Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Tofucube
Gerbil
Topic Author

PC acting weird, wont post then works fine

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:19 pm

I've been having odd problems with my pc recently and i'm not sure what to make of it. I think its a motherboard problem but i'm not sure.

Sometimes I turn on the computer and it wont post, othertimes I turn it on and it runs fine, othertimes I get to the windows logon screen and after I enter the password it is a black screen and the desktop never shows up.
Sometimes when the computer wont post it wont post even though i restart a couple 4 or 5 times. However, if i pull one of my two sticks of ram form the system and then the computer gets through to windows no problem. I would call this a straight up ram problem but when i put the stick back in and restart after a good start up, the computer works fine. Also i've done a ram test and it didn't detect anything wrong with the memory.

I've tried repairing windows and rolling back to a restore point for the black screen after log in stuff. I've also tried updating my motherboard drivers for the posting stuff as well as pulling the battery on the motherboard to reset everything.

This all started after i came home from a week away so i didn't install anything on my computer to make this happen. The computer was working when i left and was unused for a week while i was gone. anyone have any suggestions on whats going on and if i can fix this?

Edit:
sorry i'm running windows 7 64 bit and my system specs are
core 2 quad Q9400
4 gigs gskill ram
western digital 1 terrabyte green hard drive

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Re: PC acting weird, wont post then works fine

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:32 pm

What program did you use to test the systems memory? Try Memtest86+ overnight if you haven't yet.

Sounds to me like it could be a faulty PSU, but its really difficult to tell until you start swapping out parts. I hope you have some spare components handy to do some thorough testing.
FDISK /MBR

Tofucube
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:48 pm

I dont have spare parts around for testing. I know that makes figuring out a hardware problem tough but any other suggestions on how to troubleshoot would be appreciated.

How would a PSU be causing these problems? If its relevant i have a Corsair 620HX.

I did get a BSOD when I started dealing with this that said irql_not_less_or_equal. I didn't actually get the code number of the error.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Tofucube wrote:
How would a PSU be causing these problems? If its relevant i have a Corsair 620HX.

Erratic voltage ripple (damages components), the PSU may also be cutting power or not supplying enough under load. However...

Tofucube wrote:
I did get a BSOD when I started dealing with this that said irql_not_less_or_equal. I didn't actually get the code number of the error.

...Thats RAM related. Usually happens when the Windows Kernel tries to address a location in the system RAM but can't. Can be caused by a number of issues from bad memory itself, fauly memory controler, faulty memory socket, power supply related or even something as simple as the RAM being run at speed / timings that it's not happy with (unstable).

I'm with Dirge, see how far you get with Memtest, or maybe stick the entire CPU / RAM / Northbridge combo under a stressful load with Prime 95's torture test and see how long your system stays up? Try moving RAM's around too, trying new ones (?), checking settings in BIOS after you cleared it all too...
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:43 pm

I'd say the most likely culprits are RAM, PSU, and motherboard in that order. Also a (very) slight chance it could be the hard drive. If not for the fact that removing one stick of RAM seems to make it better, I'd put the PSU first.

Without the ability to swap parts around, further diagnosis is going to be difficult.

Have you tried underclocking the RAM? It is also worth re-seating all the DIMMs (if you haven't already done so), and swapping the hard drive cable.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

thegst
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:40 pm

So just because it hasn't been mentioned and is often a factor in intermittent issues (and because jbi and the rest covered some other possibilities very well) - -

Look for capacitors somewhere on the motherboard that look like this: Image

Note the bulge on top? Blown or dying caps can cause behavior like this, too.
Mazinger [email protected]/3800mhz -Gig EP45-UD3R -4GB Corsair XMS2 CL5-5-5-15 1100mhz -Sapphire HD6850 900/1100 -OCZ Vertex 3 120GB -WD Black 750GB -Corsair TX650
BSOD -Q6700 -Intel DP43SG -8GB PNY DDR3 -HPT 2640x1 -4x2TB WD Green RAID5 -Seasonic S12-500

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:47 pm

Can you post the exact model number of your GSkill RAM sticks? How old are they?

If these chips are running at high specs, can you maybe post what voltages you use, including the North Bridge voltage?

I went through similar problems in the past, had to RMA my OCZ RAM..
Fractal Design Arc Midi|Antec EA-650|Asus P7P55D Premium|Core i5-750|Gigabyte HD6950 unlocked|X-Fi XtremeMusic|24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS|Logitech Z-5500|Logitech G11|Logitech G9x

Tofucube
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:03 am

Thanks for the responses guys, I haven't run memtest just yet but i will tonight.

I've looked at my motherboard and none of the capacitors seem bulging or distorted or anything of the sort.

I may be able to borrow a PSU from a friend to test out if the PSU so if that is necessary i can do that.

The exact ram i am using is G skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231122
They are on the list of approved ram on the asus website. They are not overclocked nor is any thing on my system overclocked. The motherboard is set to detect the setting of the ram automatically. When i look in the bios they seem to be the proper settings listed on the ram. but i can check again to be exactly sure if its necessary.
I have reset the ram into different slots, it has not changed any of the issues.

I bought them in november so they are practically new. Like i said i haven't run memtest yet but assuming memtest says the ram is bad the reason i got new ram may be relevant. I was using this set of corsair ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145184
but one day my motherboard wouldn't post when one of the sticks was in the computer. Memtest said the one stick was bad. I RMA'd it but corsair did a crap job. The first ram sent back was DOA and the second set worked but crapped out again later. I figured Corsair was digging through old piles of ram since they dont really sell that ram anymore. So i bought this new ram to replace it. Now the old problem was clearly bad ram, nothing intermittent about it the computer just wouldn't post with one of the sticks. If i run memtest and this set of ram has gone bad so soon, do you think these two issues are somehow related or do i just have horrible ram luck? If it is related, after i RMA this ram is there something i can do to try and prevent additional stability issues?

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:08 am

Are you observing ESD-safe handling procedures when installing your RAM?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Tofucube
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:34 am

just brew it! wrote:
Are you observing ESD-safe handling procedures when installing your RAM?

I attempt to ground myself but i dont go all out on the ESD stuff so that may have been a problem in the past.

However i ran memtest all night and didn't come up with a error. It would seem that the ram is not a problem this time around. I guess that means its either Motherboard and PSU. Is there anyway to test which one it could be without swapping out parts? if i do need a psu it will a week before i can get one to test.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:43 am

I would first double check that everything is set to the right voltage in your bios especially your ram.
(go by the manufacturers recommendation!)

If everything checks out then I would slightly (5%-10%) over volt your ram.

Next do the same for the north-bridge chip voltage if applicable and then finally do the same for your cpu voltage.

If any of these make a difference that should give you a clue as to the issue.

Changing powersupply would be the first thing to look at since bad power will cause all kinds of weird issues.

I highly recommend using intelburn for stress testing your ram and spu.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Tofucube
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:53 am

Aranarth wrote:
I would first double check that everything is set to the right voltage in your bios especially your ram.
(go by the manufacturers recommendation!)

If everything checks out then I would slightly (5%-10%) over volt your ram.

Next do the same for the north-bridge chip voltage if applicable and then finally do the same for your cpu voltage.

If any of these make a difference that should give you a clue as to the issue.

Changing powersupply would be the first thing to look at since bad power will cause all kinds of weird issues.

I highly recommend using intelburn for stress testing your ram and spu.

So the motherboard voltage is set at 1.8 and the ram is suggested for 1.8-1.9.
I think the timming of the ram is correct. The ram is suppose to run at 5-5-5-15 and i see this in the bios
1st information 5-5-5-15-3-52-6-3
2nd Information 8-3-5-4-6-4-6
3rd information 14-5-1-6-6

I dont know that much about the ram settings in the motherboard so that seems right to me.

I've never messed with the voltage of my parts before, i assume this is all doable in the bios. What kind of differences should i expect or not expect if i do alter the voltage on the parts. Is there anything i need to know not to do when changing the voltage on my components?

I am trying to find a friend with a extra power supply lying around for me to test my rig. Hopefully i'll find someone soon who has one lying around. Does anyone know what the restocking fee is like at retails stores. If a friend doesn't have a PSU for me i'm wondering what it would ultimately cost me to just go buy one at best buy or someplace else and return it after troubleshooting.

I also got a new BSOD this morning. it said IQRL GT zero at system serivce. Any insight on this? It seems like if i cant get my computer past the initial startup phase of the operating system after i log in i'm all good. the computer will work stable while its one. Its only when i turn it off and try and restart that problems occur.

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:56 am

Try setting your RAM voltage to 2.0 volts, it may make it stable. Don't worry, 2 volts is not too dangerous, just let the timings be automatic, or set them to the above-mentioned 5-5-5-15 and don't touch the rest.

Also, do you happen to use Zone Alarm as your firewall?
Fractal Design Arc Midi|Antec EA-650|Asus P7P55D Premium|Core i5-750|Gigabyte HD6950 unlocked|X-Fi XtremeMusic|24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS|Logitech Z-5500|Logitech G11|Logitech G9x

Tofucube
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:55 pm

I'll do that with the voltage.

Hopefully i'll also be able to get a psu soon to test if my psu is the problem.

I do not use zonealarm. The only firewall i use is what is built into windows.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:04 pm

If problems persist remove one stick of ram and see if it performs correctly.If it still screws up replace it and remove the other memory stick and try again.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Tofucube
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:12 pm

vargis14 wrote:
If problems persist remove one stick of ram and see if it performs correctly.If it still screws up replace it and remove the other memory stick and try again.

The computer only works with one stick of ram at the moment, It doesn't seem to matter which stick or which dimm slot, simply that only one stick works. The last time i put both in the computer told me that my bios needed to be rebuilt. But when i remove one the computer boots up no problem at all.

Tofucube
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:00 am

i upped the voltage on the ram and some of the issues changed, I would say its added some stability to the computer but it hasn't fixed it. The computer will always post now but will now sometimes freeze during start up. Does this tell me anything useful about whats going on with my computer or do I just really need to get a PSU to figure out if it's my motherboard or PSU?

Thanks again for the help.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:44 am

Before getting a new PS try installing speedfan,in the charts tab then select voltage where temps are located then you can see your voltages 12v ,5v ,3v, etc.Look for low or high voltages.
Left it for a week, listen closely for i high pitched cackel of gremlins :)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 am

Tofucube wrote:
The computer will always post now but will now sometimes freeze during start up.
Have you reinstalled the OS since getting to this stage? If it was flaky due to RAM voltages before it may have corrupted the install.

Tofucube
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 am

I have no reinstalled the OS since the change but i dont think i was fully clear on what i meant by it will always post now. I will always get my motherboard screen to show up but it doesn't always get to windows loading. Just no more black screens with nothing happening. I could try it if it seems relevant but i still think there is a hardware issue going on.

Also what kind of voltage changes am i suppose to see with speedfan. Having never dealt with my computer voltages before I have absolutely no idea what i should be seeing or taking note of.

Any other suggestions on stuff to try?

Does anyone know where i can buy a motherboard that is LGA 775 if i need to replace my mobo? it seems like all the normal places i buy hardware from have long since dumped their stocks of the stuff.

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Buy it used, on eBay or something, you won't find socket 775 new and reasonably priced..