, only the Dark had a good amount more body to it without being overpowering. All around I loved the Dark Hefeweissbier, and I'll added it to my list of beers to get when im out and about.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/142/1946
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:45 pm
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Welch wrote:Went back out to the Silver Gulch brewery for the wife's birthday.

http://beerme.com/region.php?60
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7344
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:06 am
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Vanilla Coke. My favorite soda that is actually still buyable (with my favorite ever probably being Pepsi Blue).

Only know one grocery store that stocks it though, and they usually sell it at $6-$7 per 12 pack. They had a 3/$10 sale last week and I stocked up. If they ever stop, it'll be a rough week while I go through withdrawal....
EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 pm

The real thing - Coke (high test)

Vanilla Coke is the best vanilla pre-made soda, great sugar high drink.
ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:55 pm

thegleek wrote:
Welch wrote:Went back out to the Silver Gulch brewery for the wife's birthday.

http://beerme.com/region.php?60


Ya???? Its listed under Fox Alaska, but its pretty much the same place. Was there more to your post than I understood?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:45 pm
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:13 pm

Thanks Welch, you're making me not dread the hefeweizen days of summer quite so much.

Matilda and Gulden Draak tonight. Eventually I'll get to this Ommegang Dubbel and Alaskan Barley Wine in my fridge.
Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Postposted on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:07 am

Mightyflapjack wrote:I personally dislike beer, but I do have one on occasion. My only experience with IPA would be to describe it as "Soy Sauce gone bad" yet the review was using words like "Chocolate" to describe it. I do however enjoy the occasional "Budweiser" (1 every 3 months?), most likely because its so mild I find little in it to dislike.

Oxidized strong ales can indeed have a bit of a "stale soy sauce" character. Sounds like you may have gotten a really old bottle, or one that had been mis-handled. Probably wasn't an IPA though, as those aren't supposed to have chocolatey flavors in them...
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 36905
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests